What is best alternative to Penultimate?

kshatriya

Idea

Sounds like a bizarre query I know but given the hassles I and it seems everyone else is having I am going to switch until this thing (Penultimate) gets back to being usable, especially for normal humans.

Kindly advise what other writing programs you use and recommend. I read somewhere that Good Notes is good?I presently use One Note and it is much better in structure etc. but hand writing quality is poor - very jiggly.

Thanks

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hi again,

I highly encourage you to try Penultimate again when version 6.1 has been released. It's currently pending Apple's approval. We think you'll like the improvements.

Cheers,

Chuck

Sounds like a bizarre query I know but given the hassles I and it seems everyone else is having I am going to switch until this thing (Penultimate) gets back to being usable, especially for normal humans.

Kindly advise what other writing programs you use and recommend. I read somewhere that Good Notes is good?I presently use One Note and it is much better in structure etc. but hand writing quality is poor - very jiggly.

Thanks

After extensively trying them all I would have to say Notes Plus is the best option by far its full feature set with clean interface is the best for me. Has a feature to add audio notes to when you write something so you can jump back to what was said when you wrote it. Has an amazing feature which converts the whole page to text and is quite accurate. Good notes has that to but it's not as accurate or easy to use. Customization and different inks is really cool to, they use vector so your notes come out looking even better. And lastly they have shape recognition which there's do. But the best is just the easy to use response and ink, I can just open and write.

Good Notes is good to but doesn't have as many features as notes plus. I actually used this for quite some time (4months) before switching.to me it's a watered down version of Notes Plus. They have a lot of the same features but at times doesn't look as good or feel as fluid,but still the only contender.

Noteshelf was also good but they don't update it frequently. The UI and notes look old school and it at times can be trusting to use. They've kind of fallen behind.

Notability has the best UI (& on all devices Mac, iPhone and iPad) and even has similar feature sets to Notes Plus but doesn't have stylus integration and speaking with them they don't plan to. Best for annotating PDFs as it's fast. Has one of the best looking ink in my option, but no stylus support is deal breaker.

Penultimate (new version 6.1) is quite he upgrade as the UI and new feature sets have changed, penultimate is really in a class of its own with looks ( really clean and minimal) great to look at. However, the pen strokes are still the same, the look is choppy and in comparison to notes plus or good notes , they look like a third grader was scribbling. If they would incorporate a new ink that's more fluid it would make this app a contender. The second biggest draw back is the "drift" feature, for me I don't like the pressure of writing fast nor does it look good when the Automator is trying to adjust to speed. They need to incorporate the old method which is the transparent adjust which lets people write at there own pace and have it come out looking great. Nice update as it corrected latency and accuracy of ink and stylus but the two biggest issues are left unresolved (look of ink and the chaos the drift feature brings). I get they want natural handwriting but what I write on real paper and what I write on penultimate are vastly different.

You have to give it to penultimate as they update regularly but just feel if they would listen to the concerns of some of the negative reviews they would have an amazing app that reflects other Evernote products

thanks Chuck I will revisit Penultimate but will only use it if the problem of having to click through so many tabs/windows/menus (with a few seconds delay between each) to get back to where one was working has been addressed. Have to say do appreciate the fact that someone from Penultimate is responsive and aware of our concerns. 

thanks also Omnizen for ideas and which I am sure will be helpful to other readers as well. I have made a note to check out Notes Plus although I probably now have enough of these apps (3) to go on with.  

All the best

Thank you Ominzen. I've been trying hard to be a loyal penultimate user, but have found using Penultimate extremely quirky and irritating to use for many reasons. I decided to splurge and pay the $9.99 to try Notes+. I have been playing around with it for a day or two, and I am finding it a joy to use. I had tried other note taking apps, like goodnotes, and noteshelf, but didn't like them enough to switch to them.

Notes Plus is awesome.

Sorry Penultimate you lost me.

have you all realized how good the palm detection of OneNote is working?

I'm not using the App, I'm a Livescribe user, and I prefer Evernote to manage my information (OneNote creates beautiful Notes - not more) - but I've to say they did a great job with taking handwritten notes.

Archived