Turn off the NAG

I have Evernote Plus and EVERY time I search for a note on my phone, the search opens with a large NAG screen wanting me to upgrade to Premium (and featues I have no use for),.   I understand an occasional attempt to upsell, but EVERY time is extemely annoying considering I have paid for the product I am using.   Can this be turned off?   Why does Evernote think ticking off its paying customers is good business?

Bill

• Level 5*

There are a couple of places you can turn off notices - check Tools > Options > General (Win) to see if you can turn off advertisements (don't know if you can in Plus) and check out your personal settings via Evernote.com where you may be able to opt out of various emails.  If you are on Windows,  make sure you have the latest version (5.8.13) which was tweaked to avoid too many reminders being shown.  You can minimise the level,  but Evernote does have a slightly berserker attitude to 'reminding' you about the benefits of upgrading...

Thanks for all the replies, but I'm speaking only of the mobile app nagging me on searches - I do have the Windows version 5.8.13.89152 on my computer, which is the latest as of today, but I only use the desktop app to update or add more easily to what I need on my phone for business.  The upgrade to Premium nag constantly appears when I perform a search on the mobile app, obscuring part of the results & the nag has to be closed each time.   I too am  :angry: Jeff.    The mobile version is 5.6.2.920 which is the latest for my phone.    I wish I could make it STOP nagging - I need to find another secure way to keep my notes on my phone that respects my choice of paid version.

• Level 5*
@BillWCH:

I'm not clear on whether your phone is an iPhone or Android, but, on the iPhone, see the Evernote app Settings > Customize Home Screen, and the other sections as well.
I don't have EN Plus, I have EN Premium, and on my Home Screen settings it provides options to turn on/off:
  • News & tips
  • Market
  • and a bunch of other stuff

If you are unable to resolve your issue, you might consider Twitter:

Since Evernote now is providing official support to all users via Twitter, you might post your request on Twitter @evernotehelps.  It might also be good to include a link back to your post here.

I have Evernote Plus and EVERY time I search for a note on my phone, the search opens with a large NAG screen wanting me to upgrade to Premium (and featues I have no use for),.

Thanks JMichael.    I have Plus and no such option on my phone, but if they now offer support via Twitter I guess that's my next step.    I did not see that mentioned on their support pages and the announcement you linked pre-dates my signup with Evernote.  Thanks!

• Level 5*

Get that you can ignore ads, mostly.  Also agree that what EN is doing can be annoying, but it is their software.  Relative to this thread, just trying to apply some perspective relative to freeware. 

The issues I have with Chrome are slowness, CPU consumption, and wasted screen real estate.  As annoying as a pop up to me.  So I use Firefox now - free, ad free as far as I can tell, and more of the good stuff on the screen.  So my feet did the walking from Chrome to Firefox.  We all have our own hot buttons.  ;)

Get that you can ignore ads, mostly.  Also agree that what EN is doing can be annoying, but it is their software.  Relative to this thread, just trying to apply some perspective relative to freeware. 

The issues I have with Chrome are slowness, CPU consumption, and wasted screen real estate.  As annoying as a pop up to me.  So I use Firefox now - free, ad free as far as I can tell, and more of the good stuff on the screen.  So my feet did the walking from Chrome to Firefox.  We all have our own hot buttons.  ;)

Yes, except that I started the thread complaining about the nag popping up on my phone with a PAID version of EN every time I did a search of my notes.   Ads on freeware comes with the territory - but once you pay they should not be nagging about an upgrade ALL THE TIME.

For me - on Windows, this constant Upsell nagging just started, I've always been happy with Evernote and a Free 1 year Premium membership just ended, I've never had the need for Premium and no interest in a monthly subscription...

The "messages" are obnoxious and come up from the system tray area on top of any open windows, so if I am watching streaming video I have to be interrupted with a pop up ad - unacceptable.  

No way to contact Evernote unless Premium so have to come to the Forums which I assume the Evernote team does read/review 

If this level of upsell continues I will uninstall, there are other options, OneNote has the features I use and no advertising.

Please fix this and reduce the frequency of trying to upsell, especially when I am not using the app/

• Level 5*

All software must be paid for, one way or another.

I hate ads and nags as much, if not more so, as the next guy.

Over the years I have used trial versions of many apps, and many of them, that don't have a time limit, will show a "nag" popup every time the app is started.  It's very common.

I don't like it, but that's the way of the software world today.

As I see it, if you don't like it, you have two three choices:

1. Quit using the free app
  2. Pay for the app
  3. Learn to ignore the nags/ads (which is what I often do)

The "stick and carrot" motivational approach has been around forever.

Seems to me Evernote is making good use (from their perspective) of this approach.

Just my 2¢.

Everyone is aware of the differences between free and premium - and many people buy premium that want/need these features.

To annoy people with popups until the buy is obnoxious and a poor business model.

It would seem their previous "business model" was not all that successful, if they are needing to be more aggressive about getting paying customers.  Lots of people have threatened to move to Onenote...if the ads are so bothersome but you're not willing to pay for EN, then I say go for it.

As someone who paid for Evernote for several years and has since moved away from it (to Onenote), I would say it's annoying as heck to see so many free users complaining about having to pay for the service b/c of ___  (fill in the blank with your grievance).  Do you honestly think any company is going to lose sleep over losing non-paying customers...???

The huge "Unlimited Storage" upgrade pop in the Dektop app is annoying,

My evernote usage is just below 80kb.

As i most use it for text content.

Please remove it from users are not in sight of reaching the capacity limit for their account type.

There is no use in upgrading to Unilimited Storage for users like me.

You just replace the "Upgrade to Evernote Premium" with some adverts for free users.

Have to chime in on this one -- the new pop up for upgrading is constant and annoying as all hell.  I see it each and every time I open Evernote. I'm on the latest version of the software, and am a windows desktop user.  This level of nuisance is unnecessary; it is unlikely it will do anything to improve the numbers for upgrades by your users.  It will however create some ill will with your company.

• Level 5*

I see this daily, and after a few more times I'm going to uninstall:

So, you don't think the service and benefits that Evernote provides is worth the very low price of one popup a day?

Answering as another interested party on this thread, I would say, JMichael, that while EN is indeed "worth" the price of the popup, that doesn't make it any less annoying.

