Emailing to Evernote now a paid feature

You're welcome.

Excellent response. SebR.. I take it that you are an aspiring Evernote Exec..... 

I have always been taught that customers opinions are something to be valued.... possibly not the case here...

I send 1-2 emails to Evernote pm - and there is no value paying for Premium features that are not used...  What value does Evernote get from me?... Some may ask...

I 'have' been a strong advocate and proponent of Evernote and regularly spruik its features.  Thanks saifahmed2 I too will investigate the use of OneNote...

Yes Bigfella, I use the feature not more than once per month and only on occasions when I am away from my gadgets and need to set a reminder to add some notes in to Evernote later. Pity it is being cancelled as this was an emergency feature that drew me in. Apart from this other features are more or less same as Onenote.

Discussing with "1 post user" who post only for saying they leave is often a waste of time. I suspect most of them (you?) are not real user - if i were Microsoft I'd paid a cheap outsourced company a bunch of $ to flood this forum with complaint and promote my product btw (yeah it's evil business, not fair... like business is ).

So go for ON, I wish it will fit your needs... or consider a Plus accompt (not a premium) for 20$/year for emailing and offline storage for mobile (and 1GB/monthly).

Discussing with "1 post user" who post only for saying they leave is often a waste of time. I suspect most of them (you?) are not real user - if i were Microsoft I'd paid a cheap outsourced company a bunch of $ to flood this forum with complaint and promote my product btw (yeah it's evil business, not fair... like business is ).

So go for ON, I wish it will fit your needs... or consider a Plus accompt (not a premium) for 20$/year for emailing and offline storage for mobile (and 1GB/monthly).

Hi SebR - unfortunately I do not get paid to sit on forum's and play (oops post 200+) comments... You are correct however - why should I bother - no one of any import from Evernote would be interested in user opinions ... or for that matter make any difference to the decision..  Also FYI the email sent to existing users (was going to sat customers) does not mention anything about Plus accounts - only Premium..." so maybe this one post user knows something more than someone posting 200+.....on this occasion..

See below extract... You are correct in one aspect - I won't be posting again...:-)  Enjoy the read...hope you learn something..

Manage email with Evernote Premium Starting July 6th, saving emails into Evernote will become a paid feature. 

You can continue to enjoy the benefits of saving email in Evernote by upgrading to Evernote Premium. You’ll also get increased monthly uploads and offline access to notes on mobile.

I'm a 6 years old (free) user who used emailing-to-EN a lot with automation so I don't enjoy at all this announce you know. I lost more than a new user like you who don't have yet build his information framework. I have to find workarounds, maybe reinstall some app.

I always found the Premium plan too expensive for my use. But on the other hand, the new Plus plan price (20$/y) would give me now the feature I occasionaly miss the more; the offline content on tablet... Maybe I'll subscribe, maybe not, don't know yet...but if I wanna quit, maybe I'll tell the reasons on this forum 'cause I'm a casual* user, but EN have more reliable tools to see the impact of their call you know.

If you don't know about the Plus...

https://evernote.com/intl/fr/pricing/

* some people have thousands message, I suspect they're even not paid for it, the fools ! ^^

They just have time and willing to help people. That's also what I do, when I can.

Bisous ;)

(/unfollow)

The announcement of this feature being removed worries me even though I don't use it very much. I don't like seeing Evernote going backwards in terms of features whilst OneNote gets better and better. At Least Evernote has a better 'web clipper'. That'll keep me around for a little while longer...

Bigfella you are wasting your time with SebR. I am a new user hence my first post. My post was to EN and not to him. Although he says it is a waste of time to discuss with me he still found the time to send in a cheesy answer. I am General Manager at a multinational Bank and he is calling me a paid Microsoft stooge foolishly and that I am not a real user. I have bought (worth millions of usd) more software already than this man with a twisted face will ever buy in his entire twisted lifetime. I think he should find somewhere else to troll.

Hello Evernote,

I took a basic membership recently for this useful feature of emailing myself on Evernote. As you are cancelling it I will move to Onenote. Thank you.

I find your comment somewhat ironic for me.  I recently migrated to Evenote from Onenote.  I think the inability to email makes the Basic level pretty much useless.  It's not entirely surprising that Evernote is getting rid of "freeloaders", like me.  Their business model seems to have changed.  I would not have switched to Evernote in the first place had I known this change was coming.  I now have to decide whether to pony up for an Evernote subscription or go back to Onenote.

Randy

Hello Evernote,

I took a basic membership recently for this useful feature of emailing myself on Evernote. As you are cancelling it I will move to Onenote. Thank you.

Free users who complain that they cannot (or can no longer) use a feature that has been moved to a paid account are whiners, IMO.  If you like an app and you use it often, one should be willing to pay for it so that the devs will continue to develop the app and still be able to pay their rent & buy groceries.  I'm guessing that may be what elicited SebR's sarcastic response.  If you are not willing to pay for a particular app, then most of us don't give a darn that it's causing you to move to another app that is free & works for you.  In fact, it's your right and obligation to use what best suits your needs both work flow & financial. 

You're welcome.

Excellent response. SebR.. I take it that you are an aspiring Evernote Exec..... 

I have always been taught that customers opinions are something to be valued.... possibly not the case here...

I send 1-2 emails to Evernote pm - and there is no value paying for Premium features that are not used...  What value does Evernote get from me?... Some may ask...

