(Archived) EverNote3 on Pocket PC

I installed EverNote3 Mobile on my Dell Axim X51v PocketPC and was instantly frustrated that I cannot carry my ENbase around with me where there is no connection to the outside world. I couldn't even read notes I'd created on the device once I saved them!

Extremely frustrating.

I installed EverNote3 Mobile on my Dell Axim X51v PocketPC and was instantly frustrated that I cannot carry my ENbase around with me where there is no connection to the outside world. I couldn't even read notes I'd created on the device once I saved them!

Extremely frustrating.

I'm probably a day or two away from venturing into Windows Mobile land with EN 3.0 Beta (at least until after I get my web service synchronization woes worked out on my PC). Are you saying that I have to have a live connection to the Internet to see notes on the WM client software? I thought the whole idea was to be able to have the web server keep my local copy on my SmartPhone's microSD card synchronized and up-to-date whenever I connected, but let me see, edit, add, and delete notes on my SmartPhone when I was not connected to the web. Am I utterly confused (again)?

Or are you saying that you can't access the EverNote web service via the browswer on your WM PPC unless you have an active Internet connection? (Which would make sense, at least to me.)

Right now, you can search and read any of your notes through the mobile web UI (go to http://preview.evernote.com/m from your device). You can also get there from the installed application via the "Search" option on the home page.

We will also be introducing IMAP and POP support soon so that you can synchronize your notes onto your mobile device via the mail client. This should give you an "offline" copy that you can use to read your notes, even while disconnected.

Our goal is to support virtually every mobile data device on the planet via a combination of:

* email/SMS/MMS notes into your account

* view account via mobile web UI

* sync data to device via POP or IMAP

* installed applications to create new notes (audio, image, ink, text)

This doesn't rule out any other applications for mobile devices, but should be a pretty good starting point for most people.

Right now, you can search and read any of your notes through the mobile web UI (go to http://preview.evernote.com/m from your device). You can also get there from the installed application via the "Search" option on the home page.

We will also be introducing IMAP and POP support soon so that you can synchronize your notes onto your mobile device via the mail client. This should give you an "offline" copy that you can use to read your notes, even while disconnected.

Our goal is to support virtually every mobile data device on the planet via a combination of:

* email/SMS/MMS notes into your account

* view account via mobile web UI

* sync data to device via POP or IMAP

* installed applications to create new notes (audio, image, ink, text)

This doesn't rule out any other applications for mobile devices, but should be a pretty good starting point for most people.

In other words, no, I should not expect to be able to have all my notes in a local copy on my PPC on my micro SD storage card? Correct?

POP and IMAP only sync to my precious main RAM. I have an 8GB micro SD card in my PPC waiting, ready, and eager to hold my 1+GB of EverNote notes.

Most of the day I do not have web access from my PPC (it has WiFi). I am not at all eager to spend an additional US $100+ per month to buy an unlimited data plan so I can access my EverNote notes via EV/DO.

I have 1,000+ categories and 10,000+ notes with about a 700MB footprint in my EN 2.2 database files (I have many EN 2.2 databases). I want my Windows Mobile EverNote client to coordinate synchronization via WiFi with my local copy of ALL of my EverNote notes on my PPC's memory card (not main RAM), someday, please.

My 8GB micro SD card cost me under US $100. It is paid for and involves no repeating costs. Spending US $1,200 per year for the next five or more years for an unlimited data plan to be able access my EverNote notes via EV/DO is not a very cost-effective proposition (translation: it will never happen :evil: ).

Yes, I understand that the new EverNote 3.0 Beta is for lighter users than me. But please remember, EverNote is highly addictive (in a very good way). Let us please not set our sights too low. I want WiFi sync (just like my laptop has) to a full local copy of all my EverNote notes on my storage card, please.

Right, Evernote 3 is starting our beta with:

[*:86472]Windows desktop client & native "clipper"
    [*:86472]Macintosh desktop client & native "clipper"
    [*:86472]Desktop web UI (with browser clipper)
    [*:86472]Mobile web UI
    [*:86472]Windows Mobile/PPC uploader for pictures, audio, text, and ink
    [*:86472]SMTP/MMS gateway for emailing notes
    [*:86472]IMAP/POP gateway for synchronizing notes to mobile

We've got plenty of other things in the pipeline, but hope that this is enough to tide most people over for the short term. You've described something that's very interesting to us, but we know from experience that it's not a trivial project to build a PPC app that can manage and search 1GB of text, images, notes, audio clips, etc. We'll definitely keep you posted ...