This akin to asking if the love of our spouse is "worth the price" if they f**rt in our direction as they get out of bed every morning. Our value of them is not really the question. It's about propriety of the behavior, as generally accepted by most. (The forum software censored the word replacing it with 4 asterisks. I'm editing it to leave only one so people know what I had typed originally.)

I don't think anyone would argue with a popup that was occasional (perhaps weekly or monthly). That would not only be fair to ask of us, in exchange for the great free tool and service, but it could perhaps even beneficial as some users might benefit at a later point in being reminded of features they passed on initially. But it just seemed that the new popup was happening far more frequently than that.

Now, JMichael, you're a frequent contributor to these forums with a high profile rating, whereas mine is miniscule by comparison. I appreciate that your perspective on things is different, and you're clearly a strong supporter of EN. Some of us are indeed fans, but just regular users.

And it's just that as a long-time EN user I too was surprised by the sudden and persistent nags. It just didn't seem "the evernote way", and seemed like something was amiss.

When there was an assertion that the latest update would address this, that was encouraging, but it had not addressed it (for me), which is perhaps all the more reason that some folks are pressing about this.

All that said, I have just rebooted today after having applied the update a few days ago. Perhaps the frequency will fade now. I share that as possible encouragement to some readers, if they also had tried the latest update, to no avail.

I started following this thread just today to see if there may be some other news on the matter. Hoping that there is either a resolution, or perhaps a clear statement from someone on the EN team that we should simply expect more frequent nags. If that's the case, then indeed some will vote with their feet, and having observed how other free services changed their models over the year (most notably LogMeIn), I do understand that sometimes free services can't continue as they originally did.

Again, this isn't really about the value of the free level, or the plus, or so on. It seems now just a question of whether such frequent nags are indeed just to be expected and accepted. I realize you think they are. Can anyone from EN confirm that?

I see this daily, and after a few more times I'm going to uninstall:

So, you don't think the service and benefits that Evernote provides is worth the very low price of one popup a day?

Evernote is very much worth one nag everyday, But it is actually one nag every hour.

I think Evernote is not worth that much.

I am not sure how Evernote is taking this huge initiative in the wake of Google Keep and Microsoft OneNote.

I think Evernote is trying to convert Basic edition users to Paid Users to stop them from jumping ship to competitors.

• Level 5*

@carehart:

A very common practice used by many software developers for decades now is to offer a trial version of their software with either a time limit, or a popup nag window each time the app is started.

For many years now, about 7, Evernote has offered a very full-featured version for free, without either a time limit or a nag window.

They thought that after people used the free version for a short while, many of them would upgrade to the Premium version for a ver low cost that added a few features,  and increased limits.  Turns out, there were too many users like you and some other posters in this forum, who have used Evernote for free for years, but still didn't upgrade.

So, they have had to change their sales and marketing plan in order to become profitable.

If Evernote goes out of business, then we all lose.

Frankly, I don't see how one nag window a day is that much of an irritant.  No one likes it, but after 2-3 seconds it's gone and out of the way.

BTW, I am no "fan boy" of Evernote.  If you've seen many of my posts, then you will know that I not infrequently criticize Evernote for excessive bugs and poor design.  However, as a business man, I fully appreciate the need for profit.  It seems to me that any company that provides a service and/or product that you value is entitled to charge and receive fair market price for said service/product.  The gravy train can only last so long.   ;)

• Level 5*

Evernote is very much worth one nag everyday, But it is actually one nag every hour.

I agree, that does sound excessive.  I was basing my comment on the post by @RogerWazup007.

I think Evernote might listen to a complaint that 1 nag/day is acceptable, but 1 nag/hour is too much.

Why don't you guys start a Twitter campaign with that approach?

Since Evernote now is providing official support to all users via Twitter, you might post your request on Twitter @evernotehelps.  It might also be good to include a link back to your post here.

I agree, that does sound excessive.  I was basing my comment on the post by @RogerWazup007.

I think Evernote might listen to a complaint that 1 nag/day is acceptable, but 1 nag/hour is too much.

Why don't you guys start a Twitter campaign with that approach?

Exactly.

I was thinking to start a twitter campaign.

I am not expecting Evernote to offer a service free forever.

I have already suggested a fund raising option from free users.

Now i am suggesting that, Evernote can use Cloud service for storage and sync.

What i am suggesting is, they store Evernote data in Dropbox, Google Drive or Microsoft Skydrive.

So, they may have very less burden from free users, as they do not have to maintain server infrastructure for free users.

I had tried to reply to JMichael's comment to me (#29), replying by email, but it has not shown up in a couple of hours, so I will offer it here, at the risk that it will appear again later, if the process to import email replies is perhaps slow:

JMichael, as a user of software for nearly 30 years, I'm well aware of how trial software works, and how freeware nags used to work. :-) That's not quite what this is, of course.

And if the popup did go away after 2-3 secs I'd not be arguing against it. In my experience, it does not. It is also not something that goes away just by clicking escape. I think those are reasons why people are more up in arms about it.

I really wish there'd be less assertion that we're ungrateful freeloaders and more focus on where our experiences of the nag may be different from each other. 

(And no, I don't think it's wrong for those who have been offered a free service to enjoy it without guilt as long as it's freely offered. And I say that as a "business man", too. If the maker of the service decides they must charge for it, or induce people to upgrade, fair enough. Again, in this case, I wonder if what you are experiencing is the same as what I and others here are complaining about.)

I'm not personally bothered by this popup, I close and forget.

But the style is very intrusive. And the content is... meaningless.

"Go premium" only mean "pay" but it's not a pay-incentive, it's more a leave-incentive.

People don't pay when they're asked to do. They pay when they see benefits.

There is a confusion between the goal and the process here.

The goal is to make people pay (and it's fair) but the process is to make them use EN more and more (and better) - with or without paid features.

So the message should better be some kind of "how-to", use-cases and testimonials titles, leading to blog posts (or embed contents*, or shared notes), than this useless "give us money".

edit: * like the "announces" entry in the left panel. There's maybe something to do with it, like make it unmovable for basic users and displaying tips... Some may complaint but at least it only appears while actively using the app, unlike popup windows.

if this doesn't go in the next update i'm looking for alternatives.