I 'have' been a strong advocate and proponent of Evernote and regularly spruik its features.  Thanks saifahmed2 I too will investigate the use of OneNote...

SebR is just another user, just like you & me & most of the rest of us here.  Evernote employees are identified by the words "Evernote employee" in the profile info that is displayed on each post. 

Hi SebR - unfortunately I do not get paid to sit on forum's and play (oops post 200+) comments...

That's one of those "defenses when you have no defense".  Any successful message board is powered by users, who volunteer their time & energy to helping others.  Notice the operative word is 'volunteer'.  Trying to minimize someone's contributions by intimating they have nothing better to do is very lame. 

Bigfella you are wasting your time with SebR. I am a new user hence my first post. My post was to EN and not to him. Although he says it is a waste of time to discuss with me he still found the time to send in a cheesy answer. I am General Manager at a multinational Bank and he is calling me a paid Microsoft stooge foolishly and that I am not a real user. I have bought (worth millions of usd) more software already than this man with a twisted face will ever buy in his entire twisted lifetime. I think he should find somewhere else to troll.

It's great that you are so impressed with yourself.  I would expect someone of your (supposed) caliber to exhibit more class & intelligence.  But again, whining b/c you can no longer use a feature for FREE is childish,  So is calling other, well respected users of the board, trolls.  I suggest you become better informed about the contributors before making knee jerk judgments, just because you didn't like the answer you got.

Good luck with Onenote.

Well BurgersNFries... respect works both ways. If your friend does not know my background then he should not try to guess that I may be paid by Microsoft and I must be a fake user. In any case why are you people writing to me. I was just sending a message to EN that free users may be leaving due to a change in policy. Can you and other (well respected) users let EN answer that if they feel like it. And yes I am impressed with myself. I have reason to. Hope you are feeling good too about yourself by insulting me that I have less class and intelligence. I am wasting my time here obviously with mannerless Americans.

Paying for email when I only send email  a couple of times a month max is not worth it!

I love everything else about the application - am a simple user; not a business user.

Why not charge by the number of emails being sent?!   Free for the first 15 a month or so .. . 

I don't need all the features of premium, no monthly payments for something I don't use.

I completely agree Dreamerlou. I have already paid for Onenote with my full Office Suite and don't use it regularly.I decided to try EN briefly as I was attracted by the emailing function which I have only used twice before in several months time. It may not be worth it to pay for a rarely used feature. Hope you are not going to invite insults now from some well respected Moderators here for agreeing with me.

I completely agree Dreamerlou. I have already paid for Onenote with my full Office Suite and don't use it regularly.I decided to try EN briefly as I was attracted by the emailing function which I have only used twice before in several months time. It may not be worth it to pay for a rarely used feature. Hope you are not going to invite insults now from some well respected Moderators here for agreeing with me.

Just offering another option ... hope they will consider.

The announcement of this feature being removed worries me even though I don't use it very much. I don't like seeing Evernote going backwards in terms of features whilst OneNote gets better and better. At Least Evernote has a better 'web clipper'. That'll keep me around for a little while longer...

I agree completely.  I don't have a problem paying for the service, but as a long-term user (6-ish years) it's disheartening to see "standard" features being moved into the "premium" area.  Brand new features that are immediately deemed "premium" - that makes sense and is totally different.  I like Dreamerlou's idea for allowing a certain number of emails free per month, rather than the current "5 and you're done forever" that Evernote is offering.  To be honest, if this trend of locking down continues it would inspire me to change platforms or modify my usage patterns, rather than pay more (or start paying) for the service.  It's hard to accept paying for something that you used to get for free.

I *really* like Evernote. Eventually when I needed to, I upgraded to Premium. Would I have tried Evernote without the email feature that was free? Yes I would have. If I was still using the free version, would I cease using it because the email feature is gone? No BUT I WOULD NOT BE HAPPY.

This decision was not wisely thought out by the Evernote-team-who-makes-these-decisions. I seem to remember that there was a set number a day or a month that could be sent when I was using it free. It was more than enough (for me personally) at that time.

We users are NEVER happy when something we had for FREE is taken away from us. We aren't happy when it's only PARTIALLY taken away & we complain about it -- but most of us understand the business decision.

And THAT'S the decision point that the Evernote-deciders missed. A better decision would have been 5 emails a day *OR* a limit of "X" number a month, say 100. That number --100-- sounds like a lot but works out to far less than 5 a day. BUT it allows an Evernote user to handle some kind of situation.

I've seen (I'm a LOL but don't like to think of myself as such) many a company eventually fail because they thought they had a huge number of LOYAL users and that the users would ALWAYS be with them. What they didn't realize was that loyality has to go both ways.

I have no problem with Evernote limiting free emails to so many a month or per day. BUT imho the decision to charge for ALL emails *SUDDENLY* is not a good one.

I'm still an Evernote user. I have no plans on canceling anything. BUT let's just say my Evernote comfort zone isn't as high as it was before I read of the decision.

I am very disappointed about this move as I was a happy casual user of EN. Even paid for 1 or 2 years according to the "old" scheme. The current pricing scheme did not meet my requirements.

But with this EN is taking it too far.

Hello Evernote,

Free users who complain that they cannot (or can no longer) use a feature that has been moved to a paid account are whiners, IMO.  If you like an app and you use it often, one should be willing to pay for it so that the devs will continue to develop the app and still be able to pay their rent & buy groceries.  I'm guessing that may be what elicited SebR's sarcastic response.  If you are not willing to pay for a particular app, then most of us don't give a darn that it's causing you to move to another app that is free & works for you.  In fact, it's your right and obligation to use what best suits your needs both work flow & financial. 

