Getting numbered lists to behave properly

I'm having problems with Evernote and numbered lists:

My problem with lists is shown in the following snipit created on my Microsoft Windows 7 version:

2015-06-29_11-49-51.bmp

The list was created using a numbered list and entering Leonard , then moving to a bulleted list for the next line, then going back to a numbered list for James. What I'd really like is for Evernote to return to the previous list and number "James Crocker" as "2" instead of starting a new list.

The other odd behaviour  is in the following screen capture where, after cutting and copying a line to a new location, it ends up as having two numbered lists associated with it:

2015-06-29_12-11-34.bmp

Every HTML editor I've ever worked with can do this correctly; how do I do this in Evernote?

• Level 5*

This looks like a bug to me.

Works OK for me in EN Win 5.8.4 on Win7 Pro x64.

EN-Win-584-List-Format.gif

Maybe a later EN version introduced a bug.

You may want to

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

• 1 month later...

Dunedude,

I'm having the exact same problem. I have a number list that is 15 entries long, and up to four levels of indenting. Copying and pasting messes up the number list, and I get that double number entry like you showed.

1.   Item One.

2.   Item Two.

1.   Subitem One.

1.   1.   Subitem Two.

Something like the above. (I just recreated it from memory).

To fix Evernote's bug, I have to go through the entire list, merge numbered items together by deleting the carriage return between them, and hit Enter to split them apart again .That works 90% of the time. Other times, I have to hit the Number formatting icon to try to remove the numbering formatting, and then merge and split entries.

Another issue with number lists. I had a list all fixed up yesterday. Then today, I opened it up, and surprise! 70% of the level 1 items were changed to bullets!!! (The level 2-4 were still numbered.)

This is getting real frustrating, and is going to make it impossible for me to use Evernote as a collaborative tool. I was just starting to try to use it for that, but if it is this bugging, it will be too frustrating for my colleagues.

Numbered lists can't be copy and pasted, or preserved for one day? Really?

• 2 years later...

I gave up on the automatic numbering and found that when I put a number and period in front of a paragraph, Evernote reads it as a numbered list. 

So I put a bullet list after a numbered list item. 

I spaced down and typed the next number in, and Evernote picked it up as a numbered list item and used the number I had typed. 

I still had to indent the bullet lists, which Evernote changed to a lower-level bullets, but I'm not that picky. 

I'm using Evernote 6.6.4.5512 on Windows 7.

Evernote nested lists.JPG

Edited by doc411
Added Evernote and Windows versions
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 10/04/2018 at 5:23 PM, ninikins said:

Anyone figure out numbered lists? It's been driving me crazy. When I cut/paste following a sub-bullet the number order re-starts at 1.

Does the method from the post above yours not help?

• 5 months later...

Still bugs in numbered lists.

I'm paying a monthly subscription for this?

Any time a numbered list has any changes, the number below that change is restarted for no apparent reason.

This is VERY easily reproduced.

Please fix this. thanks.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
On 9/24/2018 at 12:29 PM, jorel said:

Still bugs in numbered lists.

I'm paying a monthly subscription for this?

Any time a numbered list has any changes, the number below that change is restarted for no apparent reason.

This is VERY easily reproduced.

Please fix this. thanks.

Ditto for me. 

Broken numbered list in Evernote. 
Reconnect a broken numbering sequence in an Evernote list, numbered list.
  1. Copy the note using the three dots icon in the top right hand corner of the note.
  2. This is using an iPhone.
  3. Select the entire list that has the broken numbering sequence And copy it. 
  4. Start a fresh unformatted line in the note and select the numbering list format, and then paste.
  5. The List comes out with the numbers all connected and sequenced without breaks in the numbering.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, MacOz said:
Broken numbered list in Evernote. 
Reconnect a broken numbering sequence in an Evernote list, numbered list.
  1. Copy the note using the three dots icon in the top right hand corner of the note.
  2. This is using an iPhone.
  3. Select the entire list that has the broken numbering sequence And copy it. 
  4. Start a fresh unformatted line in the note and select the numbering list format, and then paste.
  5. The List comes out with the numbers all connected and sequenced without breaks in the numbering.

Is this using the Windows application? (this topic is in a Windows-specific forum)

• 8 months later...

Same for me.

It's a bit annoying not being able to use numerals properly. For example. I got a title 1, then I want to build a paragraph, and then another title 2. But it's not possible, it always return to title 1.