Can't submit a support ticket

I've been trying for several days now to submit a ticket because I turned on 2-factor authentication, then got a new phone and phone number so I can't get a message with an authorization code nor do I have Google Authenticator set up.  I thought I had saved some backup codes, but I'm not finding any saved anywhere.  In attempting to create a support ticket, I enter in my information and the screen shows a dark overlay on the page with what should be a green spinning circle that is frozen and a "Thanks for Submitting" message that does not have a ticket # associated.  I'm assuming this means there was a system error and there is no ticket.  I REALLY need to get into my account asap...

If someone with support could contact me in regards to changing my phone number on my account, I would be very appreciative.  The account is under @gmail.com.  Thanks!!

Capture

• Level 5*

Hi.  User forum here.  Although we have Evernote Admins on the page,  this isn't a link to Support.  If you can't get a ticket number for your issue,  try tweeting @Evernotehelps.  You might want to take your email address off this post too,  or use (dot) (at) style punctuation,  because it's also a public forum and you're currently a spam magnet...

I'll flag this post for our Admins too,  but I don't know whether they'll be able to assist in raising a ticket.  I'll add your email address to the internal note,  so don't be surprised if you get a direct comeback,  but it may take a day or two..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having exactly the same issues: can't use two-factor authentication and can't submit a ticket (get the same "green spinning circle").  

I had to create a separate Evernote account just to post this, which is ridiculous.  There is apparently no other way to contact support (aside from Twitter, which I don't use).  

Would you please create a support ticket for me as well?

• Level 5*
@War Eagle:
The link to a Support Ticket is buried on the Support page on Evernote.com.
Here's a direct link:

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Premium account owners can submit other types of tickets, asking questions or for general help.

There are many support forums that use a recovery method in some shape or form for people who can't remember their password and have no way to obtain authorization codes when they don't have a phone or they change their phone number.  Luckily I was able to locate the backup codes on my Mac at work, but seriously, how difficult is it?  I don't mean to be snarky, but please please please add this option!

• 1 year later...

I have been trying to submit a support ticket and have used all the sites that have been on the forums and it seems to do nothing but send me around in circles while my problem does not get fixed.  All notebooks that have been shared to me I can not tag and have been given permission to do so on all of them.  Please help you are slowing down my work progress.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jherrin said:

All notebooks that have been shared to me I can not tag and have been given permission to do so on all of them.

Just to be clear, are you saying that you cannot add tags to a notebook that is shared to you, or that you cannot tag notes in such a notebook with tags that already exist in it?

You should not be able to do the former (and that's  by design), while you should be able to do the latter.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, jherrin said:

I can't add them to notes that the notebook has been shared with me.  

Let me be a little more clear: you cannot add new tags to notes in a notebook that's shared to you.

You should be able to add tags that already exist in the shared notebook to notes in that notebook.

Is the program showing you a message when you try to add the tags? What does it say?

• Level 5*

Does it say exactly that? Which Evernote client are you using? Are you using Evernote for Business, or regular Evernote?

When I try to add a tag to a note in a shared notebook, if the tag doesn't already exist in that notebook, then the message says: "Only tags that are already in this notebook can be added to this note." This is on the Windows Evernote client, regular Evernote, not Business.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, jherrin said:

I have been trying to submit a support ticket and have used all the sites that have been on the forums and it seems to do nothing but send me around in circles while my problem does not get fixed.  All notebooks that have been shared to me I can not tag and have been given permission to do so on all of them.  Please help you are slowing down my work progress.

I am able to add tags only if they are already used in the notebook.

If I try to add a completely new tag, I get this error on my Mac Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 2.44.56 PM.png
and I have to ask the notebook owner to add the tag to at least one note.

As part @jefito, I understand this is by design. The owner is the decision maker for new tags 

• 2 months later...

Here's an important update for everyone who wants to submit a bug report or support ticket or anyone seeking chat support: You can't unless you're a paid user. Below is the email I got from Evernote after trying to submit a ticket.

I wonder if there was some way to know this before actually spending all that time to submit a bug report...

no more evernote support.png

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

This has been the case for around 2 years -

- and it's why my standard comment about support is "I'd suggest you contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter" - usually without the bold text...