(I realize this probably isn't what you really want, but I think there are PPC mail clients that can can store to SD/CF: http://pocketpccentral.net/software/mail.htm)

In other words, no, I should not expect to be able to have all my notes in a local copy on my PPC on my micro SD storage card? Correct?

That is currently correct, Marc. You cannot see EverNote data on your PDA without an active connection, which is added to the 'deal-breaker' category for me.

That is currently correct, Marc. You cannot see EverNote data on your PDA without an active connection, which is added to the 'deal-breaker' category for me.

I think we may need to re-conceptualize the mobile device as the ubiquitous capture device rather than the ubiquitous access device. I think the two salient points are:

• [*:d252a]Windows Mobile/PPC uploader for pictures, audio, text, and ink
    [*:d252a]SMTP/MMS gateway for emailing notes

I think we may need to re-conceptualize the mobile device as the ubiquitous capture device rather than the ubiquitous access device. I think the two salient points are:

• [*:3e3ea]Windows Mobile/PPC uploader for pictures, audio, text, and ink
    [*:3e3ea]SMTP/MMS gateway for emailing notes

I am primarily interested in the mobile device as a ACCESS device at this point.

I am primarily interested in the mobile device as a ACCESS device at this point.

When you have network connectivity, you can access your notes thru Evernote 3 Mobile Web interface. And, as Dave already mentioned, we are adding IMAP/POP gateway for synchronizing notes to your mobile device - you'll be able to use you device's email client (for example, MS Pocket Outlook) to download and store your notes and have them available on a plane, train or mountain trail.

As an aside, mobile data connectivity improves over time. For example, iPhone and Blackberry come with standard data plans...

When you have network connectivity, you can access your notes thru Evernote 3 Mobile Web interface. And, as Dave already mentioned, we are adding IMAP/POP gateway for synchronizing notes to your mobile device - you'll be able to use you device's email client (for example, MS Pocket Outlook) to download and store your notes and have them available on a plane, train or mountain trail.

As an aside, mobile data connectivity improves over time. For example, iPhone and Blackberry come with standard data plans...

But here's the thing... I frequently DO NOT have network connectivity on my device, and want to be able to have a LOCAL copy of my EverNote notebooks on there so I can access them when off the grid.

That's the idea - you'll have the local copy of your notebook or selected notes in your mobile mail client.

(Yes, it's a problem that some mail clients don't allow you to store data on flash card.)

I don't want it in my mobile mail client for exactly that reason -- I can store my large (120+ meg) notebooks on my SD card. But my mobile mail client forces me to use precious system memory.

That's the idea - you'll have the local copy of your notebook or selected notes in your mobile mail client.

(Yes, it's a problem that some mail clients don't allow you to store data on flash card.)

I don't want it in my mobile mail client for exactly that reason -- I can store my large (120+ meg) notebooks on my SD card. But my mobile mail client forces me to use precious system memory.

Let us not get too excited yet. If there are after market e-mail clients that will save messages on my storage card I am willing to give them a try, to use with EverNote 3.0 Beta, at least for testing out the Beta. I have not looked into the WM6 client yet, but I gather (maybe incorrectly) that it uses folders in an e-mail client to hold my notes. It is not clear to me how I run searches to find my notes, but I still have a lot to understand and learn about the WM6 client usage model.

Most of the day I do not have web access from my PPC (it has WiFi). I am not at all eager to spend an additional US $100+ per month to buy an unlimited data plan so I can access my EverNote notes via EV/DO.

I am a currently using EN portable on a flash drive and love it. I have been thinking (read: going to) of a move to EN Mobile and using a PDA (been looking at the HP 111). Having all my notes with me is important, but like the OP mentioned, I will not have access to a wireless connection for a large part of the day. I would need the database to be "in" the device. I also live in a very rural area, cell phone access is spotty at home...

Is EN 3 going to change the way En works totally? Will there not be a version of EN Mobile that will work on a PDA and keep the data "in" the device?

Or will EN Mobile and EN3 be two totally different products?

John

John,

Thank you for your kind words about EN Portable!

