Evernote for iOS v7.7.8 Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We released Evernote for iOS 7.7.8 this morning, and it should be available to everyone in the App Store shortly.

This release was also focused on fixing bugs and usability improvements throughout the app.

Notable bug fixes and improvements:

• Fix for missing notes that would not down sync from the web service to some iOS clients for some users
  • Fix for LinkedIn / CardMunch users unable to scan business cards
  • New "Getting Started Tour" available for all new Evernote users. This is also viewable at any time in Settings > Getting Started Tour
  • Improved readability for note list view options menu
  • Watch: Note view now displays up to 9k of text (up from 3k)
  • Watch: Improved search results reliability

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

PS: If you are running iOS 9 Beta and encounter issues, please leave feedback on this thread: iOS 9 - Main thread.

36 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Another update,....and still the camera crashes!!!,..I have the Moleskine Evernote Editions,..They STILL don't Sort ect(why I got them),.....c'mon sort this out please, love Evernote like a lot of people but this is getting silly,, they worked fine before the last two evernote updates so whats going on ?,.. very Frustrating...

Hi,

Aside from the camera crashes, can you please advise on the issues that you're experiencing with the Moleskine Evernote Edition?

Thanks,

Chuck

• Level 5*

Auto updated my iPad, oops. Constantly downloading headers, nice! Won't be updating the phone any time soon. This is so bush league. Geez!

EDIT: After a few long syncs (downloading headers) after minimal changes, it appears to righted itself. But still, why in the first place.

• Level 5*

This is so bush league. Geez!

I remembered hearing that term, but forgot what it meant.

From Dictionary.com:

"mean, petty, unprofessional," 1906, from baseball slang for the small-town baseball clubs below the minor league where talent was developed (by 1903),

from bush (n.) in the slang sense of "rural, provincial," which originally was not a value judgment.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

Cite This Source

On iOS 8.4,  iPhone 5S, with autoupdate enabled,  and this new version won't even install, it hangs at the end of the download.  The app has been completely unusable for the last 2 days.

I have verified that I have enough space on my device to download the app.   Restarting the phone and removing the app and re-attempting the install haven't helped.

The app does run properly on my iPad Air with iOS 8.4, however.

I gave up and deleted and reinstalled the app on my iPhone 5S with iOS 8.4 and that appears to have resolved the issue. It bugs me because there's still a lot of config to do in the app after all this but now I don't have to wait and hope it's fixed soon.

Since updating to v7.7.8, the share extension does not seem to handle ENML gracefully.

Previously, passing the share extension a title and ENML data resulted in the share panel showing the title and hiding the ENML,
then when posted to Evernote service, the ENML would render the page properly.

Now, the share panel shows the title and a partial amount of the raw ENML.
When posted to Evernote service, I no longer receive a formatted page, but rather I see the raw ENML.
We have verified this only occurs with users who have updated to v7.7.8.
v.7.7.7 has no problems sharing to Evernote.

• Level 5

Why is some of my iOS devices upgraded OK and others are constantly resynching all the note headers?

After I upgraded, it tries to sync all headers every time. Please fix it as soon as possible. Because of syncing time, it is hardly to use the app

With this new update on my Iphone 6 Plus - it takes a long time to sync and update the notes/headwrs for my notebooks as from this afternoon - prior to this - this morning - synced immediately!

Please Fix! I have refrained from updating my other IOS devices to prevent the same problem happening!!!!

Hi all,

As part of the "Fix for missing notes that would not down sync from the web service to some iOS clients for some users," the first launch of v7.7.8 will perform a one-time "integrity sync" to verify that all notes are down synced from the service. This involves downloading the sync headers which includes metadata and will inform the client to down sync notes that are not present in the device's database. The duration of this process will vary depending on the number of notes in your account and the speed of your network connection. (As a benchmark, on a speedy wifi network, my account of >6,000 personal notes + >5,000 business notes took less than 3 minutes.)

After the first launch, one-time integrity sync, your device should sync as normal.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

And how can I get rid of all the share buttons and functions? (Evernote is for my personal notes and I would like my real estate back on the small iPhone screen: allow users to switch of sharing)

Hi,

Work Chat is part of the core Evernote product across primary Evernote clients.