I work at my computer all day and this popup is so annoying. I was skype screen share with a customer the other day and this starting popping up.

People in marketing obviously don't use a PC.

I could deal with one popup when i open the program, no more, so obtrusive!!!

Any kind of popup on my computer crosses an extremely bold red line. This is completely unacceptable behaviour, and in retrospect will be seen by Evernote management as a serious misstep.

I don't mind Evernote nagging me (let's call it what it is) when I open / actively use the app. But having popups just appear while I'm in the middle of my work... that is what malware does to a computer. Evernote: what are you thinking?!

I am a very reasonable person, but this is unbelievable.

And by the way, I fully agree with @SebR above: the nag is pointless. For someone that uses tiny amounts of bandwidth and storage, what is the point of being nagged to upgrade if the features are just not needed/wanted? Be honest about the service provided, and if you can't survive financially by giving things away for free, then change the model!

I don't want to reward a company for putting popups on my desktop. I want to reward them for providing value and being a great company that I am proud to give my money to.

Just want to jump in that I am also getting the popup many times a day.  [unlimited Storage!]  Also, there is no 'x' out, so you need to open the full splash page to close.  I'm glad to hear it sounds like a bug, please fix ASAP.

I'm ok with advertising and the like, but not an intrusive daily popup when I'm not even actively using the product. This latest approach is likely to have the opposite effect of converting free users to premium and send them to alternative platforms. Some have a perspective that it's irrelevant since Evernote isn't directly making profit from the free accounts, consider the user base and what % is free users, now take into account word of mouth not only to peers or online endorsements on communities/blogs but to managers/bosses in businesses these individuals work at. And that is largely where a good source of profit comes from correct?

For the businesses that aren't presently using Evernote and reach a point to consider a solution that Evernote provides, bad word of mouth or a lack of interest for the employees due to negative experiences either directly or from within their own circles, is going to reduce/prevent success of Evernotes software being chosen. It's true that input from employees may not be taken into consideration for such a decision, alternative channels that the business may look into may also be influenced in a similar manner over time though. A negative experience for free users may seem irrelevant when the decision would be for paid plans, however it was the positive experiences that got Evernote well known and preferred over competing alternatives.

The free tier unlikely uses the product as extensively as a business plan would, are they really creating such an upkeep cost that it's good to lose that portion of the userbase? If the majority of the free tier migrates to a competitor that treats them better consider the impact that has over time on getting new paying customers. The free tier doesn't have an issue with previous marketing strategies, just with the current one which is very intrusive in a malware like fashion, it becomes an annoyance. Some will bare with it, most will either uninstall and use an alternative, or someone will provide a way to stop the popup which may affect feature marketing strategies negatively if they'll no longer display, that can't be good for Evernotes marketing efforts towards free tier users can it?

It may sound silly since I'm on a free tier and it's once a day, I really wouldn't mind it if it happened while I was using the software or if it happened much less frequently, if I clicked 'x' I'm really unlikely to react differently any time soon, each time I have to do this just adds to frustration of the product over time. I wouldn't usually feel a need to join a forum just to complain about an advertisement. I imagine there is plenty of others that are annoyed by the approach taken and if it continues will take action that achieves the opposite of the intention for the popup ad, depending on the size of the free tier users and how many go that route, I really don't see that as a positive outcome for Evernote.

• Level 5*

There is a huge difference between the risk we accept as individual users of software, and the risk a smart business owner accepts.

Business owners know, or quickly learn, that most, if not all, software that they rely upon to run their business cost real dollars (or whatever currency they use).  I can't imagine any business owner relying on the free version of Evernote as an important part of their business.

Since you can obtain the Premium version of Evernote for only $5 for one month, any business owner worth their salt would pay the $5 to test Evernote before adopting it for their business.  Most business software cost far more than $5.

Not saying there isn't cost to supporting the free tier. Just that the typical free tier user would have minimal financial impact with their usage, easily covered by premium business model as is usually the case. It only becomes a cost issue in that situation when the user base has a large % in the free tier, even then compared to the non-free tiers the system is likely less taxed and easily covered by Evernotes income channels. The free tier does not bring in profit directly, I explained the benefits in my previous post. With some businesses growing a large community including the low profit or free tiers has a more significant effect. With these communities whom usually adopt a product/service due to their peers/social circles, they are less likely to flock to a new competing service even when it's better due to the community/service they're invested in and many of their peers who are reluctant to move. I don't quite know how to explain it but have witnessed it many times, then again I've also seen others migrate to another product/service when the majority of their community does. Evernote doesn't have the same sort of social communities you'll see with Social Networks or Telecom Providers that I'm thinking of, and I've just realized I've misread your response...

My point was meant to convey the value of free tier in a businesses community and when done correctly contributes towards financial gain. When you push those users away from the product, you're more likely to see a negative affect as opposed to positives you've stated. Regardless of all this, the intrusive popup ads that have appeared recently are unlikely to achieve their goal with their current approach. I can only imagine it increasing conversions out of sheer frustration to make it stop, but for a user that stores/edits a couple text notes a week and a tight budget, $5 a month just to stop popups isn't going to happen. I wouldn't see the loss of these users as a positive for Evernote, or the intention of this marketing strategy. For the users that find a way to continue using Evernote but disable the popup and any other forms of advertisements, Evernote would lose any future attempts at conversion strategies.

If the free-tier doesn't matter that much why offer it or attempt conversions this way? You say that if Evernote goes out of business we all lose, that's not true. The free tier uses will migrate to another provider. As an individual who uses many different software/services I'd be out of money very fast if everything required me to pay monthly fees to use it or suffer a mass of intrusive advertising from all those I don't pay for. I miss out on some awesome software or features by not paying, but if I really need them I'll pay, with preference to a solution that I can pay once and continue to use it forever. That is still viable for businesses, they release new versions with more features/improvements or profit source profit through other channels. If Evernote went out of business, the users would just migrate to another, if that were not an option I'm sure it wouldn't be long for a new business to seize the opportunity. The popup ads should be changed to popup only during Evernote active usage, and being less aggressive with a back-off strategy when dismissed.

Any kind of popup on my computer crosses an extremely bold red line. This is completely unacceptable behaviour, and in retrospect will be seen by Evernote management as a serious misstep.

