Merging notes Text Size and color bar

We do a lot of note merging for our business.  Just wondered why in the world the automatic text size is 28 point!

Between the text and the colored bar it takes up a lot of wasted space.

Should be a setting in evernote to change this, but I have been unable to find it.

If the setting cannot be changed, this should be a fix.

post-130821-0-74128200-1435427870_thumb.

• Level 5*

The merge bar/format is atrocious!

I can't imagine that, first of all, any designer worth their salt would propose such a design.

And then, how could this ever get past any UI/UX/QC review????

Finally, after many, many complaints, why hasn't it been changed?

I've done a lot of application and web design/development, and I can't image that it would be very difficult to at least change it to a more reasonable format.  Yes, providing a user selected format would be more difficult, but at least it could be changed now to something more reasonable.

• Level 5*

There is no one format that will suit/satisfy all users for a merge format.

But I hate to complain without at least providing a possible solution.

So, as a start, here's what I'd suggest for the Merge format:

<content of first note, without any new header/divider>

<blank line>

<Horizontal Line>

<format><bold><user's default font><User's Default font size + 2 pt><Note Title></format>

<Horizontal LIne>

<blank line>

<note contents> 

As an example:

EN-Mac-6011-Proposed-Merge-Format.gif

That is definitely more useable @JMichael. I like it. What we have now is an eyesore. I don't see anyone objecting to the above layout. Additionally it would be nice to set one's own styles in settings. At least just the font size.

That is definitely more useable @JMichael. I like it. What we have now is an eyesore. I don't see anyone objecting to the above layout. Additionally it would be nice to set one's own styles in settings. At least just the font size.

I merge notes often, like archives. And JMichael's idea is more readable, no huge headline disturbing.

And if the colored bars was optional, sometimes it's practical to mark the new note, people can choose.

• 7 months later...

Re visiting this again.  I just merged some notes and once again had to deal with the absolutely terrible result of the headers.

I hope the folks at Evernote are working on a fix for this.

Should be able to set it the way you want it. other than just the current TERRIBLE way it currently works.

• Level 5*
On January 30, 2016 at 1:33 PM, TIddly27 said:

Re visiting this again.  I just merged some notes and once again had to deal with the absolutely terrible result of the headers.

They certainly make it easy to spot the separation line between the notes.

Why is this such a problem for you?

For me, the amount of space isn't the issue.  I'd prefer that they didn't use special formatting (table box etc).  Editing gets difficult sometimes particularily on the iPad 

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not that we have to explain ourselves to you, but the current merge format is a huge eyesore and waste of space.

If you then want to send the note to clients or colleagues, it looks very unprofessional, almost like what a 3 YO would do.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Not that we have to explain ourselves to you

No you don't
However this is a forum where we share ideas and concerns.
I shared why it was a concern to me; I was interested in the other person's concerns.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

However this is a forum where we share ideas and concerns.
I shared why it was a concern to me; I was interested in the other person's concerns.

Sorry, it came across like you were demanding a justification, when you said "Why is this such a problem for you?"

The OP had already given his/her reason in the OP.  You could just read that.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

If you then want to send the note to clients or colleagues, it looks very unprofessional

Yes, I would want to edit it before I sent it to a client

15 hours ago, DTLow said:

They certainly make it easy to spot the separation line between the notes.

For me, the amount of space isn't the issue.  I'd prefer that they didn't use special formatting (table box etc).  Editing gets difficult sometimes.

Mostly I want the ability to have it like I want it, not the way some developer wants it.
1.  Takes up way to much room.
2.  Font is too large compared to the remainder of my note.
3.  Compared to the default font evernote sets for the note, the merge bar is MUCH to large.
4.  Unable to easily remove the colored bar.
5.  Adds other things to bar other than just title.
6.  Adds an extra space at the top of the merge bar.
7.  We merge several notes together at once.  Takes a lot of time to go back and make the changes.
8.  Would not want to send this note to anyone, looks like a little child did the merge bar.
Let me know if these are not enough reasons for you.

Rick

19 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sorry, it came across like you were demanding a justification, when you said "Why is this such a problem for you?"

The OP had already given his/her reason in the OP.  You could just read that.

" Not that we have to explain ourselves to you..." seems like a disproportionately defensive and jarring response for a long-time forum member. There's a "sorry"... and then you offer a "You could just read that." 

The #1 reason I pop in here only rarely now. 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, DTLow said:

I apologize that my wording seemed inappropriate.

Apology accepted.  No problem.  Tone is often very difficult to read in brief, Internet-style writing, and intent is virtually impossible.  Sorry if I misread you.

I would very much agree that this is something that should be altered.  When I've completed a project I often merge several small notes together - in this case, the titles take up far more of the final note than the text!

Well, it has only been since June 2015 with no response from anyone at Evernote.

Found one 2012 also:  Showing this is NOT a new issue.  Sure would be nice if this could be changed to at the very least, let us NOT have the merge bar!

Archived