Evernote for Mac 6.0.15

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hi Evernote land!

We just released 6.0.15 to evernote.com and it should arrive in the Mac App Store soon. In this release, you will find bug fixes, simplified share flows, and no new features.

Here are the release notes:

• New simplified experience for sharing notes and notebooks
  • Improvements to decryption of text with complex formatting
  • Fixed copy and paste of tables
  • Numerous fixes and stability improvements

Looking forward to your feedback!

Jack

34 replies to this idea

I have just upgraded to 6.0.15 on an iMac with Lion. When I try to type something in the middle of a text, all of the text behind it (to the right of the cursor) becomes highlighted and therefore gets deleted if I type any further. The only solution is to hit line break, go back to the previous line and type from there, then close up the gap. Am I the only one with this problem? At the moment, my Evernote is practically unusable.

I have having the same issue on a MPB with 10.7.5. Is there any confirmation of the source, and/or possible fix?

I too am having the "reverse font smoothing" effect.  And it really is reverse: with Font Smoothing on, the sidebar is grainy, with Font Smoothing off, it's fine.

(The little fat fonts elsewhere are fine.. it's just with the ver 6.0.15 update that the SideBar suddenly became so thin a crispy they're hard to read.)

I'm on:

Mac Pro (early 2009)

27" Apple Cinema Display - mini DP connected

GPU AMD Radeon 7950screen res = default 2560x1440

OSX 10.10.4

EN Version 6.0.15 (451806 Direct)

• Level 5*

Looks like encryption fix may still need work:

Just upgraded to latest. Release notes say there were updates/fixes to the encryption. Yup, it's behavior has changed...but still totally *broken*!

(OSX) Now when I decrypt the background goes from white to gray. Still nothing in the decryption box shows up. It doesn't seem to wipe out the whole thing though, so that at least is a positive that I don't have to go through note history and restore every time. We'll see when I get back on Windows if the text is still in there.

When is the search function going to be fixed? For the past few versions Evernote for Mac crashes every time I even click on the search box. This is a major bug and I have sent numerous crash reports. I'm on a MacBook Pro running OS X Yosemite.

I have just upgraded to 6.0.15 on an iMac with Lion. When I try to type something in the middle of a text, all of the text behind it (to the right of the cursor) becomes highlighted and therefore gets deleted if I type any further. The only solution is to hit line break, go back to the previous line and type from there, then close up the gap. Am I the only one with this problem? At the moment, my Evernote is practically unusable.

Update: I have reverted back to an old version of Evernote (6.0.13) and can now edit notes properly without the weird highlighting issue that deleted all my text (this occurred immediately after updating to Evernote version 6.0.15). I had to completely wipe Evernote from my system using AppCleaner, and then manually reinstall 3,500 local notes in five separate notebooks and download 2000 online notes from the server. The whole process took between 2-3 hours. If this issue is due to lack of back-compatibility, please warn users of older OS such as Lion in the updater box. I have also had issues in the past with the app not pasting URLs from the Firefox browser bar, encrypted text disappearing when I open it, and have had four auto-update failures that destroyed my app and forced me to download direct from the Evernote website. Can all this be blamed on the use of an older OSX? (I have not upgraded my Mac OS yet because I have other software that will not work with the newer OSX - those makers specifiy the OS requirements of each version of their software). Anyway, it would be good if somebody could either test on older systems or at least add a disclaimer for people in my situation when updating.

I'm having this same issue. Just upgraded the other day to 6.0.15 and now if I try to edit text mid sentence, it highlights the rest of the sentence. This makes it nearly impossible to edit anything.  I see that the font smoothing issue is getting some response. Any comment from Evernote about this issue? IE, you're aware of it, working on it, know of a fix on my end?  I really hope I don't have to do waht EvernoteQ did because I have FAR more notes and notebooks. If it took him/her 3 hrs, it will take me at least 3 times longer.

If you (friendly Evernote staff/folks) know that this is a Lion/back compatibility issue, could you please chime in. It would be good to know whatever you know so I can decide if I want to invest half a day reverting to an older version or not.

Thank you! 

Font smoothing in the left bar where the Shortcuts and Recent Notes are seems borked in this version. When I have font smoothing turned on in OS X preferences, the fonts in that bar are NOT anti aliased. When I turn font smoothing off, they become anti aliased. This is opposite to the expected behaviour.

same issue here.

• Level 5*

More bug reports with "edit" issue on OSX 10.7.5:

Evernote 6.0.15 Broken for editing previous notes

@Jack and @Marcus:

This is getting very discouraging.  The last 2 or 3 EN Mac updates were supposed to be for fixes to prior bugs.