I don't mind Evernote nagging me (let's call it what it is) when I open / actively use the app. But having popups just appear while I'm in the middle of my work... that is what malware does to a computer. Evernote: what are you thinking?!

I am a very reasonable person, but this is unbelievable.

And by the way, I fully agree with @SebR above: the nag is pointless. For someone that uses tiny amounts of bandwidth and storage, what is the point of being nagged to upgrade if the features are just not needed/wanted? Be honest about the service provided, and if you can't survive financially by giving things away for free, then change the model!

I don't want to reward a company for putting popups on my desktop. I want to reward them for providing value and being a great company that I am proud to give my money to.

I'm glad to see someone else mention the term malware.  I no longer trust Evernote.  This is exactly why I'm weary of subscribing to software.  I now envision a day when I open Evernote and see a popup saying "Subscribe now to see your notes".  A company that would make the mistake of turning their product into malware might also decide to hold my content hostage to encourage me to subscribe.  The real cost of being a free user of Evernote now becomes apparent. It's the wasted time spent transferring my content to a program I can trust.

• Level 5*

I'm glad to see someone else mention the term malware.  I no longer trust Evernote.  This is exactly why I'm weary of subscribing to software.  I now envision a day when I open Evernote and see a popup saying "Subscribe now to see your notes".  A company that would make the mistake of turning their product into malware might also decide to hold my content hostage to encourage me to subscribe.  

Evernote is clearly not malware.  Maybe there was a bug that caused the popup to be more frequent than intended, but Evernote has no interest in holding your data hostage.  In fact, they have a long standing policy of just the opposite.

Evernote's 3 Laws of Data Protection

Effective Date: June 3, 2014 - What’s new »

There are certain things that matter to us, that we fight for, and that define virtually every decision that we make at Evernote. In 2011, we laid them out in our 3 Laws of Data Protection:

• Your Data is Yours
  • Your Data is Protected
  • Your Data is Portable

Evernote is clearly not malware.  Maybe there was a bug that caused the popup to be more frequent than intended, but Evernote has no interest in holding your data hostage.  In fact, they have a long standing policy of just the opposite.

Regardless, I no longer trust Evernote, and in my opinion it certainly is using malware tactics.  It has nothing to do with frequency.  It's about the loss of control over my PC environment. I came to the forums to express my opinions and was met with derisive and condescending responses from regular posters.  This further eroded my opinion of the company and what they might do next.  It's almost as if some of the posters and perhaps even the company itself feels that subscribing to Evernote is a moral issue.  I just can't entrust my data to a company that shows such poor judgement.

• Level 5*
@heysherri:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.  But you are choosing to ignore the facts, and make false, inflammatory remarks about Evernote.

Why continue to post here if you feel that way about Evernote, and no longer plan to use it?

@heysherri:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.  But you are choosing to ignore the facts, and make false, inflammatory remarks about Evernote.
Why continue to post here if you feel that way about Evernote, and no longer plan to use it?

I post because I think my arguments have merit and I think Evernote should take feedback seriously.  I'm not the only one, obviously.  My personal motives are not relevant to the discussion, however.  Why do you have over 6 thousand posts to a productivity tool forum?  I could guess that you work for the company or perhaps get an ego boost from being a respected poster to the forum.  Regardless, motives don't change the facts.

It is not false or inflammatory to say that I do not trust Evernote anymore and that I think they are ruining their reputation.  These are admittedly subjective statements of opinion.

• Level 5*

For the record, I have no association with Evernote other than being a user of their products, and a member of this forum.

IMO, calling Evernote "malware", or saying it uses "malware tactics" is false and inflammatory, and totally with basis.

in my opinion it certainly is using malware tactics.  

For the record, I have no association with Evernote other than being a user of their products, and a member of this forum.

IMO, calling Evernote "malware", or saying it uses "malware tactics" is false and inflammatory, and totally with basis.

in my opinion it certainly is using malware tactics.  

Evernote's nag goes outside of the program's UI to my desktop to be intrusive and disruptive to my computer's operation of other programs for the purpose of advertising to me.  These are facts.  These are facts that in my estimation add up to malware.  The wiki page on malware supports my opinion and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Yeah, but JMichael, the difference is that you can turn off the nag by unfollowing the thread. We can't turn off the nag popup in anyway, short of either upgrading or uninstalling.

As others have said, we're simply proposing that the nag could be done differently and less often, so as not to be obtrusive. That seems very reasonable to ask, even while we remain happy customers of Evernote. (I realize some here feel differently, and see it as a more nefarious change in direction for EN. I am still hopeful that some in a position of responsibility might hear our plea and simply reconsider the approach taken.)

We understand you don't feel there's any need for it to change, JMichael. You've made your point clear. Now it's a matter of time to see how many others feel differently.  

That's really what a forum is for (along with the twitter approach offered by others here). If that's what it takes for the EN folks to see other opinions, it seems the right place for it to happen.

And of course, if the EN folks want to shut down the conversation and say that there will be no reconsideration of the behavior, then it would indeed make sense to close off the discussion, and thread could stand as testament to the countervailing opinions, and EN's decision to stick to their position, if it comes to that. It wouldn't be the first time a company has felt their motivation trumped the complaints of a subset of customers, and then we who were hoping that the nagging nature was all an unintended mistake could simply decide how we would proceed.

But let's cross that bridge when we get there.

• Level 5*

As you guys have pointed out, there is nothing to be gained by repeating the same complaint over and over, especially by the same people.

As I previously stated, and apparently did not get through, the frequency of the nag popup has already been acknowledged by  Evernote as being a bug.  They have said it should occur only when the EN app is started, and that they plan to fix it.

What more could a reasonable person ask for?

JMichael, can you point to the post where you said it was an acknowledged bug? I'm not finding it.

Anyway, and perhaps more to the point, I and others have said that we knew that there was SUPPOSED to have been fixed in the latest update, and I (and perhaps others) had applied it, and were still getting the nag, more often than on startup of EN (for instance, I keep it open for days, just as I don't restart my box for days).

If there is indeed some resource you can point to which acknowledges it IS bug still now that is due to be fixed, then that would be great (and may help quell some of the complaints).

