Can I recover a note's previous version using computer backup?

Sharon P

I somehow copy/pasted one note over another and by the time I noticed (seconds later?) I wasn't able to undo.

I see without Premium there's no EN way to recover it, but is there some way I could do it using last night's computer backup without totally messing up my current file?

I don't really know where and how EN data is stored so not sure if it's possible. But, maybe if I could go offline, open that file on my windows desktop EN to get what I need, then close it, open the new one back up and go online, without totally ***** up sync?

I wouldn't actually have to go back to the previous version. Date/time stamps not important to me. I could copy/paste it to Notepad and when I went back to the regular EN enter it in again if I want. So basically, once I got the old version I'm fine syncing up with the web file.

Anyone ever tried this? It's nice to have a backup when I need it but no idea if I can actually use it. Oh, and yes, I WILL finally purchase Premium. I always had a feeling one day I'd be sorry I hadn't. :-(

thanks....

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you have a global backup of your computer,  you have a copy of an EXB file which is your entire database.  Individual notes are not available at that point.  If you were to restore the contents of one folder - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases - you would step your notes,  all your notes,  back to the state they were in at the time of the backup. 

It's possible that the server would then overwrite them with the more up to date copies it holds.  Making sure that didn't happen would involve fiddling with server connections and copying notes and generally making a huge issue out of repairing one note. 

Or you could just subscribe to premium and go into Note History and get back to the previous content.  Your choice...

• Level 5*

Wow, I can't believe Premium worked retroactively, but it did. THANKS! Really glad I didn't lose this particular note. :-)

Access to Note History is one of the great benefits of a Premium account.

But just so you know, if you want to recover/restore one (or more) notes from a backup, it is possible

The high-level process is this:

1. Disconnect your PC from the Internet
  2. Backup your current Evernote folder/database
  3. Restore from backup this same Evernote folder/database where you want to restore the notes from
  4. Open Evernote app -- which will now show the Notes as of the backup date
  5. Export the Notes of interest to ENEX file(s)
  6. Restore your Evernote folder/database to the version you backed up in Step #2
  7. Now you're back to where you started prior to Step #1
  8. Reconnect to the Internet
  9. Sync
  10. Import the ENEX file(s) from Step #5
    1. This will import into Local Notebook(s)
  11. Now you have two versions of your Notes
    1. The current version shown in your Sync'd NB
    2. The prior version in Local NB
  12. You can now copy the contents from the prior ver to the current ver
    1. Better to copy/paste content instead of deleting the current ver
    2. If you delete the current ver Note, you will lose all links to that Note.
  13. Do a manual Sync -- your account is now restored to the prior ver per Step #12
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I can't believe Premium worked retroactively, but it did. THANKS! Really glad I didn't lose this particular note. :-)

Access to Note History is one of the great benefits of a Premium account.

But just so you know, if you want to recover/restore one (or more) notes from a backup, it is possible

The high-level process is this:

1. Disconnect your PC from the Internet
  2. Backup your ......

This is great, clipped it to EN, thanks!

Archived