a few quick scalability questions for business notebooks

(Did a search, found partial answers)

I'm working with a client who is considering moving their paper invoice management to a Shoeboxed+Evernote Business solution. They will send their invoices to Shoeboxed, which will then auto-import their processed receipts into an Evernote Business account for easy searching with the goal of incorporating other aspects of their business into Evernote down the line as well.

Questions:

1. Do the 100K note and 250 notebook limits also apply to Evernote Business the same way it applies to personal accounts?

2. Does the business library option (which I read isn't searchable?) apply to the note/notebook limit?

I want to make sure that I'm not recommending a solution that will not be able to scale well years down the line for their invoice cataloging needs.

• Level 5*

Firstly, this KB article contains some useful limits of the Evernote service.

Do the 100K note and 250 notebook limits also apply to Evernote Business the same way it applies to personal accounts?

No.  The business notebook limit for a Business account is 10,000 notebooks.  There's no specific limit to number of notes.

Does the business library option (which I read isn't searchable?) apply to the note/notebook limit?

A couple of things...

• It isn't called the business library any more.  It's called Business Home now.
  • Notebooks listed in Business Home are just business notebooks - they're no different from other business notebooks and thus the same limits discussed above include them.
  • Specifically, business notebooks will appear in Business Home if they have been published to the business.
  • Published notebooks in Business Home are definitely searchable!  (Where did you read they weren't?  Maybe Evernote needs to update that reference.)  Specifically, they're searchable in two ways:
    1. On the Business Home screen itself, there is a search box where you can search all business notes.
    2. When you do a search within the business in the regular notes search box, in addition to the search results that you see in the regular notes list, which are comprised of notes in notebooks that you belong to (i.e. that have been shared with you or that you have joined), you might also see a pane at the bottom of the search results list that says something like "Your company has 54 notes related to [your search term].  See results." and you can click on "See results" to see those 54 notes on the Business Home screen.  Those 54 notes are notes that live in notebooks which have been published to the business.

I realize the above is a mouthful; feel free to ask for clarification if you're left with any questions.

Firstly, this KB article contains some useful limits of the Evernote service.

Do the 100K note and 250 notebook limits also apply to Evernote Business the same way it applies to personal accounts?

No.  The business notebook limit for a Business account is 10,000 notebooks.  There's no specific limit to number of notes.

Does the business library option (which I read isn't searchable?) apply to the note/notebook limit?

A couple of things...

• It isn't called the business library any more.  It's called Business Home now.
  • Notebooks listed in Business Home are just business notebooks - they're no different from other business notebooks and thus the same limits discussed above include them.
  • Specifically, business notebooks will appear in Business Home if they have been published to the business.
  • Published notebooks in Business Home are definitely searchable!  (Where did you read they weren't?  Maybe Evernote needs to update that reference.)  Specifically, they're searchable in two ways:
    1. On the Business Home screen itself, there is a search box where you can search all business notes.
    2. When you do a search within the business in the regular notes search box, in addition to the search results that you see in the regular notes list, which are comprised of notes in notebooks that you belong to (i.e. that have been shared with you or that you have joined), you might also see a pane at the bottom of the search results list that says something like "Your company has 54 notes related to [your search term].  See results." and you can click on "See results" to see those 54 notes on the Business Home screen.  Those 54 notes are notes that live in notebooks which have been published to the business.

I realize the above is a mouthful; feel free to ask for clarification if you're left with any questions.

Thank you for this phils. I came across the information that I did by searching around the Internet for my questions. They may have been out of date. Hence why I decided to ask at the source.

This definitely helps with some of the scalability concerns I had for the customer's workflow.

My next question would be if an integrated service is able to publish items directly to business notebooks in the Business Home space. If not, we'll be able to work around it.

Thanks again for the help.

• Level 5*

Looking at the Shoeboxed web site, it says their integration involves selecting the destination notebook where it will write receipts into. The key question then is, do they support Evernote Business such that the business notebooks of the connecting user will be available in the Shoeboxed notebooks list to choose from? That would be really important to verify - otherwise the receipts can only go into someone's personal notebook and someone would then have to move each receipt into a business notebook.

If Shoeboxed supports business notebooks, then you are are in great shape - just create a Receipts business notebook, publish it to the business, and supply that notebook to Shoeboxed for its imports.  Imported receipts will then automatically be available to all business users.

When you publish that notebook, you'll probably want to publish it as View Only, so that users won't accidentally (ahem) delete or alter receipts.

Archived