But they have all ended up introducing new bugs.

When oh when are you guys going to start properly designing and testing updates BEFORE you release them?

All software has some bugs, but Evernote has become far worse than that.  :(

Same issue I've had for a while:

Open a PDF in annotation mode.

PDF opens in a new full-screen window.

Navigate away from that full-screen window.

PDF closes. 

I'm trying to write a paper while referencing a PDF and checking off what I've addressed in the PDF while I go. When I navigate to Chrome, the PDF closes. As you can imagine, this is annoying. 

Edit: Turns out I was on 6.0.14 and this seems to be fixed. If so, was that on purpose? (I've reported it a few times with no response.) I'll report back if it happens to me.

Edit 2: All right. The PDF just closed on me in the background. I only know because I got a notification in the corner saying the note was updated.

• Level 5*

I'm having this same issue. Just upgraded the other day to 6.0.15 and now if I try to edit text mid sentence, it highlights the rest of the sentence. This makes it nearly impossible to edit anything.  

For a great demo of this BUG, please see the following brief video http://youtu.be/hUSMG2-RXPw 

It was provided by the user in this thread:  Automatic text selection

Update: I have reverted back to an old version of Evernote (6.0.13) and can now edit notes properly without the weird highlighting issue that deleted all my text (this occurred immediately after updating to Evernote version 6.0.15). I had to completely wipe Evernote from my system using AppCleaner, and then manually reinstall 3,500 local notes in five separate notebooks and download 2000 online notes from the server. The whole process took between 2-3 hours. If this issue is due to lack of back-compatibility, please warn users of older OS such as Lion in the updater box. I have also had issues in the past with the app not pasting URLs from the Firefox browser bar, encrypted text disappearing when I open it, and have had four auto-update failures that destroyed my app and forced me to download direct from the Evernote website. Can all this be blamed on the use of an older OSX? (I have not upgraded my Mac OS yet because I have other software that will not work with the newer OSX - those makers specifiy the OS requirements of each version of their software). Anyway, it would be good if somebody could either test on older systems or at least add a disclaimer for people in my situation when updating.

I'm having this same issue. Just upgraded the other day to 6.0.15 and now if I try to edit text mid sentence, it highlights the rest of the sentence. This makes it nearly impossible to edit anything.  I see that the font smoothing issue is getting some response. Any comment from Evernote about this issue? IE, you're aware of it, working on it, know of a fix on my end?  I really hope I don't have to do waht EvernoteQ did because I have FAR more notes and notebooks. If it took him/her 3 hrs, it will take me at least 3 times longer.

If you (friendly Evernote staff/folks) know that this is a Lion/back compatibility issue, could you please chime in. It would be good to know whatever you know so I can decide if I want to invest half a day reverting to an older version or not.

Thank you! 

I am also experiencing this problem.  Thanks to JMichael for posting the video of the bug: http://youtu.be/hUSMG2-RXPw

The bug makes Evernote unusable.  Like the posters above, I also experienced the issue on 10.7.5. Lion.  Perhaps others know where to download an authentic version of Evernote 6.0.13 (which lacks this problem), i.e. without the malware/spyware, etc. that comes with downloads from CNET and other such sites.

To Evernote engineers:

1. If the incompatibility is with Lion, then please allow us to download Version 6.0.13 (Direct) until the issue is resolved.  

2. If you release new versions that are not compatible with certain operating systems then please WARN users who attempt to download on those operating systems.

Evernote acknowledged the text selection/editor bug and claim to already have a fix but it seems they are deliberately refusing to release the fix for some time"

"Today we released Evernote for Mac 6.0.16 which fixes the sidebar font issue on Yosemite. This is a very targeted release and only contains the sidebar font fix and a few other bug fixes including one around note contents not appearing in a shared notebook under specific circumstances and a fix for the #1 crashing bug in our App Store release which occurred during the upgrade process. This does NOT include a fix for the note editor issue for Lion customers who are seeing weird selection behavior after deleting words. We already have a fix for this issue but are continuing to test it internally. Since it’s a note editor change, we won’t ship an update until our next big release but we’ll have a beta version ready soon for those that would like to use the latest software. . . .Please report 6.0.16 issues here so it's easier for us to find. I’ve been out on vacation for a couple of weeks which is why you haven’t seen me comment in the forums lately but I’m back."

As other users have suggested, everyone should contact Evernote and let them know this issue makes their app unusable so they need to release the fix ASAP:

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. After login in their Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.

