Glitch: backspacing deletes text box

I upgraded to latest version of evernote on my MacBook Pro and now when I try and delete a letter or word, everything beyond it is highlighted and deleted. It's rendering Evernote unusable. I've tried removing and re-installing the app. Help?

Make sure it only happens on Evernote, which is very likely. You said you reinstalled the version, and the glitch is still there, so is probably a version bug. 

Make a backup for all your notes on File:Export:like .enex and save it in a USB

Now you could do two things:

You could try uninstalling Evernote again, then downloading a previous version of Mac Evernote in here, (http://evernote.en.uptodown.com/mac/old) and it should work  like your previous version did. After installing the version you downloaded, just Import the notes from the back up you made, and then wait for the next Evernote Upgrade to come.

If this doesn't work, you could try to do a system backup to a state previous to your Downloading of the Evernote Version that had the glitch. Restore the system, then Import the backup, and wait for the next upgrade.

You should contact Evernote for help if you are a Premium or Business user, in the menu Help: Customer Service and send them an email

If you are not. and none of the above work, tell me and I'll ask them for you

I'm on version 10.7.5 and it had just occurred to me as well that this might be the problem. It's an older MacBook on loan from my lab at school. I'm just consulting with our computer tech to see how much of a performance hit I'll take if I upgrade the operating system. (In case it's not already obvious I'm pretty much computer illiterate). 

Hi!  I am having the same problem.  I reinstalled Evernote because I had a new hard drive installed on my Mac yesterday.  In Evernote, I made a paragraph of text and when I went to correct a typo in the first line, I highlighted it, and hit Delete like I always do, but all the following text was quickly highlighted and deleted with the back space.  I am using Evernote Version 6.0.15 (451806 Direct).  I will uninstall and try to find an earlier version that works.

Hi,

I tried doing this: "You could try uninstalling Evernote again, then downloading a previous version of Mac Evernote in here, (http://evernote.en.u...own.com/mac/old) and it should work  like your previous version did."  When I download and try to run previous versions I get the following message: evernote-6-0-7-build not recognized. Does anyone have a way to get an older version of evernote? Thanks!  

• Level 5*

When I download and try to run previous versions I get the following message: evernote-6-0-7-build not recognized. Does anyone have a way to get an older version of evernote? Thanks!  

You probably need to do a clean reinstall.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

This page also provides links to several prior versions.

None of the above ideas will help.  The problem is a bug with the latest versions of Evernote run on 10.7.5 Lion.  Others have reported it here:

I received the following response from Evernote.  They acknowledged the bug and claim to already have a fix but it seems they are deliberately refusing to release the fix for some time"

"Today we released Evernote for Mac 6.0.16 which fixes the sidebar font issue on Yosemite. This is a very targeted release and only contains the sidebar font fix and a few other bug fixes including one around note contents not appearing in a shared notebook under specific circumstances and a fix for the #1 crashing bug in our App Store release which occurred during the upgrade process. This does NOT include a fix for the note editor issue for Lion customers who are seeing weird selection behavior after deleting words. We already have a fix for this issue but are continuing to test it internally. Since it’s a note editor change, we won’t ship an update until our next big release but we’ll have a beta version ready soon for those that would like to use the latest software. . . .Please report 6.0.16 issues here so it's easier for us to find. I’ve been out on vacation for a couple of weeks which is why you haven’t seen me comment in the forums lately but I’m back."

As other users have suggested, everyone should contact Evernote and let them know this issue makes their app unusable so they need to release the fix ASAP:

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. After login in their Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.

In my opinion, if they will delay release of the fix then they can at least release an installer for the last version that works (Version 6.0.13 (451655 Direct)).

In the meantime I found this "fix" for those who have a back-up in Time Machine or elsewhere.  Delete the current version of the Evernote application using AppCleaner and restore the last functioning version of the app from a back-up in June.  When you launch the replaced Evernote app it will repopulate preference files and your notes (at least it did with me).  I forgot to check whether it is repopulating notes from the web or from local data files.  You will need to manually reset your preferences.  Of course, back-up your notes just in case.  Probably not as good as a clean install with  6.0.13 but we need Evernote to provide the 6.0.13 installer for that.

Archived