You're welcome.

SebR is just another user, just like you & me & most of the rest of us here.  Evernote employees are identified by the words "Evernote employee" in the profile info that is displayed on each post. 

Hi SebR - unfortunately I do not get paid to sit on forum's and play (oops post 200+) comments...

That's one of those "defenses when you have no defense".  Any successful message board is powered by users, who volunteer their time & energy to helping others.  Notice the operative word is 'volunteer'.  Trying to minimize someone's contributions by intimating they have nothing better to do is very lame. 

Oh my goodness, you're a moderator with 13,000 plus posts?  Making a note in OneNote now to not use these forums for assistance should I ever come back to Evernote.  What a rude post.  The guy expresses his opinion and is jumped by the Evernote faithful.  With 13,000 posts I don't think you're the typical Evernote user and it wouldn't be a stretch to speculate that you're a little biased.

The original post is valid.  Just because people use the "free" version doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to express their opinion.  I'm guessing Evernote has improved over the years from suggestions and options by these hated "free users."  I would assume that is one of the reasons they have a free version. My other assumption is the biggest reason they have a free version is so that people will try it and hopefully a percentage will become vested in the product and become paid users at some point.  I'm using it more and more everyday and could see the time coming where a paid version might be worth it for me.  I was a free user of Dropbox for awhile before converting to paid.  Sounds like a good business model to me.  I would also think it is known that a percentage of people will probably never convert to a paid option.  That doesn't mean they aren't beneficial to Evernote.  Many still offer suggestions for improvement and more importantly recommend it to others that do become paid users.  To dismiss them as "whiners" is absurd.

Taking away a function that I use sparingly but that I feel is necessary won't get me to become a paid user.  It will just get me to move to another product.  I'm already paying for Office 365 but have never checked out OneNote even though many of my colleagues use it.  That changed today.  I'd say before today there was about an 80% chance I'd become a paid user of Evernote.  Today it's about 20%.  But then again I'm just a "whiner" according to BurgersNFries so nothing to worry about.  I'm probably the only one.

Oh I forgot.  This is worst FAQ answer I've ever seen online.  It's now a paid feature because they think it will provide more revenue and reduce costs.  Oh no, wait.  It best fits with the needs of Plus and Premium customers...   Need a new communications director?

Why is saving email into Evernote now a paid feature?

Based on customer surveys and market research, we created two tiers of Evernote for our more active users. Being able to automatically turn emails into notes fit best with the needs of Plus and Premium customers.

True, it is not nice when something one has been using for free is taken away.  On the other hand, free is free and the provider of free can decide what to give up.  From what I can tell there isn't that much function you didn't get with free before the change, OCR and storage mostly.  So yeah, sounds like feedback to Evernote and some whining for sure.  And some chest thumping, go figure.  $20 is what, giving up a latte per month for four months?  Perspective.  ;)

• Level 5*

To no one in particular, but to all users of the Free Evernote:

IMO, anything you're given for free should be accepted with gratitude.

No one is entitled to a free Evernote.  It is a bonus.  You did nothing to earn it.  If the giver decides to quit giving or change what they are giving, then so be it.  It's still free, and more than you would have had if it had not been offered for free.

Consider yourself lucky that you've had access to such a great tool for free for a long time now.

AFAIK, all for-profit businesses are in business to, well, make a profit.  It's hard to make a profit if you give away everything for free.

I was taught that anything worth having was worth working for, worth paying for, sometimes worth making sacrifices for.  If you can afford a computer, PC or Mac, that costs at least hundreds of dollars, then you can afford $2.50/mo or $20/yr for a great piece of software to run on your computer.  Life  is full of choices.  If it really comes down do it, is Evernote worth giving up a beer, a latte, a couple of sodas/coffees, etc each month?  Only you can decide.

But Evernote owes you nothing for free.

To no one in particular, but to all users of the Free Evernote:

IMO, anything you're given for free should be accepted with gratitude.

No one is entitled to a free Evernote.  It is a bonus.  You did nothing to earn it.  If the giver decides to quit giving or change what they are giving, then so be it.  It's still free, and more than you would have had if it had not been offered for free.

Consider yourself lucky that you've had access to such a great tool for free for a long time now.

AFAIK, all for-profit businesses are in business to, well, make a profit.  It's hard to make a profit if you give away everything for free.

I was taught that anything worth having was worth working for, worth paying for, sometimes worth making sacrifices for.  If you can afford a computer, PC or Mac, that costs at least hundreds of dollars, then you can afford $2.50/mo or $20/yr for a great piece of software to run on your computer.  Life  is full of choices.  If it really comes down do it, is Evernote worth giving up a beer, a latte, a couple of sodas/coffees, etc each month?  Only you can decide.

But Evernote owes you nothing for free.

Who said Evernote owes people something for free?  What's wrong with you people?  They in fact are not giving the "free" version away for free.  They're doing it as a business decision and in return have hopes that you will eventually convert to the paid version and/or recommend it to other people.  They're not stupid and just making a product and giving it away to everyone with no expectations of anything in return.  Why are so many people butt hurt when some "free" users say this latest decision to cut the features will make them look for alternatives?  No one's hating on Evernote, simply saying "hey, I'm not willing to pay for this at this time.  It's not worth paying money to use the e-mail function 3 times a month.  Other "free" options work just fine."  I suppose you think everyone who feels like that should be afraid to voice their opinion on your private message board?   Why even bother to have a "free" version?  Oh yeah, they want something in return.  I almost forgot.