Within iOS, if you'd like to remove the Work Chat section from your home screen, you can do so in Settings > Customize Home Screen > Sections by unchecking the Work Chat section. This will remove the section from your home screen, but will place the Work Chat icon in the header of your screen.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

How about fixing he camera, guys? Every time I try to scan any documents it immediately crashes. It's such an annoyance that I actually took the time to sign on to here and let you guys know. I hope you guys take the time to address this issue as well.

Another update,....and still the camera crashes!!!,..I have the Moleskine Evernote Editions,..They STILL don't Sort ect(why I got them),.....c'mon sort this out please, love Evernote like a lot of people but this is getting silly,, they worked fine before the last two evernote updates so whats going on ?,.. very Frustrating...

Hi,

We continue to troubleshoot the camera which has been problematic primarily for iPhone 6 Plus users. There has been a drop in camera crashes with this version (based on crash data reported to us), but there is still more work to do. (We have also heard anecdotally that upgrading to iOS 8.4 has helped some users.)

If you continue to have camera crashing problems, I first recommend to close other apps (double tap home button, then swipe up on apps not being used). This will help the device overall with memory and has worked for many users. Some devices will sometimes get into a bad state where fully rebooting the device is the best way to free up memory.

We're not satisfied with these workarounds, but I offer them here as a means to help. We'll continue working on better solutions.

Thanks,

Chuck

After I upgraded, it tries to sync all headers every time. Please fix it as soon as possible. Because of syncing time, it is hardly to use the app

I'm having the same issue and when I try to submit a bug report from within the app it fails to send. I'm really surprised that this appears to have received such poor QAQC before being released. 

Why is some of my iOS devices upgraded OK and others are constantly resynching all the note headers?

With this new update on my Iphone 6 Plus - it takes a long time to sync and update the notes/headwrs for my notebooks as from this afternoon - prior to this - this morning - synced immediately!

Please Fix! I have refrained from updating my other IOS devices to prevent the same problem happening!!!!

Hi all,

As part of the "Fix for missing notes that would not down sync from the web service to some iOS clients for some users," the first launch of v7.7.8 will perform a one-time "integrity sync" to verify that all notes are down synced from the service. This involves downloading the sync headers which includes metadata and will inform the client to down sync notes that are not present in the device's database. The duration of this process will vary depending on the number of notes in your account and the speed of your network connection. (As a benchmark, on a speedy wifi network, my account of >6,000 personal notes + >5,000 business notes took less than 3 minutes.)

After the first launch, one-time integrity sync, your device should sync as normal.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chuck

I think the issue here is that for a number of us the "integrity" sync repeats every time the app is opened and not just a one-time thing. 

• Level 5*

This is so bush league. Geez!

I remembered hearing that term, but forgot what it meant.

From Dictionary.com:

"mean, petty, unprofessional," 1906, from baseball slang for the small-town baseball clubs below the minor league where talent was developed (by 1903),

from bush (n.) in the slang sense of "rural, provincial," which originally was not a value judgment.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

Cite This Source

Fit in this case, methinks.

For those of you seeing crashes at launch, we'd like to get you into a support ticket so we can nab additional information from you. We're seeing reports of crashes during "restoring PDF", meaning a PDF was opened in-app, the app was then backgrounded (you moved onto another app to do something else) followed by a crash when Evernote is relaunched/reengaged. It's possible the crashes you are seeing above are related. I'll also PM the people in the thread above we think may be impacted by same.

A few ways of verifying a "restore" crash: 

1) Double tap on the home button, what do you see in the Evernote screen? (this will give us the state of the app when you backgrounded it)

2) Have you tried re-launching more than 3 times (Apple should clear the restore state and do a fresh launch). Does this fix the crash? 

3) If you force quit the app (double-tap, swipe up on the Evernote app) and then launch, do you have the same issue?

1-3 should provide additional info if you are running into a restore state issue. If you think you may be running into this particular kind of crash, or are/have crashed and know you work regularly with PDFs while in Evernote iOS, send us this information below via ticket: https://evernote.com/contact/support/ticket

If/when you submit, either PM me your ticket number or reply with it here and we'll have one of our high level techs begin to work with you. 

Also, a brief product forum housekeeping reminder: please keep our product release discussions related to product improvements or issues you are seeing with the product. We have lots of places for editorializing on the forums, and like to keep our official release posts as constructive as possible so our devs can get as much info as possible from everyone involved. Thanks! 