Finally, it's disingenuous for you to complain that it's "the same people". I just went back and counted 16 different people complaining of this, many only once. And I am NOT including yourself and a couple of others who posted other replies, not complaining.

Seriously, not all of us here are just being whiners. Some of us with the complaint do it as much for a concern for the sake of EN, and from a concern that the problem was NOT being heard (or if some DID think the problem WAS already solved, as was the case with the last update which was supposed to have addressed this).

As I previously stated, and apparently did not get through, the frequency of the nag popup has already been acknowledged by  Evernote as being a bug.  They have said it should occur only when the EN app is started, and that they plan to fix it.

What more could a reasonable person ask for?

As I've previously stated, it's not a matter of frequency for many of us.  We reasonable people would ask that the nag stay off our desktop and confine itself to appearing inside the Evernote UI.

Until then, here is a link to the free tool I've been using to help export my notes to OneNote for anyone else interested.  Thanks to BnF for the suggestion.:

http://stefanstools.sourceforge.net/Evernote2Onenote.html

• Level 5*

OK, you guys feel free to carry on if it makes you feel better.

This thread has now turned into a full blown nag for me, so I'm going to do what you can do with Evernote:  unsubscribe

I've said all I can say, and anything more would just be a repeat, which none of us want.   :D

Have a nice day/night/whatever!

OK, you guys feel free to carry on if it makes you feel better.

This thread has now turned into a full blown nag for me, so I'm going to do what you can do with Evernote:  unsubscribe

I've said all I can say, and anything more would just be a repeat, which none of us want.   :D

Have a nice day/night/whatever!

You leave a debate with an appeal to feelings.  You can't support your arguments, therefore the whole affair is unimportant to you.  As it should be.  No one was ever complaining to YOU.  Those of us who are still concerned will see how Evernote responds.

• Level 5*

Seems they have responded, intent anyway, to fix the bug so that only at startup does the message appear.  Assuming they do that does it solve the issue?. 

There is nothing wrong with more chiming in here about this being a problem or starting new threads and communication via other channels. It only strengthens the message of how unpleasant this approach is and for it's removal/alteration. I tolerated it for a while and read about the discussion and supposed fix on this forum then after no luck with an update I felt like participating as well in hopes something will be done about it.

I hope you're right csihilling, I run evernote in the background and just put my laptop to sleep each day. I really wouldn't mind it if it needs to bother me to dismiss it daily if it only occurs when I am actively using evernote. It's very malware like when it intrusively pops up unexpectedly while you're using the computer to do something else, like record a video lesson for others or do a presentation to a community. With a video recording I'd have to go through additional effort to avoid the popup being in the released video, and during a professional presentation is just embarrassing and a unprofessional distraction. I'll give Evernote a bit more time to remedy the issue, otherwise like others I'll migrate elsewhere.

Seems they have responded, intent anyway, to fix the bug so that only at startup does the message appear.  Assuming they do that does it solve the issue?. 

For most users, that will probably be acceptable.

For me, I still won't accept a pop up that isn't contained within the program's UI. It's an unacceptable intrusion for me.

I have already transferred all my notes to OneNote, so it will be a toss up on which program I like better at this point.  So far, the one thing I can say I will miss about Evernote is that it gives me cute little picture icons next to my notes in list view.  OneNote just displays the title, with no picture preview.  I'll miss that, especially for my recipes.  Other than that, it was a seamless transfer, and now I have a program where I can sync all the pictures and other large files I want for free.

csihilling, please do share where that is stated.

If you're saying this based on what JMichael had said, he did not identify the source of his comment when pressed (instead, he chose to leave the thread).

Again, it will be great to hear if there is an acknowledgement of problems with the nag and a plan to address it.

• Level 5*

I came here to post the same question.  I will have to uninstall Evernote if this pop-up does not stop appearing every few hours.

What version are you running? This was a bug in 5.8.12 and should be fixed in 5.8.13 (the current release)

Looks like the previous bugfix did not solve the problem for everybody. We'll get a new fix out shortly.

• Level 5*

csihilling, please do share where that is stated.

If you're saying this based on what JMichael had said, he did not identify the source of his comment when pressed (instead, he chose to leave the thread).

Again, it will be great to hear if there is an acknowledgement of problems with the nag and a plan to address it.

Already answered by a stealth Jmichael.  Has anyone tried the 5.8.14 beta to see if the issue is redressed?

According to this tweet from @evernote official account  the nag screen should appears only *once*:

"You shouldn't get that screen more than once. What platform and EN version are you on?"

So I guess having it many time a day (or at a least everytime Evernote starts) is a bug. Can someone confirm?

If you see any popup for Premium upgrade coming up 2-3 times a day, please report it. Our intent is not to badger anyone into purchasing. 

If you're running into a recurring pop up at all, we need the platform (where you're seeing it) the interval (how often) and the Evernote version info. A ticket via https://evernote.com...support/ticket/ is the best route to go, so that we can ensure the engineers are reviewing.  If you see something incredibly often, this is not intended and needs to be reported. We are already working on addressing all reported instances of overactive pop ups, but more information never hurts. 

Thanks so much for jumping in, gbarry. 

One thing that's not been clear, either from that tweet or even your reply, is whether we should be expecting it even once a day, if we keep it open over multiple days.

More than that, though, the bigger complaint some have is that even if it WAS only once a day, the real annoyance is that it opens while we are NOT using the app. Are you aware of that? And that when we click the button to say "not now" (or "standard", or whatever it says), that then takes us INTO the app?

So you see, it's the disruption it makes to our workflow when NOT working in EN which is the most obtrusive aspect (in addition to it being at least daily, even when we keep it open).

Some have said that if it only happened when they opened the app (initially), that would be far more reasonable, and would solve both the problems above.

So while we appreciate that opening a ticket would be the best way for us each to report individually our concerns, could you please give your thoughts on this, so that we don't all have to go through that, at least for those to whom these may be the main points? Thanks.

Thanks so much for jumping in, gbarry. 

One thing that's not been clear, either from that tweet or even your reply, is whether we should be expecting it even once a day, if we keep it open over multiple days.

More than that, though, the bigger complaint some have is that even if it WAS only once a day, the real annoyance is that it opens while we are NOT using the app. Are you aware of that? And that when we click the button to say "not now" (or "standard", or whatever it says), that then takes us INTO the app?

