What documents does Premium search?

On line it says that the Evernote Premium version will search Office documents. I can't find any details of this feature on line.  What documents does it search?  Is it necessary to paste the document into Evernote to get it searched?  Or, can I specify a location and have it scan the directory?  How does it work?

Randy

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote will OCR some office documents including DOC/X and XLS/X - I'm not sure about other stuff like powerpoints and publisher formats.  All you need do to get your document indexed is ti attach it to a note.  There's no 'scanning' of separate documents or files.

Hi gazumped. Thanks very much for the reply.  I made a mistake when I posted the original message.  I said scan Office documents but what the Premium version of Evernote offers that interests me is "search of Office documents".  I'm trying to find out how that feature works.  Does the document have to be scanned into Evernote in order to search it or can Evernote search Office documents in folders?  It seems to imply that capability since it is searching Office documents not content within Evernote.

Sorry for the confusion,

Randy

• Level 5*

As I said - add an office document to a note in a premium account,  and chances are it will be searchable.  Word and Excel have their own native search features,  so I don't know whether Evernote performs some sort of additional reading/ indexing exercise,  or whether it simply hooks into the existing search feature.  Either way I can find spreadsheet content in my notebooks by looking for the headings,  so it seems to work OK.  Just attach a file to a note- no scanning required.  Evernote doesn't search documents stored on the hard drive though,  just those attached to notes.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote will OCR some office documents including DOC/X and XLS/X .

@Gaz:  Evernote does NOT OCR anything other than images and PDFs created from scanning a document.

@Curmudgeony:

If you are a Premium or Business account user, Evernote will also search MS Office documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and Apple Mac iWork documents (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) that are attached to your Notes.

See Your Premium Account Just Got Better and Comparison of EN Account Types

@Gaz:  Evernote does NOT OCR anything other than images and PDFs created from scanning a document.

How about images within DOCX files? Anyone tested this out yet?

• Level 5*

I don't think OCR works on images in PDF files either,  just JPG and PNG.  Evernote doesn't "OCR" office files as such (though it's a convenient shorthand) - I'm not sure whether they just plug into whatever process MS use to search the same file,  or 'scan' the code content for actual words,  but in either case MS don't index pictures so the content (probably) won't be available.  After you with the actual testing though...

Something I've noticed is that on Windows desktop I can't search for OCRed images within PDF files... but curiously, searching on the Web client turns up phrases in images within PDF files. It doesn't highlight them... they just show up in the search results. And I'm sure it's not referring to the note title or any other text  :P

@Curmudgeony:

If you are a Premium or Business account user, Evernote will also search MS Office documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and Apple Mac iWork documents (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) that are attached to your Notes.

See Your Premium Account Just Got Better and Comparison of EN Account Types

The Evernote web site includes in the features for the Premium version:

"Search in Office docs and attachments"

I interpreted that to mean that it would search Office documents that were not Evernote attachments as well as those that were attached.  I guess that is not what it means.  Perhaps it means search in Office docs and other attachments?

I think it goes without saying that Evernote will only search what is imported into your Evernote account. 

Attachments refer to documents/ images, etc. that are attached to an Evernote note.

• Level 5*

The Evernote web site includes in the features for the Premium version:

"Search in Office docs and attachments"

While I agree with @Frank.dg, that statement from the Evernote KB article does raise an interesting question:  

Does EN search in attachments other than PDFs and "Office docs", or is it just bad wording?

I am not aware that it will search other attachments.  Anyone know?

@JMichael, I think they're talking about .gif, .jpeg, .png image files, etc. Our OCRed images get searched too. Also, there's Penultimate's notes which show up in Evernote. They can't be edited in Evernote itself and I'm not sure what file type they would be. Oh... And there are post-it note images which are also attachments. I'm sure I'm missing a couple of others.

• Level 5*

Well, I just tried my first real use of Twitter, and, found it was not at all intuitive, and, IMO, not really a good support tool since you are limited to 170 char to describe your problem.

Having said that, I asked EvernoteHelps what attachments can be searched, and here are the Twitter results:

For details, see  Twitter Conversation

@evernotehelps OK, thanks.  So no other #attachments are searched other than MS Office docs, Apple iWork docs, PDFs, and images.

Well, I just tried my first real use of Twitter, and, found it was not at all intuitive, and, IMO, not really a good support tool since you are limited to 170 char to describe your problem.

Having said that, I asked EvernoteHelps what attachments can be searched, and here are the Twitter results:

For details, see  Twitter Conversation

@evernotehelps OK, thanks.  So no other #attachments are searched other than MS Office docs, Apple iWork docs, PDFs, and images.

For me, how spend over 6 year on Twitter, its looks like an ordinary conversation discussion something or asking for support. :)

(not all tweets is about what someone eating, wearing, thinking, wanting, dreaming etc)

It's rare that one single tweet is enough in support-issues. A couple of followups and "give me more info" and of cause "thanks, you're welcome". Like an old phone-call :P (in the mid 90's I work as a support-technician, and have some wag memory)

It's complement not a replacement to mail with long description of many details.

Archived