Fuzzy text in side bar (Version 6.0.14 (451777 App Store))

icab

Idea

The text on the side bar is not sharp (= is fuzzy and slightly hard to read) when Evernote is shown in a external monitor that is 1080p.

The setup is:

- 15 Macbook Pro with Retina display

- 22in 1080p external monitor

post-101350-0-62618900-1435603328_thumb.

15 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

@icab:  Sorry to say, but your image looks sharp to me.  I don't see the issue.  :huh:

You might try a complete shutdown and power off of everything, including your monitor, then power up and restart.

Also, make sure your external monitor is set to its native resolution (which may not be 1080p).  Often times the text is a bit fuzzy on some monitors when you use non-native resolutions.

Having said that, I'm running a MacBook Pro 15 Retina with two 27-in high-res ASUS monitors, both of which are set at non-native resolutions and the text/images are still very sharp (I have the MBP lid down).  So it may very well depend on your monitor.  I'm running EN Mac 6.0.11 on Mavericks (10.9.5), so it is possible the EN Mac Ver 6.0.13+ changed this.

Good luck!

icab is right, the text on the left bar is not anti aliased (it should be). In fact, it uses the opposite setting to what you have set in OS X's Font Smoothing setting. When Font Smoothing is on, Evernote's left bar is not anti aliased. When Font Smoothing is off, the left bar is Anti Aliased.

• Level 5*

Are you guys having this issue running the latest version of EN Mac, 6.0.15?

If you are, please respond in that thread to the questions asked by Evernote employee Adjusting:

Font smoothing in the left bar where the Shortcuts and Recent Notes are seems borked in this version. When I have font smoothing turned on in OS X preferences, the fonts in that bar are NOT anti aliased. When I turn font smoothing off, they become anti aliased. This is opposite to the expected behaviour.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.

I can't seem to reproduce the issue.

Could you please give me the following information:

- Computer model

- Monitor

- Version of MacOS

- Resolution

Thanks.

• Level 5*

I just updated to EN Mac 6.0.15 on Mavericks (10.9.5), and I don't see the fuzzy text in the Left Side Panel.

It looks sharp to me.

Maybe it is a Yosemite issue?

Screenshots:

EN Mac 6.0.15 Left Side Panel

EN-Mac-6015-Mav-LeftPanel.gif

My Mac

MBA-13-2-2012.gif

I have the same problem, though I wouldn't say it's not dithering... it seems to be using subpixel rendering with bad monitor geometry settings (at least for my monitor). See the attached zoom image, you'll see some of the vertical lines in the letters are red.

I'm using Evernote 6.0.14 (451777 App Store) on OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite) with a Dell S2409W display (1920x1080) on a Mac Mini with Intel HD 3000 graphics (512MB)

post-262458-0-76238400-1435877026_thumb.

Are you guys having this issue running the latest version of EN Mac, 6.0.15?

If you are, please respond in that thread to the questions asked by Evernote employee Adjusting:

Font smoothing in the left bar where the Shortcuts and Recent Notes are seems borked in this version. When I have font smoothing turned on in OS X preferences, the fonts in that bar are NOT anti aliased. When I turn font smoothing off, they become anti aliased. This is opposite to the expected behaviour.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.

I can't seem to reproduce the issue.

Could you please give me the following information:

- Computer model

- Monitor

- Version of MacOS

- Resolution

Thanks.

Same Here on latest Evernote 6.0.15

Imac 27" 2010

Internal and external ,monitors (Dell u2412M)

10.10.4 yosemite

Display default resolutions

I have the same problem, though I wouldn't say it's not dithering... it seems to be using subpixel rendering with bad monitor geometry settings (at least for my monitor). See the attached zoom image, you'll see some of the vertical lines in the letters are red.

I'm using Evernote 6.0.14 (451777 App Store) on OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite) with a Dell S2409W display (1920x1080) on a Mac Mini with Intel HD 3000 graphics (512MB)

Same here.

EN: 6.0.15

2 screens: 1920x1080 + 1280+1024

Hardware: hackintosh (CustoMac 2013)

Same issue here. OS X 10.10.4, Evernote 6.0.15.

I have a dual-monitor setup where I use my Retina MacBook Pro's screen for one screen and a Thunderbolt Display (2560x1440) for the other screen. The left sidebar looks good on my Retina screen and awful on the Thunderbolt display; I can drag it back and forth to show the difference.

Here is a screenshot of Evernote on the Thunderbolt display next to a few song titles in an iTunes playlist. You can see how much smoother the font is in iTunes:

post-63288-0-49889200-1436242691_thumb.p

• Level 5*

The left sidebar looks good on my Retina screen and awful on the Thunderbolt display; I can drag it back and forth to show the difference.

Honesty, I do not see that much difference in font quality between your iTunes and EN Mac screenshots.

It looks like different fonts, but I don't see how anyone could classify the EN Mac screenshot as "awful".

Maybe if you showed a comparison of the EN Mac Sidebar on your Retina screen vs the Thunderbolt display it would be more obvious.

The left sidebar looks good on my Retina screen and awful on the Thunderbolt display; I can drag it back and forth to show the difference.

Honesty, I do not see that much difference in font quality between your iTunes and EN Mac screenshots.

It looks like different fonts, but I don't see how anyone could classify the EN Mac screenshot as "awful".

Maybe if you showed a comparison of the EN Mac Sidebar on your Retina screen vs the Thunderbolt display it would be more obvious.

It's not an issue that comes across well in screenshots. I tried taking a picture with my phone to show what it looks like to the human eye, but the moire pattern made it too hard to spot.

Other people have obviously found this issue, and Evernote is on it. So if you don't even have the issue yourself and have never seen it in person, what's the point of posting an opinion about how bad it looks?

• Level 5*

It's not an issue that comes across well in screenshots. I tried taking a picture with my phone to show what it looks like to the human eye, but the moire pattern made it too hard to spot.

Other people have obviously found this issue, and Evernote is on it. So if you don't even have the issue yourself and have never seen it in person, what's the point of posting an opinion about how bad it looks?

I guess the main reason I responded is because you described the Side Panel as "awful", and the screenshots you posted did not, IMO, support that evaluation.

I honestly don't see the issue, but something does seem to be off, at least for some users.   If this can be easily fixed, then by all means Evernote should do so.

But, IMO, there are other more serious UI/UX issues that have existed for some time, and should, IMO, take a higher priority of being fixed.  The main issue that affects a large group of users is the use of low contrast text, like light grey text with just a slightly darker light grey background.  

See:

PSi nailed this. When Font Smoothing is turned off in OSX, Evernote's side bar font is antialiased (font smoothing == on effect). Attached is a screenshot of the same region with OSX Font Smoothing OFF.

Version 6.0.15 (451807 App Store)

OSX 10.10.4

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

22' 1080p external monitor

post-101350-0-04510100-1436919689_thumb.

Archived