So you see, it's the disruption it makes to our workflow when NOT working in EN which is the most obtrusive aspect (in addition to it being at least daily, even when we keep it open).

Some have said that if it only happened when they opened the app (initially), that would be far more reasonable, and would solve both the problems above.

So while we appreciate that opening a ticket would be the best way for us each to report individually our concerns, could you please give your thoughts on this, so that we don't all have to go through that, at least for those to whom these may be the main points? Thanks.

Yeah, I can see how that would be intrusive and problematic, and I doubt that's by design. I'm assuming this is on desktop--are you on Windows or Mac? 

After some additional research into the problem, we've been addressing pop ups on the latest versions of our releases, and we're taking some additional steps on an even more recent (as yet unreleased) fix this week, so I expect that a large number of these issues should be resolved very soon. I expect that the pop up when the app is backgrounded will be dealt with as well. If it's not, please PM me directly if you run into it again after this week. 

@carehart--to your questions about frequency--once a day is, in our opinion, too high. Frequency may vary from client to client, but the pop up should only be appearing around once a week. 

Thanks to everyone who has been reporting these recurring pop ups. Again, our intent is never to badger you relentlessly into paying--that's quite simply against our ethos. 

Thanks again, gbarry, for being the voice of wisdom and calm. That's exactly what most of us were hoping to hear. Here's hoping it may restore the faith of some who were especially rattled. Looking forward to the tweak, and to sharing experiences if somehow things remain amiss.

Really glad to hear that we were not "over-reacting" to things, as some seemed to feel. I think most of of us really were just trying to help, and seeking help. Very encouraged to see light at the end of the tunnel.

I've been using Evernote for around two years now. I replaced MS OneNote with it and I've been very happy up until now. Just lately I too have become to be annoyed by constant in my face NAGS to upgrade. I bought Premium for my first year but found I never needed the features it offered over basic and have been using basic for the past year with no issues. All this constant badgering makes me want to chuck it in. I could just go back to OneNote or look around to see what else is out there. Quite frankly free is nice but if it means all this harassment it is not worth it. It does not make me want to upgrade. I need to be clear about that. It makes me mad and puts me off using the program altogether. 

I've been using Evernote for around two years now. I replaced MS OneNote with it and I've been very happy up until now. Just lately I too have become to be annoyed by constant in my face NAGS to upgrade. I bought Premium for my first year but found I never needed the features it offered over basic and have been using basic for the past year with no issues. All this constant badgering makes me want to chuck it in. I could just go back to OneNote or look around to see what else is out there. Quite frankly free is nice but if it means all this harassment it is not worth it. It does not make me want to upgrade. I need to be clear about that. It makes me mad and puts me off using the program altogether. 

See gbarry's response above, it's a series of unintentional errors that are being prioritized to be fixed.

We just pushed a fix for the problem where the upgrade prompt shows in an infinite loop on Windows. You may see the prompt one more time, but then you should be able to dismiss it forever.

If you see it again after that final dismissal, please holler in this thread and I'll see the message immediately.

• 4 weeks later...

After some additional research into the problem, we've been addressing pop ups on the latest versions of our releases, and we're taking some additional steps on an even more recent (as yet unreleased) fix this week, so I expect that a large number of these issues should be resolved very soon. I expect that the pop up when the app is backgrounded will be dealt with as well. If it's not, please PM me directly if you run into it again after this week. 

@carehart--to your questions about frequency--once a day is, in our opinion, too high. Frequency may vary from client to client, but the pop up should only be appearing around once a week. 

Thanks to everyone who has been reporting these recurring pop ups. Again, our intent is never to badger you relentlessly into paying--that's quite simply against our ethos. 

Hello gbarry,

After using Evernote for 10 years now, I can say I've watched you guys grow and flourish in the amount of features and conveniences. However, even once a week is too much of an annoyance for me to deal with. Either tell me I need to upgrade to a paid option, or remove the nagging all together. I personally don't find it convenient enough, even after 10 years, to pay for it. And I will NOT put up with the nagging for too much longer. My data and I will find another home, likely in OneNote, if nothing is done. Not sure when you implemented the changes, but so far I've been notified 4 times, and 1 of those times crashed the Evernote app on my 2015 MBP w/16gb RAM, and due to the immediate nature of me needing to take notes NOW, I had to resort to OS X's built in notes app. Which honestly, I could just go back to using.

If your intent is to never "badger" us into paying, once a week is badgering. Once or Twice a year is not.

• Level 5*

After using Evernote for 10 years now, I can say I've watched you guys grow and flourish in the amount of features and conveniences. However, even once a week is too much of an annoyance for me to deal with.

. . .

And I will NOT put up with the nagging for too much longer. 

Well, if you haven't upgraded in 10 years of using Evernote, I'd guess you never will.

You should count you blessings that you have enjoyed a FREE service for so long.

Most apps that I have used that expect you to pay, either show a nag popup every time you start the app, or disable the app after the trial period.  This is very common, it is not something Evernote invented.

I very much doubt Evernote will miss you.  Goodbye, and good luck, because you will need it.

There is still no other service that provides what Evernote provides, at any price, much less free.

After using Evernote for 10 years now, I can say I've watched you guys grow and flourish in the amount of features and conveniences. However, even once a week is too much of an annoyance for me to deal with.

. . .

And I will NOT put up with the nagging for too much longer. 

Well, if you haven't upgraded in 10 years of using Evernote, I'd guess you never will.

You should count you blessings that you have enjoyed a FREE service for so long.

Most apps that I have used that expect you to pay, either show a nag popup every time you start the app, or disable the app after the trial period.  This is very common, it is not something Evernote invented.

I very much doubt Evernote will miss you.  Goodbye, and good luck, because you will need it.

There is still no other service that provides what Evernote provides, at any price, much less free.

So glad you're employed by Evernote or at the lease getting kick-backs from them. I mean you must be, to be such an arrogant individual. And I've used many FREE services for longer than 10 years and have never been "nagged" by them. You are correct about one thing, they will likely not miss me, but keeping up the trend of nagging people will cost them.

As for counting my blessings, I reserve those for my family members, not for a note-taking app. Maybe you should get your priorities straight? And where in my former statement did I ever say I hadn't upgraded? Stop making things up and find another forum to be dramatic in. That post was meant for gbarry and Evernote's staff, not you.