You say "only you can decide" but just before that you say if you can afford a computer...then you can afford $2.50/mo or $20/yr for a great piece of software to run on your computer.  Who the hell are you to decide what people can afford?  How many pieces of software do they need to buy on a subscription model?  I guess you'll decide that too.

I downloaded OneNote for the first time today.  I wonder how many other people will do the same?  Potential Evernote Premium customers?  More importantly, how many of these people will still recommend Evernote to people who haven't tried it?  Sounds like a bad PR move to me but I don't know the business numbers.  Maybe it was just to expensive for Evernote.   In that case, I'm sure they're ready to live with the consequences of their business decision.  Maybe it will pay off for them.  Have a good night "Explorer" JMichael.  Keep on being a "super user" on these forums and maybe some free stuff will come your way!  

Get off your high horses people.  If you're fine paying for Evernote, then this change doesn't even apply to you.  Why are you even trolling these comments?  Next thing we know you'll be telling people they can't fly the Confederate Battle Flag...

• Level 5*
@TDHIII:

Wow!  You so completely misunderstood me that I can't even begin to clarify my post.  

For the record, in no way was I suggesting that people should not be allowed to post their opinions about Evernote.

IAC, it's not necessary nor acceptable to make personal attacks in these forums.

To bring things back on topic, Evernote has decided for whatever reasons to move the email to account feature to their paid plans.  Each person will have to decide whether or not this feature is worth paying for.

@TDHIII:

Wow!  You so completely misunderstood me that I can't even begin to clarify my post.  

For the record, in no way was I suggesting that people should not be allowed to post their opinions about Evernote.

IAC, it's not necessary nor acceptable to make personal attacks in these forums.

To bring things back on topic, Evernote has decided for whatever reasons to move the email to account feature to their paid plans.  Each person will have to decide whether or not this feature is worth paying for.

---------------

Yes JMichael EN is free to withdraw anything offered for free. We all understand that. In fact after a few months of free use I have already suggested to our bank's IT department to get EN for our users who are mobile and out of office often. Mine was just a comment as a personal user. I often test software myself before deploying. I did not expect rude moderators to start attacking me. People frustrated with their own sorry lives take it out on others online.

Free user but dependent on the email feature for my workflow. So, how do I get a Plus account for $2.50/mo or $20/yr? When I go to sign up it says $2.99/mo or $24.99/yr!!! Is pricing dependent on where I live or some other factor?

Yes JMichael EN is free to withdraw anything offered for free. We all understand that. In fact after a few months of free use I have already suggested to our bank's IT department to get EN for our users who are mobile and out of office often. Mine was just a comment as a personal user. I often test software myself before deploying. I did not expect rude moderators to start attacking me. People frustrated with their own sorry lives take it out on others online.

No irony in this post.

No irony in this post.

;-)

No irony in this post.

The irony is that forum moderators first made personal attacks on users unhappy with the change and then call out others for making personal attacks.  Enjoy your latte this morning.

No irony in this post.

The irony is that forum moderators first made personal attacks on users unhappy with the change and then call out others for making personal attacks.  Enjoy your latte this morning.

Enjoying one right now buddy. Have a nice day.

Hello Evernote,

@saifahmed,

Have you not moved to Onenote yet? Other peoples' opinions should have no bearing on the situation now, especially if you're convinced you're making the right decision. It always amazes me how people threaten to drop Evernote but continue to show up here for some good old fashioned chit chat.

I don't really see the point of posting the above. Ultimatums from small people like us rarely twist the arms of big corporations. I forget, you're a little less small than myself. And I'm thinking right now... if someone is responsible for the purchasing of millions of US$'s worth of software, I don't quite get why you can't manage to get an Evernote premium membership at your institution's expense. Also, Premium is pretty cool for more than one reason.

I don't know where any general manager would find the time to migrate data to another platform. Just cough up the odd $5/ month maximum and save yourself the headache. That's what I would do if I had the responsibilities you do. Just saying.

• Level 5*

I have bought (worth millions of usd) more software already than this man with a twisted face will ever buy in his entire twisted lifetime.

Ahem ahem... 

Methinks you probably haven't spent as much as this man with a twisted face ;)

• Level 5*

Why are so many people butt hurt when some "free" users say this latest decision to cut the features will make them look for alternatives?

Probably because it's horribly annoying. These forums are filled with users of Evernote. Sure, EN staff are in here too, but the vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast majority are just people who use Evernote and hop on for info or discussion. We certainly don't log in to read things like the OP of this thread. It's just a complaint. Why do other users need to deal with that? It's pretty impolite.

And it happens a lot. Evernote is incredibly popular, so posts along these same lines pop up a lot. We're just users. Take your complaints to EN staff, please. If you want to be constructive with the complaint, then sure, bring the discussion here. A post along the lines of "I'm pretty disappointed the email to Evernote feature will require a paid plan. Is there a reason why this decision was made? Do I have any alternatives? I don't use it enough to pay for it, but I do like having the option. Thanks." would have elicited a completely different response. Coming in to just drop a statement about why you're leaving EN for a competitor isn't what forums are for, which is discussion.

Why are so many people butt hurt when some "free" users say this latest decision to cut the features will make them look for alternatives?

