Evernote Offline Note Reading Not Working With Pebble Watch

Hi all!, 

Anyone with feedback for the following will be highly appreciated!.

Situation: Tried to use Evernote for pebble to access offline notes from the mobile phone and it simply can't, the pebble app have some sort of a nonsense restriction to check for internet connection on the mobile phone prior to even trying to access Evernote notes data, bluetooth is of course active, Evernote Pebble app authorized, etc and the Evernote App (on the mobile phone) has downloaded the notes for offline reading already. Frankly, this seems to be a programming or design error, which for some reason the Evernote app on Pebble requires to check the status of internet connectivity on the mobile phone even though IT WILL NOT USE IT (as bluetooth is what the Pebble Evernote app uses to communicate with the Mobile phone) althought it really does not makes sense as the Bluetooth connectivity should be SUFFICIENT to retrieve the OFFLINE NOTES from the EVERNOTE app in the mobile phone if you get what I mean.

Error: "There was a problem talking with Evernote"

Evernote Team, please have this fixed for the Pebble App, it is simply no sense that the Pebble App will always require the internet connection to read offline notes.

Hi,

The Pebble Evernote app doesn't talk to the locally installed Evernote app on the phone - it talks directly to the Evernote servers, which is why it doesn't know about the offline notes in the Evernote app on the phone.

I believe that shortcut notes are cached, but not other notes.

Damian (Evernote Wearables developer)

[Technical explanation: The Evernote Pebble app uses Javascript on the phone, which can't talk to the local apps.  The advantage of using Javascript is that the app works on both Android and iOS, is not dependent on the version of Evernote installed locally, and even works without Evernote installed on the phone.  The disadvantage is that it can't take advantage of the locally installed Evernote's capabilities].

• Level 5

[Technical explanation: The Evernote Pebble app uses Javascript on the phone, which can't talk to the local apps.  The advantage of using Javascript is that the app works on both Android and iOS, is not dependent on the version of Evernote installed locally, and even works without Evernote installed on the phone.  The disadvantage is that it can't take advantage of the locally installed Evernote's capabilities].

Off topic, but I must compliment you for adding some technical insight.

I'd like to see more of this from the Evernote employees.

Adding the pros and cons was an added bonus.

Thank you!

...and now back to the Pebble discussion

Hi Damian, 

Many thanks for your prompt reply! and excellent throughout explanation, being that the reason it makes sense, I thought there was some sort of local interaction with the app in the mobile phone. I guess this is then the question of portability or platform dependency versus convenience and practicality and which would be of favor.

On one hand I understand making it platform independent is a big plus to ease up the development lifecycle process, on the other side it'd be nice to be able to access offline notes from the phone :).

Anyways, appreciate your feedback and clarification!!.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

My addition is slightly related to the OP's post but might be considered off-topic.

While it might sound strange, my #1 reason for getting a pebble was so that I could check off shopping lists on my write whilst not getting my phone out of my pocket every 10 seconds and fumbling around trying to carry things!

My local shopping center unfortunately has horrible mobile reception on Optus. So to my dismay, when loading up the evernote app on my pebble the other day, ready to get shopping done, it said it couldn't contact the servers and was just a paper weight... I had to pull out my phone again to check things off as usual.

It would be amazing if this simple functionality could be added. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting this.

To my way of thinking and use of the pebble and phone app, I'd rather it sync at a regular interval, and if you load up either app and it's not fully updated, you can trigger one manually. Currently when using the pebble app even when in coverage, it takes some time to load up the different menu lists as it has to go online and verify what exists.

Archived