For those of you seeing crashes at launch, we'd like to get you into a support ticket so we can nab additional information from you. We're seeing reports of crashes during "restoring PDF", meaning a PDF was opened in-app, the app was then backgrounded (you moved onto another app to do something else) followed by a crash when Evernote is relaunched/reengaged. It's possible the crashes you are seeing above are related. I'll also PM the people in the thread above we think may be impacted by same.

A few ways of verifying a "restore" crash: 

1) Double tap on the home button, what do you see in the Evernote screen? (this will give us the state of the app when you backgrounded it)

2) Have you tried re-launching more than 3 times (Apple should clear the restore state and do a fresh launch). Does this fix the crash? 

3) If you force quit the app (double-tap, swipe up on the Evernote app) and then launch, do you have the same issue?

1-3 should provide additional info if you are running into a restore state issue. If you think you may be running into this particular kind of crash, or are/have crashed and know you work regularly with PDFs while in Evernote iOS, send us this information below via ticket: https://evernote.com/contact/support/ticket

If/when you submit, either PM me your ticket number or reply with it here and we'll have one of our high level techs begin to work with you. 

Hi,

Have done all of the above and sent you a PM - hopefully the detail makes sense!

Thanks,

Matt

Something awful has happened with the new release. Using it on my iPad, it allows my to edit the current note, but doesn't allow me to close the note...and therefore access all my other notes! I have rebooted the iPhone. What else can I try to regain functionality?

• Level 5*

Something awful has happened with the new release. Using it on my iPad, it allows my to edit the current note, but doesn't allow me to close the note...and therefore access all my other notes! I have rebooted the iPhone. What else can I try to regain functionality?

First, ASAP, copy the contents of the current Note into something else outside of Evernote, because you will like lose any changes that you have made.

You can try these fixes, in order, until one works:

1. Kill the Evernote app, restart your iPad, open Evernote
  2. Kill the Evernote app, uninstall/delete it, restart your iPad, reinstall Evernote
    1. You will lose all unsync'd Notes and changes to Notes.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

If none of this works, then you may want to submit a bug report.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

How about fixing he camera, guys? Every time I try to scan any documents it immediately crashes. It's such an annoyance that I actually took the time to sign on to here and let you guys know. I hope you guys take the time to address this issue as well.

Hi. With each update i pray that the spell check problem will be fixed. For months now, misspellings are never underlined yet they are in every other app. Is this going to be fixed soon? I thought I read several months ago that Evernote was moving to a "common editor." It's becoming a show stopper for me. Thanks.

• Level 5*

I'm still on EN iOS 7.6.5 and holding, until Evernote gets its act together.

It is so sad, and frustrating, that after the many updates starting with 7.7, the camera is still crashing.

And how can I get rid of all the share buttons and functions? (Evernote is for my personal notes and I would like my real estate back on the small iPhone screen: allow users to switch of sharing)

With the new update, it crashes every time I try to send a workchat message. After uninstall-reboot-reinstall, seems to be fixed. But I don't like that kind of "solution".

Another bug, since a lot of time: it crashes every time I try to make an automatic picture capture. I don't understand. Scannable, with I think it has the same technology, works perfectly.

I am a premium user

Cheers

Gilbertt

• Evernote Expert

@jmichael - is there any way for me to go back to an older version? Neither do I have iTunes backup ( i just hate that piece of software.. Grrr) neither is my phone rooted..

Is there a possibility of somehow moving to an older version? I can understand unknown issues, but I realise that the version has issues on loading itself..

I mean no point updating anymore.. And i am surprised because such stuff rarely happen for the ios client..

• Level 5*

@jmichael - is there any way for me to go back to an older version? Neither do I have iTunes backup ( i just hate that piece of software.. Grrr) neither is my phone rooted..

Is there a possibility of somehow moving to an older version? I can understand unknown issues, but I realise that the version has issues on loading itself..

Sorry, none that I know of.  I have read where others have reverted to a prior version using iTunes, but I've never done it myself.

About two years ago I quit doing an immediate update to Evernote (all platforms) because so many bugs started showing up with new releases.

So now I just wait until no material bugs are reported that would affect my workflow.

Remember that time when Evernote decided to scale back to their core business and work on performance across all platforms? Me too. That was great. This app isn't.

The camera is killing me. Not only the constant crashing but the poor auto mode that can't seem to find the borders of a document.

Archived