Probably because it's horribly annoying. These forums are filled with users of Evernote. Sure, EN staff are in here too, but the vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast majority are just people who use Evernote and hop on for info or discussion. We certainly don't log in to read things like the OP of this thread. It's just a complaint. Why do other users need to deal with that? It's pretty impolite.

And it happens a lot. Evernote is incredibly popular, so posts along these same lines pop up a lot. We're just users. Take your complaints to EN staff, please. If you want to be constructive with the complaint, then sure, bring the discussion here. A post along the lines of "I'm pretty disappointed the email to Evernote feature will require a paid plan. Is there a reason why this decision was made? Do I have any alternatives? I don't use it enough to pay for it, but I do like having the option. Thanks." would have elicited a completely different response. Coming in to just drop a statement about why you're leaving EN for a competitor isn't what forums are for, which is discussion.

If it so horribly annoying for you then why are you reading it?  I think it's completely fair for a user of the product to post in the user forums his decision to move on because he doesn't like a change in the product.  It's in the Evernote General Discussions.  No one is forcing you to discuss it.  You just don't like how he phrased it.  You might be a bit too sensitive to participate in any internet discussion.

The original poster came. The original poster is discussing. We're all discussing. I quite like this discussion. Expressing disagreement is part of the discussion. All is fair in love and war.

• Level 5*

It's in the Evernote General Discussions.

Evernote General Discussions.

General Discussions.

Discussions.

Not to be passive aggressive (okay, maybe to be a little passive aggressive), but you can't exactly say it's okay to post something in a Discussions forum and then say "but you don't have to discuss it." If it's not a discussion, it's probably wise to reconsider posting it (or at least rephrasing it).

And if you don't like other people commenting about how they don't like the OP's post, then, and I quote, "If it so horribly annoying for you then why are you reading it?"

Though if you're going to continue insulting and belittling people (in 5 posts, you've managed a staggering amount), you're probably going to find your posts deleted or ridiculed even further. Calling people "too sensitive" or "butt hurt" isn't exactly the best way to sway others to your side, or even keep your posts visible in the discussion.

As far as I'm concerned, if I'm using something that someone else provided to me, I like to pay for it. I don't take the hard work of others for free. I value the time, knowledge and effort put into keeping a great product like Evernote running, and I happily pay $5/mo for the service. It means I have to discontinue or give up other things in my life, but I weigh each decision and I pay for what I use most.

Tip of the day: if you want to mail in to OneNote, you would mail to: me@onenote.com

Also, Gmail is free... And did you know you could use Evernote's web clipper utility to effortlessly clip your Gmail email to Evernote on desktop?

• Level 5*

Tip of the day: if you want to mail in to OneNote, you would mail to: me@onenote.com

Also, Gmail is free... And did you know you could use Evernote's web clipper utility to effortlessly clip your Gmail email to Evernote on desktop?

Downside of the OneNote email is that, of course, it only works from your Outlook.com email address. *headdesks*

And honestly, while I do have some things automatically mailed into Evernote, I definitely make a lot more use of the Gmail web clipper functionality. It works INCREDIBLY well and links back to the original email. That way, you can clip something to EN to which you need to reply, keep chugging through clearing out your inbox, and then reply when convenient. Super handy!

Downside of the OneNote email is that, of course, it only works from your Outlook.com email address. *headdesks*

Hmm, I just send to me@onenote.com from my own personal address, which is not a microsoft e-mail address, but an address on my own domain, and it worked fine.

Now that I am writing here, let me mention that I have been using Evernote for years, and I should become a paying user, and if I stick to Evernote I will have to, as the e-mail feature is something is use 3-5 times per week. The thing is that I keep seeing issues not being fixed, which is not something I want to pay for. And also the app for my Windows Phone is not in a state where I think that paying a yearly (and automatically deducted) fee is okay.

And also the app for my Windows Phone is not in a state where I think that paying a yearly (and automatically deducted) fee is okay.

3-5 times per week... you might want to consider the copy-paste method. Windows Phone is another story altogether. In general, the mobile apps are all lacking in some way. One thing is a feature that you're used to no longer being accessible... another thing is a feature that never was on a platform that will never get equal treatment. Unfortunately. 

There are ways around the email thing... but one should really be looking at Plus or Premium for the bundle of great features they afford one, not present in the Basic. There are tons of great apps out there that give you no more than a 14-day trial period. Then you fork out. In my opinion, I believe Evernote is actually offering way too many features and is being way too generous with the Free/ Basic setup. People get so used to certain things and take them for granted... if it's that important, why not support a product and pay for something you're benefiting from? It's a simple case of black and white. If someone can afford a smart phone with some sort of plan, I'm sure they can tack on $3-5 worth of monthly expenses for a Premium Evernote plan. I certainly wouldn't be as generous as Evernote is. There's absolutely no reason why they should be.

Hello Evernote,

@saifahmed,

Have you not moved to Onenote yet? Other peoples' opinions should have no bearing on the situation now, especially if you're convinced you're making the right decision. It always amazes me how people threaten to drop Evernote but continue to show up here for some good old fashioned chit chat.

I don't really see the point of posting the above. Ultimatums from small people like us rarely twist the arms of big corporations. I forget, you're a little less small than myself. And I'm thinking right now... if someone is responsible for the purchasing of millions of US$'s worth of software, I don't quite get why you can't manage to get an Evernote premium membership at your institution's expense. Also, Premium is pretty cool for more than one reason.