Maybe you should be more critical of yourself instead of looking like a fool. At no point did I attack you, but that's what you're doing to me. Move on.

• Level 5*

To be clear, I have no association with Evernote other than being a paying customer. I receive no benefits from Evernote for posting here.

And where in my former statement did I ever say I hadn't upgraded? 

Seems clear to me that you have not upgraded since you said:

Either tell me I need to upgrade to a paid option,
I personally don't find it convenient enough, even after 10 years, to pay for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The style is very intrusive. And the content is... meaningless.

"Go premium" only mean "pay" but it's not a pay-incentive, it's more a leave-incentive.

People don't pay when they're asked to do. They pay when they see benefits.

There is a confusion between the goal and the process here.

The goal is to make people pay (and it's fair) but the process is to make them use EN more and more (and better) - with or without paid features.

So the message should better be some kind of "how-to", use-cases and testimonials titles, leading to blog posts (or embed contents*, or shared notes), than this useless "give us money".

edit: * like the "announces" entry in the left panel. There's maybe something to do with it, like make it unmovable for basic users and displaying tips... Some may complaint but at least it only appears while actively using the app, unlike popup windows.

SebR NAILED IT, perfectly.

The absolute best and perfect fishing pond, for new Paid Users, is the current pool of Free Users.

Free Users already have some Brand Relationship

Free Users are already pre-filtered for Customer / Provider fit.

Free Users are already invested in the eco system.

Free Users are the easiest to access (i.e. effectively ZERO acquisition cost)

Free Users have already learned functionality whereas jumping ship to another provider requires Free Users to move all their content and learn a new program.

Free Users are a Gold Mine for the provider.

Free Users who choose not to upgrade, are users who use very limited amounts of provider resources and cost relatively little to maintain their accounts.

Free Users today who don't need additional functionality TODAY, may need greater functionality tomorrow. The entire category of personal income mechanisms called "a job"is being disrupted. As this occurs, the users of tools like Evernote are likely to increase, over the long term. As new growth flattens... because competing products have gained share, and the people who want a tool like this already have aligned themselves with one brand or another... the FREE USERS become THE single most accessible, the single least expensive, the single most likely to convert, group of prospects, hands down. It makes sense that "taking good care of them" is wise, capitalistic, money making, smarts.

For all these reasons and more, the prime PROFIT/GROWTH/BUSINESS CENTRIC imperative is to LOVE LOVE LOVE the Free User, by listening to them, engaging them, providing paths for them to increase their level of engagement with the app, so that the Free Users migrate to a new relationship, such that the Free User reaches a level of relationship, value, benefit, and immersion, resulting in, "YES! Upgrade me please. I WANT what you are offering because it has value to me."

As SebR pointed out, NAGGING "Wanna Upgrade, Wanna Upgrade, Wanna Upgrade" relentlessly day after day, week after week, is NOT cultivating relationship or engagement.

Relentless nagging, "Give me money." is a DIS-INCENTIVE as well as a relationship and engagement KILLER. The very results which any company doesn't want.

The actual numbers regarding percentage of Overall Users vs Free Users and the relative cost to the business of servicing Free Users, as well as upgrade conversion rates and the ratio of Personal Use vs Business use, are publicly available and have been discussed by Box executives, DropBox executives and Evernote executives in the past. Use the Google. The numbers speak for themselves. Keeping favorable relationship with Free Users, even over long periods of time is absolutely in the money making, profitability, growth oriented self-interest of the company.

I haven't checked the numbers out on this, but my hunch is that the recent relentless nagging upgrade campaign is related to two things.

1) Flat growth of New Users: whenever a companies New Customer growth flattens, management gets very active trying to squeeze revenue out of any and all places it can. When growth is good, its easy to turn a blind eye to Free Users. When New User growth is slow or flat, ALL the fish hooks come out of storage, to grab for new revenue anyplace it may be hiding.

An example of this is revealed in a statement made by Netflix Founder Reed Hastings. He was asked what he thought about all the people using their friends and families log-on credentials to access the site instead of getting their own account. Certainly, not cracking down on agreement violators is costing Netflix millions in lost revenue due to account sharing, right? So what is Reed Hastings going to do about all this lost revenue? Nothing.... YET. He said, that as long as the company is growing overall, he has no plans to crack down on the account sharing abuse. This of course also says that when Netflix overall growth slows or flattens, they WILL be cracking down on sharing accounts. Apply this to Evernote's recent naggy promotional efforts and there you have it.

2) The Founder is gone and new management is in charge. I haven't investigated the new people specifically, but it is easily predictable whenever there is new leadership, there will be...

A) New objectives established by the Board and investors, linked to new expectations for MORE MORE MORE. Boards and investors don't ever task new management with a statement like "Everythings great. We brought you in so that everything can stay just as it is."

B) The new leadership will need to prove to the board that hiring them was the right choice and a quick growth or revenue spirt is a common way to attempt to do that. They won't think through a Customer Relationship and Engagement Strategy to get those revenue and growth spirts... they will just jack-up the Nag The ***** Out OF People Upgrade Campaign. It's fast, its cheap, its immediate decisive action with fast measurable results, and will likely generate revenue, even from customers who will end up paying just for the relief of getting rid of the nagging.

C) The founder of Evernote seemed to understand "relationship and engagement" at least for the majority of his tenure. The new leadership, tasked with quick user and revenue growth, is likely less motivated by relationship and engagement, and more motivated by "squeezing the sponge", even if squeezing the sponge could result in the defection of some Free Users. They will be willing to take the risk. An insightful, competent leadership aught to be measuring the rate of defection and the "why" of any defectors, so that they have measures of the extent to which Nagging Upgrade Promotions are actually impacting Upgrades vs Defections. Rarely will any management actually perform such research though. It's nearly always viewed as an unnecessary expense and allocation of resources. Plus, it has the potential to reveal to the board that Nagging Upgrade Promotions was an unwise choice, and no CEO wants data that could reveal that.