I tried following your instructions for contacting support directly and they do not work. I guess you haven't tried it lately yourself?

no contact.png

I'm not a big Twitter user and, so, for the rest of us who aren't, I guess we can "submit" bugs by reporting them on these forums and then asking a paid user [EDIT: a paid user who experiences the same bug in a similar situation] to submit the bug report for us?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I clicked on gazumped's link to contact support directly, which brought me to the website/screenshot above, which in turn told me to submit a ticket that Evernote no longer accepts unless you're a paid user. I think that the only way of contacting Evernote directly is Twitter.

• Level 5*

The website seems to be 'erratic' when it comes to processing these requests - it used to be the case that if you typed in the 'quick search' box,  the support button would pop up.  I guess they suppressed that and now want folks to use the community route,  but the text on that page should certainly change - it's confusing if there's absolutely no way to get to the ticket page.

As to getting someone else to raise the ticket for a bug,  I'd say that's impractical - the reason for collecting detailed information in the first place is to identify exactly what's going wrong,  and to get direct contact details for the person reporting the issue in case there are follow-up questions.  Having some random third party in the way is just complicating things.

A forum post by itself should be enough - Evernote employees can still contact posters direct via the forum,  or by a direct message.  I'd just prefer to raise a bug report directly and get a response - even if it's just "yes this is a known bug and we're working on it..."

I hadn't seen Twitter as some sort of problem - it's easy to sign up online, a completely free service,  and if you don't want to use it beyond getting some sort of comment from Evernote,  your account can be deactivated easily. 

Even without that there are also LinkedIn and Google+ groups,  the blog,  and a Facebook page so they're not exactly incommunicado...

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

I tried following your instructions for contacting support directly and they do not work. I guess you haven't tried it lately yourself?

I prefer @gazumped instructions "directly if you can"

Occasionally, Evernote opens up support for non-paying users in specific issues
As you showed, the web site will tell you "if you can" which is much less confusing than when they hid the submit button

... the text on that page should certainly change - it's confusing if there's absolutely no way to get to the ticket page.

+1

Though, I did Google search how to submit a support ticket, found the link, used it, thought I submitted it, then was told by email that Evernote will not process it because I'm not a paid user. Perhaps they recently decided not to take all bug reports but haven't updated all their channels and websites. Hopefully they'll get to that soon.

As to getting someone else to raise the ticket for a bug,  I'd say that's impractical - the reason for collecting detailed information in the first place is to identify exactly what's going wrong,  and to get direct contact details for the person reporting the issue in case there are follow-up questions.  Having some random third party in the way is just complicating things.

A forum post by itself should be enough - Evernote employees can still contact posters direct via the forum,  or by a direct message.  I'd just prefer to raise a bug report directly and get a response - even if it's just "yes this is a known bug and we're working on it..."

I updated my prior post to clarify: Ideally, a non-paid user would post about a bug and include a request for any paid user who experiences the same bug in a similar situation to do the community a favor by submitting a bug report since the non-paid user cannot.

Sorry for any confusion!

What did you mean by "raise a bug report directly"? Do you mean just posting on these forums?

I hadn't seen Twitter as some sort of problem - it's easy to sign up online, a completely free service,  and if you don't want to use it beyond getting some sort of comment from Evernote,  your account can be deactivated easily. 

Even without that there are also LinkedIn and Google+ groups,  the blog,  and a Facebook page so they're not exactly incommunicado...

This is not a huge obstacle, but an unnecessary one. Why process bug reports from Twitter and facebook but not from their own website's bug submission form?

I haven't submitted any messages by social media yet.

If any non-paid users have done so recently, can you let me know: Does Evernote actually process such messages or do they just tell you to go back to the forums?

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I prefer @gazumped instructions "directly if you can"

Occasionally, Evernote opens up support for non-paying users in specific issues
As you showed, the web site will tell you "if you can" which is much less confusing than when they hid the submit button

Unfortunately, that is not the case. Here is what actually happened.

1. I Google searched how to submit a bug report to Evernote.
  2. I found the right link, submitted a bug report, and waited.
  3. I got an email saying that they don't take bug reports from non-paid users and that I should go to the forums or social media instead. The picture I posted was from that email. IIRC, nothing on the website said my message wouldn't be processed.
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

What did you mean by "raise a bug report directly"? Do you mean just posting on these forums?