I don't know where any general manager would find the time to migrate data to another platform. Just cough up the odd $5/ month maximum and save yourself the headache. That's what I would do if I had the responsibilities you do. Just saying.

Hey Frank.dg please remind me how it is any of your bloody business whether I come here or not. It is my post and if you don't want to read it then F-off troll. If you don't want to talk about the topic in hand don't try getting personal. Where do losers like you spring up from. Get a life man.

Not to be passive aggressive (okay, maybe to be a little passive aggressive), but you can't exactly say it's okay to post something in a Discussions forum and then say "but you don't have to discuss it." If it's not a discussion, it's probably wise to reconsider posting it (or at least rephrasing it).  Interesting because I didn't say what you say I can't exactly say...  The subject is worthy of discussion.  But you are in no way obligated to discuss it.  Do you participate in every discussion on this forum?  You chose to jump in and be snarky and about it being "horribly annoying".  My point was if you found it so annoying, don't read and participate in this one discussion.  There are hundreds of others.

And if you don't like other people commenting about how they don't like the OP's post, then, and I quote, "If it so horribly annoying for you then why are you reading it?"  I'm reading it because I'm interested in the subject matter.  I don't find it horribly annoying, those were your words.  A little hostile yes, especially from a moderator and several 1,000+ post members, but not "horribly annoying".  

Though if you're going to continue insulting and belittling people (in 5 posts, you've managed a staggering amount), you're probably going to find your posts deleted or ridiculed even further. Calling people "too sensitive" or "butt hurt" isn't exactly the best way to sway others to your side, or even keep your posts visible in the discussion.  So only the moderators can do that right?  Jump on a poster and accuse them of whining is ok but suggesting someone is sensitive or getting butt hurt is not?  Would bum hurt be better, that's what they call it in the UK right?  I think I was right from my first assumption about you being too senstitive to be participating on an internet forum Ms. Henderson.

As far as I'm concerned, if I'm using something that someone else provided to me, I like to pay for it. I don't take the hard work of others for free. I value the time, knowledge and effort put into keeping a great product like Evernote running, and I happily pay $5/mo for the service. It means I have to discontinue or give up other things in my life, but I weigh each decision and I pay for what I use most.  I think that's perfectly acceptable and the first thing you've contributed to the discussion.  Also maybe take a moment to realize that maybe not everyone that uses the product has the same feelings you do.  Evernote provides the free product for a reason.  You're making it seem like people don't value work if they use the free version.  Did you immediately pay for a premium version?  Hopefully you didn't use the free version as they intended without paying for it.  That would be terrible.  They could certainly offer a 10 day trial or no free version at all if they wanted to.  I think the free version is a smart business decision though because as I've previously stated at some point many will probably upgrade and if it's a good experience recommend the product to others.  I know I have.  But I pay for quite a bit of software and at the current time don't use Evernote enough to add it to my list of monthly expenses.  Especially since there are other free alternatives out there that are acceptable.  Again, I think this is the appropriate place to share that sentiment and have a discussion about it.

And honestly, while I do have some things automatically mailed into Evernote, I definitely make a lot more use of the Gmail web clipper functionality. It works INCREDIBLY well and links back to the original email. That way, you can clip something to EN to which you need to reply, keep chugging through clearing out your inbox, and then reply when convenient. Super handy!

You can e-mail to OneNote from any e-mail address, you just have to set it up in e-mail settings.

You can e-mail to OneNote from any e-mail address, you just have to set it up in e-mail settings.

By the way, you won't believe what other clear advantages OneNote has over Evernote. Just found this article... apparently the secret weapon that OneNote has been holding out on until just this very week: 

http://bit.ly/18gECvy

Hey Frank.dg please remind me how it is any of your bloody business whether I come here or not. 

@saifahmed2 , sorry to ruffle your feathers a bit. My apologies. As a peace offering I've posted a link above to a fantastic display of what is really possible in OneNote. You may be making a very smart decision after all if you in fact do go through with that move. The above link will walk you through the steps. 

Amazing! I would never have guessed that this would be such a hot button topic. it seems to bring out the worst in some people.

Yes. My thoughts exactly. Frank is still on my case. Now he has posted a rock and roll link pretending it has some thing to do with One Note. Better we discuss the EN change than wasting time getting personal.

@csihilling So just because I am a banker (or Wanker as you called me) I should keep quiet while you fine upstanding gentlemen keep insulting. Go do something productive with your time loser. Perhaps one day then your parents will be proud of the mistake they made.

@chirmer You are free to hold any opinion of me. It is a free world. Since you don't know, just the small transaction banking software alone in a major bank costs millions of usd. This is not even the main banking platform cost which is even more expensive and many other supporting softwares that costs many millions more.

• Level 5*

Amazing! I would never have guessed that this would be such a hot button topic. it seems to bring out the worst in some people.

@csihilling So just because I am a banker (or Wanker as you called me) I should keep quiet while you fine upstanding gentlemen keep insulting. Go do something productive with your time loser. Perhaps one day then your parents will be proud of the mistake they made.

Geez. You bring my parents into this. Has all decorum left the Internet? Not nice.

Hey Frank.dg please remind me how it is any of your bloody business whether I come here or not. It is my post and if you don't want to read it then F-off troll. If you don't want to talk about the topic in hand don't try getting personal. Where do losers like you spring up from. Get a life man.

