note limits number of photos to 3 and stops me adding text

When I was attending a lecture I was taking notes and taking photos of the projected data on my iPad . It worked fine for six photos and I could add relevant notes immediately after each photo. However, after the 6th photo the Evernote camera icon disappeared and in addition, I could only add notes by inserting them at the beginning of my Evernote note rather than at the end of the previous notes. The iPad camera still worked so i now have the photos in the iPad photo library but not inside the Evernote note.

1) Is there a limit to the number of photos you can add to a note?

2)Why would Evernote not let me continue typing at the end of the note ? There must have been plenty of memory because I could still take photos with my iPad and could insert text at the beginning of the note refining all the following material but could  not add them at the end. Similarly I can attach photos taken with the iPad camera icon to  transfer the photos to the beginning of the note in Evernote  but cannot insert them at the end.

3)The attachment icon in Evernote displays the photos too small to work out which one is which. I cannot read the text on the projections photographed . How can I increase the size in the attachment icon to large enough to read what is on the projection so I can select which photo goes where?

4) How can I insert the photos at the end of my text if a cursor will not appear there?  The cursor will only appear above the last photo .

5) How can I delete one of the photos I do not need in the Evernote? If I tap on the photo it enlarges and then the only 3 options in the top right corner are the @ sign, the arrow to show next photo and the box with the arrow which is for sharing, copying or printing etc. There is no option to delete one item in the whole as far as I can see. I could only find the Delete option for the whole document in the three dots above the whole document. 

I would really appreciate some help 

Thank you

• Level 5*

Hi.  How big are your photos?  Your problem may have been the increasing size of your note.  If you have a free account,  the max note size is 25MB (https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23258452) which suggests you might get 10-12 to a note with an 8MP camera.  If you don't know how many pictures you'll take,  it would be better to take a picture,  add a caption and save the note,  and link the notes with a standard title or tag. 

I'd suggest you check that your original note has synced successfully with the server - again you have an upload limit (see link above for all account types) and more than two max size notes won't sync if you have a free account. 

Note size might also account for your inability to attach a caption to the end of the body - I suggest you move all your pictures into separate notes (carefully,  after making sure they've synced) and use Snippet/ Card view to look for individual pictures.  If you add numbers to the title - 0010,  0020,  0030 etc and sort by name,  you'll get the pictures in order.  If you find you made a mistake in the numbering sequence,  then add 001x etc to infill gaps.

If you tap the photos you're presumably going into Annotation mode which doesn't have a delete that I'm aware of.  I'm not an iPad user,  so someone else will have to chime in with the picture deletion magic.

• Level 5*

When I was attending a lecture I was taking notes and taking photos of the projected data on my iPad . It worked fine for six photos and I could add relevant notes immediately after each photo. However, after the 6th photo the Evernote camera icon disappeared and in addition, I could only add notes by inserting them at the beginning of my Evernote note rather than at the end of the previous notes. The iPad camera still worked so i now have the photos in the iPad photo library but not inside the Evernote note.

Answers to your questions (in blue):

1) Is there a limit to the number of photos you can add to a note?
  • Not that I know of.  The only limits are total Note size, and monthly upload allowance.

2)Why would Evernote not let me continue typing at the end of the note ? There must have been plenty of memory because I could still take photos with my iPad and could insert text at the beginning of the note refining all the following material but could  not add them at the end. Similarly I can attach photos taken with the iPad camera icon to  transfer the photos to the beginning of the note in Evernote  but cannot insert them at the end.
  • ​The EN iOS client has had a number of issues with the keyboard, selecting text, positioning the cursor, etc.
  • It should allow you to type anywhere in the Note that you like, but often it takes multiple attempts, trial-and-error.   ;) 
  • At this point, Note size limits would NOT have anything to do with typing.  That would ONLY occur when sync is attempted.

3)The attachment icon in Evernote displays the photos too small to work out which one is which. I cannot read the text on the projections photographed . How can I increase the size in the attachment icon to large enough to read what is on the projection so I can select which photo goes where?
  • By "Attachment icon", I assume you mean the button to add photos to your note
  • Tapping on this button brings up the photos in your Apple Photo lib
  • If you tap on one photo in the thumbnail view, it then shows you the photo full screen.
    • ​This should large enough to identify the photo you want.
  • You then then either accept it by tapping on the "Select" button, or go back to the thumbnail screen by tapping on the "Back" button.

4) How can I insert the photos at the end of my text if a cursor will not appear there?  The cursor will only appear above the last photo .
  • Even though you may not see the cursor, try tapping on the RETURN key several times to add blank lines to the bottom.
  • This may be a trial-and-error process

5) How can I delete one of the photos I do not need in the Evernote? If I tap on the photo it enlarges and then the only 3 options in the top right corner are the @ sign, the arrow to show next photo and the box with the arrow which is for sharing, copying or printing etc. There is no option to delete one item in the whole as far as I can see. I could only find the Delete option for the whole document in the three dots above the whole document. 
  • Put the cursor in the line just below the photo, and tap the DELETE key.
——————————————————————

Some general comments: In my experience, long notes don't work well on iPhones/iPads
  1. There are lots of opportunities to lose data.
  2. I would enter short Notes, save, and sync often.
  3. As you have found, it is often hard to position the cursor where you want it quickly.
  4. IMO, it would be better to create a separate Note for each topic/slide, with just one, or maybe two, photos of the presentation.
    1. ​This is not only safer, but also allows you to give each major topic a separate Note Title and tags, which could make it easier to find that topic by EN Search in the future.
  5. Then later, on your PC or Mac, create a master TOC Note from all of these separate Notes.

Archived