Remember AOL? They switch from reporting Overall users, to reporting New Users instead. Why? Because during the era of mass exodus of users from AOL, they were still actually adding lots of new users. Even though 3-5X MORE people were cancelling, than signing up, the Q over Q sign-up numbers still looked good... even though the overall number was plummeting. Except for this AOL example, 10 times more people will threaten to leave, than will actually make the effort to cancel their accounts. I suspect this will be consistent with Evernote user behavior. There are still far more reasons to stay than to cancel, whereas with AOL, there were far more reasons to leave than to stay. Nagging Upgrade Promotions will result in more revenue, and minimal attrition... just as it nearly always does.

Remember the financial crisis of 2008? I heard from hundreds of people who complained about the big banks. I know of, or have heard of ZERO people moving their checking accounts to other banks. The humans will scream and complain about annoying sales pitches all day and night to anyone who will listen.... but the humans are VERY reluctant and highly unlikely to ever proactively act in a manner which alleviates or impacts the thing they're complaining about. Companies have the data which bears this out. They know the people who will take actions consistent with getting relief from their complaint are the extreme minority.

Would it be nice if Evernote management showed greater concern for relationship and user experience with their Free Users? After all, this is supposed to be the new era of commerce where Relationship, User Experience, Sharing, and Engagement are paramount and companies who don't recognize that are supposed to be the Old Guard, that just doesn't get how things are going to work from here forward, right? Nope.... When it comes to money, and getting more of it, nagging and grabbing are still popular, effective, and cheap to implement. Geico anyone? So long as people keep responding to Shove It In Your Face marketing, we will keep seeing more and more Shove It In Your Face marketing.

My suggestion? DO NOT VALIDATE Evernote's Relentless Nagging Upgrade Promotions by clicking on them. DO NOT CLICK on what annoys you, unless you want more of it. If you choose to upgrade your Evernote, go into your settings and upgrade that way. By-Pass the nagging promotions and go around them. Don't give Evernote the click data that will validate their Shove It In Their Face Until They Choke Or Leave strategy.

• Level 5*

Impressive comments,  but I think you'll find that regardless of their financial and management status Evernote has consistently used 'nag' screens since day 1.  It's pretty standard that all free software regularly reminds users that there are better paid versions out there,  or if you do pay for a service,  that there are still further options to upgrade. 

• Level 5*

It's pretty standard that all free software regularly reminds users that there are better paid versions out there,  or if you do pay for a service,  that there are still further options to upgrade. 

As far a Mac software goes, most, if not all, of the other apps that I have paid for do not show any nags to buy upgrades.

I've been Premium Evernote owner for a long time, and I'm pretty sure from the beginning that Premium users had the option to turn off ALL marketing.  So we got no nag popups or displays.  

I also use a number of free Mac apps.  Some never nag.  Others nag only when you first start the app.  Seems about right to me.

It now seems like in EN iOS, every time I switch to the app it shows some feature, like Chat, that it wants to advertise.  This needs to be removed.  The only time features should be advertised is the first use after an update that provides new features.  Then it should provide a link to a web page that provides the details.

There is nothing wrong with Evernote wanting to market their products.  But they should do so via email where the user can opt in or out.

The only unsolicited email we should receive from Evernote is for outages or security issues.

• Level 5*

nagging is, by its very nature, annoying. that's the point of nagging -- to interfere or interrupt someone and deliver that message the speaker thinks is so important for the listener to hear.

i don't know why evernote or any other company would want to nag users, however good their intentions are, because no one likes nagging, right? personally, i avoid apps that nag me, especially if i pay for them. in my experience on the mac, there are few (if any) nags to begin with, and once you have paid, the nags go away.

now, there is a nag i get in one app on ios every single time i turn off wifi (airplane mode on a trip to new zealand last week, for example), and for the duration of the 11 hour flight, every time i opened the app, it reminded me to turn on wifi to get the best experience. if it wasn't the best app in its class, i'd have ditched it long ago.evernote can get away with nagging all they want if they manage to pull so far ahead of the competition that everyone agrees they are the best in class. i might end up accepting it if evernote gets there -- encrypted notebooks please :)

• Level 5*

... if it wasn't the best app in its class, i'd have ditched it long ago...

And the app is...?  :)

pdf expert. nice app that also supports split screen. iannotate would be a close second, but no split screen (last i checked).

• Level 5*

Thanks GM, I'll give it a try :-)

i'll be interested to hear what you think. each app i regularly use (goodreader, pdf expert, iannotate) has strengths and weaknesses, but they are all pretty good for my particular use case. the ipad pro is a bit out of my price range, but one tempting thing about it is the ram, which appears to be more than the ipad 2. occasionally, especially large, heavy pdfs will crash the apps on the ipad right now. in fact, ios 8 and 9 have been frustratingly unstable, resetting the entire tablet at least once or twice a month. 

The recently intensive round of upgrade requests experienced around US Black Friday/Cyber Monday was a bug introduced with some of our holiday efforts. It was not intentional and we would never want to do something that relentlessly intrusive on your experience. As I've mentioned around here before, our business plan has never involved badgering people to pay.

Anyone who was experiencing these should no longer be regularly seeing them. We've made a number of changes under the hood to the service to make sure this doesn't happen again. 

OK, December 3rd, 2015 and I'm using Evernote Plus, version 5.9.1.8742 and every time I try to save a document, I get the upgrade message.   It won't let me copy a document until I tell the pop up to go away.   I'm not going to upgrade now because I seriously doubt upgrading again is going to stop these pop ups.   If Evernote doesn't fix them this soon, I'm going to drop this product and make sure everyone I know that it's performance has gotten worse with every release.  I've got better things to do with my time than whine on a user's forum. 

• Level 5*

OK, December 3rd, 2015 and I'm using Evernote Plus, version 5.9.1.8742 and every time I try to save a document, I get the upgrade message.   It won't let me copy a document until I tell the pop up to go away.   I'm not going to upgrade now because I seriously doubt upgrading again is going to stop these pop ups.   If Evernote doesn't fix them this soon, I'm going to drop this product and make sure everyone I know that it's performance has gotten worse with every release.  I've got better things to do with my time than whine on a user's forum. 

So Evernote push a fix for your complaint,  but you won't accept it because you don't think it will work.  Good luck with that.

I'm going to generate a support ticket for you so I can get some additional info. I'd like at least to see a screenshot of the message you're seeing. 

Archived