An Evernote employee actually posted early on in this thread and posed a question to YOU. Subsequent to his post, you have returned to post six (so far) posts for the sole reason of insulting other users. And yet you have never once addressed the Evernote employee's question to you. It's pretty clear who the troll is and who is the one who needs to get a life, "man".

An Evernote employee actually posted early on in this thread and posed a question to YOU. Subsequent to his post, you have returned to post six (so far) posts for the sole reason of insulting other users. And yet you have never once addressed the Evernote employee's question to you. It's pretty clear who the troll is and who is the one who needs to get a life, "man".

I can say the same thing about you. Every post of your has an insult at me or someone else. And yes, in all this nonsense flying around I totally overlooked the employees question.

Coming back... show me one post of mine which is an insult to someone who has not insulted me first. If not, Get Lost and go learn some manners first before trying to teach me.

saifahmed2 & others that care to answer:

I'm curious, what Evernote features would you be willing to pay for?

//Brian

Hi Brian, Sorry with all this verbosity flying around aimed at me I totally overlooked this question in previous pages. Actually I have just been testing EN as a personal user last few months and will remain as such. We can't do formal banking documentation or report writing on an open platform. Also paying for many single purpose softwares are also a problem of renewing something every month personally. Are there any plans of getting EN as part of any suite in future or adding other products to your current offering.

Geez. You bring my parents into this. Has all decorum left the Internet? Not nice.

Sorry if I went too far, but you guys started it. You and several others calling me names for no reason. I have called several times above to stop this and only talk of EN and not get personal.

I *really* like Evernote. Eventually when I needed to, I upgraded to Premium. Would I have tried Evernote without the email feature that was free? Yes I would have. If I was still using the free version, would I cease using it because the email feature is gone? No BUT I WOULD NOT BE HAPPY.

This decision was not wisely thought out by the Evernote-team-who-makes-these-decisions. I seem to remember that there was a set number a day or a month that could be sent when I was using it free. It was more than enough (for me personally) at that time.

We users are NEVER happy when something we had for FREE is taken away from us. We aren't happy when it's only PARTIALLY taken away & we complain about it -- but most of us understand the business decision.

And THAT'S the decision point that the Evernote-deciders missed. A better decision would have been 5 emails a day *OR* a limit of "X" number a month, say 100. That number --100-- sounds like a lot but works out to far less than 5 a day. BUT it allows an Evernote user to handle some kind of situation.

I've seen (I'm a LOL but don't like to think of myself as such) many a company eventually fail because they thought they had a huge number of LOYAL users and that the users would ALWAYS be with them. What they didn't realize was that loyality has to go both ways.

I have no problem with Evernote limiting free emails to so many a month or per day. BUT imho the decision to charge for ALL emails *SUDDENLY* is not a good one.

I'm still an Evernote user. I have no plans on canceling anything. BUT let's just say my Evernote comfort zone isn't as high as it was before I read of the decision.

I totally agree with Lyndas posting here: imho the decision to charge for ALL emails so *SUDDENLY* is not a good one.

However EN (for me) is worth every penny and I really enjoyed the time using it for free. I also gave ON a try, but it didn't fit my needs (I had some problems with lost e-mails sent to it).

For me a clear decision to upgrade - I have wasted a lot more money on useless apps in the past ;)

• Level 5*

... This decision was not wisely thought out by the Evernote-team-who-makes-these-decisions. I seem to remember that there was a set number a day or a month that could be sent when I was using it free. It was more than enough (for me personally) at that time.

Actually, I think this decision was very carefully thought through by EN.  Look at it from their point-of-view.  They added a middle pay tier.  Their (likely) goal is to nudge some of the millions of free users into paying something for the service.  Having just the premium tier wasn't working well enough.  I'm sure they have plenty of metrics telling them which features free users use and with what frequency.  Offering 5 or so free emails a day would certainly help the free user community but likely does not help with EN's goal of increasing the number of paying customers.  I get that it is disappointing to lose a feature that you have come to rely on, but I would rather be put in a position where I decide whether to pay for an app or not to get the features I need, than to be put in a position where the app is discontinued because the business model tanked.

... This decision was not wisely thought out by the Evernote-team-who-makes-these-decisions. I seem to remember that there was a set number a day or a month that could be sent when I was using it free. It was more than enough (for me personally) at that time.

Actually, I think this decision was very carefully thought through by EN.  Look at it from their point-of-view.  They added a middle pay tier.  Their (likely) goal is to nudge some of the millions of free users into paying something for the service.  Having just the premium tier wasn't working well enough.  I'm sure they have plenty of metrics telling them which features free users use and with what frequency.  Offering 5 or so free emails a day would certainly help the free user community but likely does not help with EN's goal of increasing the number of paying customers.  I get that it is disappointing to lose a feature that you have come to rely on, but I would rather be put in a position where I decide whether to pay for an app or not to get the features I need, than to be put in a position where the app is discontinued because the business model tanked.

Good post, sound logic.  The best post in this discussion in my opinion.  I always thought from the beginning there was a limit on the free version for the frequency of e-mails but maybe I just confused that with usage.  I didn't realize the the middle tier was recently added.  With regards to offering 5 or so emails a day not helping EN's goal of increasing the number of paying customers I may disagree a little.  Someone who uses that feature so little probably still wouldn't upgrade but the heavy users would and that would still increase the paying customers by a similar amount I would think.  It's still going to alienate the users who rarely use that feature but like it enough to move to alternatives.  So hopefully that's a calculated risk EN considered.  I would assume the goal is still to get free users to move to a paid plan and if you alienate them before they're ready to move that could be detrimental.  I had just recently read an article this week that EN was losing customers and I can't imagine this move will help with that.  That's unfortunate.