No,  in that context I meant I'd prefer to tweet a comment rather than post one here and hope someone noticed it.  There's no timescale on employees getting around to reading posts here,  although several do seem to be actively following up specific areas to which they have some sort of responsibility.  Just saying 'feature x is not working for me' isn't necessarily going to get a response whereas a tweet should at least get acknowledged,  although I'll confess that's something I'm assuming happens on a regular basis,  and not just in the odd cases where  users have come back to the forums to post the results of a tweet...  it will be interesting to see if you get any more feedback on that.

I've submitted reports and queries by support request,  and posts in this,  and other forums (the Android Beta forum is on G+).  I do use twitter - and I follow EvernoteHelps,  as well as their service status page.  Response times vary - slower sometimes in holiday periods,  and when there's a major release going on,  but they're usually there pretty quickly.

• 4 months later...

Upon trying to submit a request from the contact page, there's no create a ticket button. I'm asked to sign in ( Even though I'm already signed in ) on the top right of the page but I'm just taken straight to the Evernote dashboard.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, OscarGuinane said:

Upon trying to submit a request from the contact page, there's no create a ticket button. I'm asked to sign in ( Even though I'm already signed in ) on the top right of the page but I'm just taken straight to the Evernote dashboard.

Hi.  Are you linking to contact https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new ? Try Twitter ? https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, OscarGuinane said:

First off, kow that ticket submission is only available for paid accounts.  Non-paying accounts can use the Twitter account

As you noted, you're already signed in.  I never sign in a second time

On 1/5/2017 at 1:17 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Are you linking to contact https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new ? Try Twitter ? https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

Thanks, I'll try Twitter, the contact page is what failed for me. ( No send or create a ticket button )

On 1/5/2017 at 1:21 PM, DTLow said:

First off, know that ticket submission is only available for paid accounts.  Non-paying accounts can use the Twitter account

Bug support should be available to all users as Evernote should be interested in all bugs on their end to make sure their product works. A bug will affect paying users too, so anyone who runs into it should be allowed to at least report it. If this is done through Twitter, then that's fine, but there should be a link to Twitter from the contact page.

On 1/5/2017 at 1:21 PM, DTLow said:

As you noted, you're already signed in.  I never sign in a second time

If I'm already signed in, Evernote should not show a sign in button in the top right on their contact page, as that is misleading. I only discovered I was logged in, after clicking sign in.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, OscarGuinane said:

Bug support should be available to all users as Evernote should be interested in all bugs on their end to make sure their product works.

You're welcome to post bug reports using these forums supplied by Evernote

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

You're welcome to post bug reports using these forums supplied by Evernote

Yes, normally I would. In my case however, users won't know how to solve the bug I'm reporting, it's for the Evernote development team to look into. I've tried forum suggestions for similar issues though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 08/09/2017 at 8:31 PM, Jessicaamber said:

I am trying to send a ticket via my Mac and it isn't working. The directions aren't helpful. One of my important notes lost half of it's content for no reason.

If you're a paying customer you can reach out to Support directly on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or anyone can reach them on Twitter https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

I presume you're a Premium user. Me too, and I agree, the support page at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new can be counfoundingly difficult to use. I find that I have to log in and out several times before it will show me the Submit Ticket button.

But WRT your actual problem: Which platform (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, etc.) are you using to try to create the local notebook? What happens when you make the attempt? Hopefully the issue may be something simple enough that we fellow users can give it a try here.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, deboratascher said:

Simply trying to create a local notebook.

If you're on a Mac, see: 

If you're on Windows: File / Create New Local Notebook...

If you're on the web, Android or iOS, then you're out of luck. No such thing as local notebooks in those environments.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, ConnieRoush said:

I am so glad I'm not the only one having difficulty. I am a paid account user and still can't get support...and all I want is for them to send their emailed newsletter to my correct email. This is nuts.

Hi.  Have you checked your account email address online?  That should be the one they're using - or unsubscribe from the current email footer,  and re-subscribe (probably from the same web page) using your correct address?

How to change your account login email address

Archived