Hi! New to this forum. I'm using the EN web version now. Is the windows version better?

I've been using Evernote for about 4 months or so. I've been using the web version of it. Is the downloaded version better? I'm just worried about changing things up after using it for several months one way. Someone mentioned their are more features in the downloadable version. I would appreciate any help. If it matters I have the paid version of Evernotes. I just love Evernotes and it helps really helped organize my life. I couldn't imagine life without Evernotes now! :)

Downloaded Windows client means copies of ALL your notes are stored offline (yes, if you have gigabytes of notes, the downloaded client will use gigabytes on your hard drive to store local copies).  The advantage is that you can access the information even if you're not online.  You'd think it'd be faster, too, but it isn't all that much, since the Evernote Windows client is pretty slow at retrieving things.  The desktop client lets you do fancier formatting of notes, but only in a very limited way (choice of font, a few other things).  The downside is that you can't easily zoom a note (make the text larger); in the web version, all the normal browser commands (Ctrl-Mousewheel, etc.) work to do that; they don't in the Windows version.

• Level 5*

There are more features in the desktop versions, some things are much easier to use.  I spend most of my time on the desktop, some on IOS and very little on the web.  The only thing you change up is the interface, your data is the same.  My suggestion would be to download the desktop version and give it a spin.  If you don't like it you can always go back to the web.

Ok does this matter. When I'm on a computer I'm always online. So I never site in front of a computer offline. (Robert said this The downside is that you can't easily zoom a note) That I would miss. I like the current setup on thw web version and not sure how different the downloadable version would be. The one thing I'm not liking now is that a friend shared a notebook with me and it's not mixed in with my other notebooks. It's down below my notebooks in a folder called joined notebook called joined notebooks. I thought the notebooks my friend shared with me would be mixed in with my other notebooks.

Is there a video I can watch to see the differences between the 2?   

I think main difference is the ability to have local notebooks with the app (NB which are not stored on EN servers).

I also appreciate win-A and ctrl-alt-N shortcuts which : capture the selected txt (whatever the window is) in a new note / open a new note window... It's easy to have 2+ notes opened... I never use web app (only for test), but if it's ok for you that's fine ;)

(Linux users don't have choice but a lot would like to have an app)

Why would you need to have local notebooks not stored on the EN servers?

How different is the setup on the windows version compared to the web based version. I tried the beta version of the web version and didn't like the setup and went back to the old version.

Any other features you can do on the downloaded version over the web version? 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Since there's a free downloadable version with a reasonable spread of features, why don't you try it for yourself?  There's no harm to your existing notes,  and you can always uninstall it if you don't like the experience.

Local NB, mainly for papers I don't want (nor need) on cloud, also for some passwords.

It can be useful also for notes you don't want to sync now (if, as a basic user, you're near to the 60m limit for example).

As I don't use the web app I can't talk much more about it and the differences between with the win app.

Yes, absolutely, you can use both versions, and switch between the Windows and the Web version at will.  Note that recent changes are only synchronized between the two versions at set intervals (whatever number of minutes you set in Tools | Options | Synch on the Windows version), when you exit the Windows version (unless you turn that off), or when  you manually force a sync (by pressing F9, or by clicking the "Sync" icon).  Changes made on one client (web, Windows, a handheld device) don't immediately show up in the other client.

Everyone says "Give it a try!" and that's true, but you DO have to be careful:  just UNINSTALL if you decide you don't like the Windows version.  If you want to get rid of the Windows version, DON'T delete the notes in it using the Windows version -- because, on the next synchronization, they'll be deleted from the web version, too.  Just uninstall the Windows version from the Windows control panel.

As to why you might want local notebooks:  one big reason is privacy; some companies won't allow sensitive data to be store on third-party computers (which is where the data is if you use Evernote's Web version), no matter how secure they might be.

Rob

Sebr, How do you keep the local notes from updating to the cloud that you need to keep priivate?

Robert, So if I get the windows version I have to remember to manually synch any new info to EN? I like with the web version I don't have to do anything and it synch automaticcally. I keep hearing a couple people say the windows version offers more features but I'm not hearing of any I might use except maybe doing a local notebook for more private stuff.

Has anyone here use the web version and switched to the windows version months later? If so did it make much of a difference. It would be nice to hear from someone who switched from the web version to the windows version. 

And how come I'm limited to how much I can post here? It looks like I'm going to be cut off from posting again on here until tomorrow now :(

Vannatc wrote, "Robert, So if I get the windows version I have to remember to manually synch any new info to EN?"

That's not what I said.

I said the following; please read the whole thing:

"Note that recent changes are only synchronized between the two versions at set intervals (whatever number of minutes you set in Tools | Options | Synch on the Windows version), when you exit the Windows version (unless you turn that off), or when  you manually force a sync (by pressing F9, or by clicking the "Sync" icon).  Changes made on one client (web, Windows, a handheld device) don't immediately show up in the other client."

Your changes are synched automatically, just not instantly.  You'll probably never notice if, in a given work session, you work only on the web or only in the Windows client; it'll only be an issue if you have both open (in separate windows) and try to work in both simultaneously.

• Level 5*

I think newbies to the forum get 5 posts on the first day, spam prevention thing. The desktop versions are more feature rich without a doubt, but if you don't need them, it could be problematic. On the other hand, at the simplest level I think the desktop is faster.

It seems the gist of the thread so far is give it a try.

I use both the Windows and the web version, in about an 80:20 split timewise. 

Note that most of us here are talking about the CLASSIC web version.  If you're using the newfangled BETA web version, it looks VERY different from the classic version.  The Windows desktop version is very similar in appearance to the CLASSIC web version.  If you see this banner at the top, you are using the classic web version:

post-60533-0-30460600-1435945533_thumb.p

• Level 5*

The biggest benefit of using the Mac or windows client is that you can backup your own notes. It's your data and if it's important to you then you shouldn't depend on anyone else to make sure it is always safe.

Archived