In my opinion, if they will delay release of the fix then they can at least release an installer for the last version that works (Version 6.0.13 (451655 Direct)).

In the meantime I found this "fix" for those who have a back-up in Time Machine or elsewhere.  Delete the current version of the Evernote application using AppCleaner and restore the last functioning version of the app from a back-up in June.  When you launch the replaced Evernote app it will repopulate preference files and your notes (at least it did with me).  I forgot to check whether it is repopulating notes from the web or from local data files.  You will need to manually reset your preferences.  Of course, back-up your notes just in case.  Probably not as good as a clean install with  6.0.13 but we need Evernote to provide the 6.0.13 installer for that.

• Level 5*

In my opinion, if they will delay release of the fix then they can at least release an installer for the last version that works (Version 6.0.13 (451655 Direct)).

In the meantime I found this "fix" for those who have a back-up in Time Machine or elsewhere.  Delete the current version of the Evernote application using AppCleaner and restore the last functioning version of the app from a back-up in June.  When you launch the replaced Evernote app it will repopulate preference files and your notes (at least it did with me).  I forgot to check whether it is repopulating notes from the web or from local data files.  You will need to manually reset your preferences.  Of course, back-up your notes just in case.  Probably not as good as a clean install with  6.0.13 but we need Evernote to provide the 6.0.13 installer for that.

There is actually a download link to Ver 6.0.13 in the release thread (see below).

Also, I have updated my clean reinstall thread to provide the same download link.

If you want to downgrade, I recommend you follow this process to be safe.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

Evernote for Mac 6.0.12 & 6.0.13 were just released.  Both of these versions have a number of great bug fixes.  

. . .

You can download the 6.0.13 build from here.

I am having the exact same issue.  Evernote is now unusable for me on my Imac.  Is there a plan to fix this or do we all have to reinstall an older version? 

• Level 5*

<snip>

Here are the release notes:

• Fixed copy and paste of tables

</snip>

Jack,

Just did a quick test of paste of a MS Word Table (with sub-tables in cells), and it seems to work fine.

I have the Word table setup to auto-fit text, and Evernote seems to be honoring that properly.

Also, the incorrect highlighting of sub-tables is now gone.

More testing to come, but so far so good!   :D

Thanks.

Font smoothing in the left bar where the Shortcuts and Recent Notes are seems borked in this version. When I have font smoothing turned on in OS X preferences, the fonts in that bar are NOT anti aliased. When I turn font smoothing off, they become anti aliased. This is opposite to the expected behaviour.

Agree.

There is font issue in the left bar in this 6.0.15.

If I use the external monitor (Dell U2412H )with my macbook pro. The font in left bar looks much obscure, although it looks well on the macbook display. All the previous versions are okay. Need fix.

• Level 5

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.

I can't seem to reproduce the issue.

Could you please give me the following information:

- Computer model

- Monitor

- Version of MacOS

- Resolution

Thanks.

I'm also having the "reverse font smoothing" effect.  And it really is reverse: with Font Smoothing on, the sidebar is grainy, with Font Smoothing off, it's fine.

I'm on:

Macbook Air 13-inch mid 2011

Built in screen and external Apple Thunderbolt (both have the issue)
OS X 10.10.3 but updated today to 10.10.4 and its the same

Resolutions for both are "default for display" (sorry - can't find numbers) 

Evernote: Version 6.0.15 (451806 Direct)

• Level 5*

I'm not seeing this issue in either Mavericks or Yosemite.  However, neither MBA has a retina screen.

See my detailed post here.

- Computer model

- Monitor

- Version of MacOS

- Resolution

Thanks.

- Computer model: 15 Inch Macbook Pro Mid-2012 WITHOUT Retina display

- Monitor: Built-in Display

- Version of MacOS: Yosemite 10.10.4

- Resolution: 1440 x 900

Thanks

- Computer model

- Monitor

- Version of MacOS

- Resolution

Thanks.

Macbook Air 13-inch mid 2011

Built in screen and external HP Compaq LA2306x monitor

OS X 10.10.3 but updated today to 10.10.4 and its the same

Built in resolution: 1440 x 900

External monitor: 1920 x 1080

An inconsistency: i'm missing nested table support in the Mac version over Evernote. In the Windows version of Evernote you can create a nested table, but not when using the Mac version. They only way is copy-pasting a nested table.

• Level 5*

Jack, the Evernote update I am seeing in the Mac App Store is 6.0.14.

Is .15 a developer release?

No.  Ver 6.0.15 is a general direct download release available at Evernote.com.

As I understand it, Ver .14 and .15 are essentially the same, except for install methods.

Archived