"Their (likely) goal is to nudge some of the millions of free users into paying something for the service.  Having just the premium tier wasn't working well enough."

Apparently not.  I listened to CEO Libin several times saying the freemium model worked for Evernote. Of course if you believe everything that Libin says...

Sorry if I went too far, but you guys started it. You and several others calling me names for no reason.

My mother used to tell me, "If your sister jumps in the fire, will you jump in the fire?"

Why stoop to someone else's level and then one-up on them? A little sarcasm doesn't warrant the display of words we see here.

Just a thought... maybe we could be friends if you changed your username  ;)... you know, turn over a new leaf and start again...

BTW... blow for blow... could you make a list of these "names" that you've been called? That would be an interesting exercise. Then, if you dare, make a separate list of the names you've used in this forum. If you'd like, I could help you out with that - no problem...

Well I am sure you can read English and can make that list for both sides. Got to get back to work now. Why waste both our time with this any longer. Am sure you also have work to get back to. Good day.

The freemium model only works if sufficient users are at some point converted to Plus or Premium. Phil Libin said the model was, "If they stay they will pay."

This is exactly what I've been thinking and trying to purvey.  The longer a user stays and grows his database of notes the more likely they will pay at some point.  Which is why I don't get this move, it will result in some users leaving.

Does anyone know how the corporate version of EN works. Can we connect to one document as a team. Does a shared document have to sit in the account of one of the team members or in a common cloud. In case 2 people edit it at once what happens to the document. Perhaps Brian who works there might know.

• Level 5*
Actually, I think this decision was very carefully thought through by EN.  Look at it from their point-of-view.  They added a middle pay tier.  Their (likely) goal is to nudge some of the millions of free users into paying something for the service.  Having just the premium tier wasn't working well enough.  I'm sure they have plenty of metrics telling them which features free users use and with what frequency. 

Offering 5 or so free emails a day would certainly help the free user community but likely does not help with EN's goal of increasing the number of paying customers.  I get that it is disappointing to lose a feature that you have come to rely on, but I would rather be put in a position where I decide whether to pay for an app or not to get the features I need, than to be put in a position where the app is discontinued because the business model tanked.

Well said, @s2sailor!   I was about to post a very similar comment when I read yours.

I have highlighted the major points, IMO.

Everyone complaining about the free version should give serious thought to the last point:  If Evernote's business model fails and they go out of business, then we all suffer greatly, especially if you have put a lot of your lifetime records into Evernote.

I know this will get a knee-jerk reason from some, but bottom line is:  If you really need email-to-account feature, quit whining and put up the measly $3 a month to get the feature and other great features (see below).  Otherwise, you're certainly free to try to find other free apps that work as well as Evernote.

Meet Evernote Plus: $2.99/mo

Evernote Plus is new. It’s designed around the engaged, active Evernote user. You’ve figured out the basics and are looking for more space and more flexibility. This tier unlocks 1GB monthly uploads, offline access to notes on mobile, passcode lock, and the ability to automatically turn emails into notes in Evernote. All this for $2.99 per month or $24.99 per year.
  • Level 5*

Does anyone know how the corporate version of EN works. Can we connect to one document as a team. Does a shared document have to sit in the account of one of the team members or in a common cloud. In case 2 people edit it at once what happens to the document. Perhaps Brian who works there might know.

Evernote business allows users to share and have access to corporate notebooks. You definitely don't want to have multiple users editing the same note or attached document at the same time. Evernote is not designed for this.

The freemium model only works if sufficient users are at some point converted to Plus or Premium. Phil Libin said the model was, "If they stay they will pay."

This is exactly what I've been thinking and trying to purvey.  The longer a user stays and grows his database of notes the more likely they will pay at some point.  Which is why I don't get this move, it will result in some users leaving.

There is the likelihood of people paying at some point the longer they stay. But it's just my opinion that as long as Evernote is being overly generous and offering all of the core features for free... and then some... there's no reason to upgrade. Those users that leave over a peripheral feature no longer being free would most likely never pay at any point in the future either which way. And leaving because of a mail-to-Evernote feature being rescinded for basic users... I think people voice it, but would never actually do so. That would be odd. It's not a core feature. It's like a little kid holding his breath 'till he's blue in the face so that his parents will finally give in and cede a scoop of non-essential chocolate ice-cream. Except that Evernote is not here to baby us.

They say there's no such thing as a free lunch. I beg to differ. Evernote has been offering way too much for free for way too long. I don't get the complaining. Do people forget that they can get their documents and images OCRed for free... they can search anything in their account (besides Word Docs) for free... create as many notes and notebooks as a Premium user for free... create up to 100,000 tags (same as a Premium user) for free?

If one wants more upload limit they can pay for "unlimited uploads" for just one month and come back down to basic once they've uploaded to their hearts' desire. There are many workarounds in lieu of the mail to Evernote feature, and an elegant one at that with the web clipper.

Who says people can't get the content of emails into Evernote with a basic plan? There are many ways to transfer data besides mailing. Evernote doesn't make it impossible... they just make it more convenient for those who see it in their hearts to give back a little... or simply pay for something they are benefitting from. A fair exchange.  

Archived