Frequent, i.e. several times a day, "not responding"

Through many versions of Evernote I have found that "not responding" appears on opening, and within the opened app on many clicks.  I thought it was my computer for awhile but it is the same on aged machines and new ones.

A look at task manager shows that, in fact, it is responding, but ever so slowly.  It will eventually open or execute the command.

What, if anything, can I do to speed it up.  Other apps occasionally, i.e. one a month for a short time also show "not r responding" but none do so multiple times a day.

Thanks,

Stevee

• Level 5*

There are a number of reasons that any app might appear slow, or not responding.  It's very hard to diagnose without access to your machine.

But if Evernote seems to be the only app on your PC that shows this behavior, it might be that your Evernote install has become corrupt in some way.  The solution to this would be a clean install of Evernote.

If you would like to do this:

See Procedure for Clean Reinstall of Evernote Windows Using Revo

Through many versions of Evernote I have found that "not responding" appears on opening, and within the opened app on many clicks.  I thought it was my computer for awhile but it is the same on aged machines and new ones.

A look at task manager shows that, in fact, it is responding, but ever so slowly.  It will eventually open or execute the command.

• Level 5

I run into the "not responding" message several times a day. The most common times I see it is when I am:

1. Opening Evernote in the morning

2. Annotating with Skitch

3. Deleting trash

I have reported it to Evernote Support a few times over the past couple years.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, as well as used the optimize database feature.  The last suggestion from Evernote Support was to split my 30,000 notes into two separate accounts. They are split now, but it did not solve the problem. 

I've learned to live with the problem by moving some of my important documents over to OneDrive and Google Keep.

• Level 5*

I run into the "not responding" message several times a day. 

That's terrible, and unacceptable.   :(

I don't see how Evernote can claim to support up to 100K notes and still not fix that issue.

JB, did you ever try a clean install using the Revo app uninstaller to remove everything?

I'm mostly on the Mac now, and at 13K+ Notes have not seen any performance, or "not responding" issues.

I'm hoping I won't run into the performance issues since the Evernote data structure on the Mac is quite different than on Windows.

• Level 5

I run into the "not responding" message several times a day. 

That's terrible, and unacceptable.   :(

I don't see how Evernote can claim to support up to 100K notes and still not fix that issue.

JB, did you ever try a clean install using the Revo app uninstaller to remove everything?

I'm mostly on the Mac now, and at 13K+ Notes have not seen any performance, or "not responding" issues.

I'm hoping I won't run into the performance issues since the Evernote data structure on the Mac is quite different than on Windows.

Yes, I have uninstalled with Revo. 

The "not responding" time that Evernote is frozen is only about 30 seconds, so it is something I can live with.

• 2 months later...

I know there are a number of threads on similar topics; I've tried to update any posts I have made before.  However, upon finding this I thought I should add that I'm having frequent problems lately as reported here several times a day "not responding" and have to force closed and start over.

Windows 10

Evernote for Windows 5.8.13.8152 (276152) Public

Lenovo Y50

I have just applied a previous registry edit that helped in Windows 8.1--setting the search as you type delay to 0.  Will update once I see any change.

Archived