About making Evernote mobile for you.

I have been thinking (read: going to) of a move to EN Mobile and using a PDA (been looking at the HP 111). Having all my notes with me is important, but like the OP mentioned, I will not have access to a wireless connection for a large part of the day. I would need the database to be "in" the device. I also live in a very rural area, cell phone access is spotty at home...

Is EN 3 going to change the way En works totally? Will there not be a version of EN Mobile that will work on a PDA and keep the data "in" the device?

Evernote for Windows Mobile client allows you to easily capture notes while away from your computer. You take a picture or a voice recording, and it uploads it into your Web account. You can also jot a quick text note. All this doesn't require constant connectivity - your notes will be uploaded when you have wireless or wired data connection.

As for accessing your notes, when you are connected - you can use Web Mobile interface. When you aren't - you can use your email client like MS Pocket Outlook to download your notes via IMAP. This is another way to access your data - via desktop client, via Web/HTTP, via IMAP...

We'll be very interested to hear from people who use Evernote for Windows Mobile and our Web Mobile and IMAP interfaces.

Just a small note about the mail storage concerns I've read above.

I'm currently using a Windows Mobile 6 phone. On both it and my older iPAQ (PPC 2003) devices, I've had the option to chose where mail is stored.

Just go into Messaging and then go to the Storage tab under Options. If a storage card is found, simply check the box to store mail on the card.

Just a small note about the mail storage concerns I've read above.

I'm currently using a Windows Mobile 6 phone. On both it and my older iPAQ (PPC 2003) devices, I've had the option to chose where mail is stored.

Just go into Messaging and then go to the Storage tab under Options. If a storage card is found, simply check the box to store mail on the card.

Are you certain? On my WM6 device I have the option to store e-mail ATTACHMENTS on the storage card, but not all e-mail. Can you store ALL e-mail on your storage card, or only the attachments?

Right now I am assuming that my EverNote 3b notes would be main-line e-mail, not e-mail attachments. So I am assuming that the EN3b notes would indeed go into precious main RAM, rather than onto the storage card.

My apologies. :oops:

I forgot about the registry hack I use for that. Hate when I do that!

No worries.

Tell us more about the registry hack, please? Is it device-specific or does it apply generally to WM6? :?: (At least one enquiring mind wants to know. 8) )

John,

Thank you for your kind words about EN Portable!

About making Evernote mobile for you.

I have been thinking (read: going to) of a move to EN Mobile and using a PDA (been looking at the HP 111). Having all my notes with me is important, but like the OP mentioned, I will not have access to a wireless connection for a large part of the day. I would need the database to be "in" the device. I also live in a very rural area, cell phone access is spotty at home...

Evernote for Windows Mobile client allows you to easily capture notes while away from your computer. You take a picture or a voice recording, and it uploads it into your Web account. You can also jot a quick text note. All this doesn't require constant connectivity - your notes will be uploaded when you have wireless or wired data connection.

As for accessing your notes, when you are connected - you can use Web Mobile interface. When you aren't - you can use your email client like MS Pocket Outlook to download your notes via IMAP. This is another way to access your data - via desktop client, via Web/HTTP, via IMAP...

We'll be very interested to hear from people who use Evernote for Windows Mobile and our Web Mobile and IMAP interfaces.

Not sure that answered my question, or I did not ask it properly, or I am mixing apples and oranges :)

Are EN3, EN Mobile, and EN Portable three different products?

Will there not be a version of EN Mobile that will work on a PDA and keep the data "in" the device? I hope I have this wrong, not having the data "in" the device would make EN useless to me except for EN Portable...

John

No worries.

Tell us more about the registry hack, please? Is it device-specific or does it apply generally to WM6? :?: (At least one enquiring mind wants to know. 8) )

Certainly! While I can't find the exact link I originally used, this XDA forum post appears to reference the same two keys that I've changed so I'm reasonably confident it's the same thing:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=254248 (3rd post down).

I did have to remove the Today plugin for messaging though. Apparently it loads before the storage card and things would get a bit wonky on restarts.... a small price to pay though! (at least, imho)

Are EN3, EN Mobile, and EN Portable three different products?

Let's go through these one by one:

* EN3 is a short-hand for the whole service - servers, desktop and mobile clients.

* Evernote for Windows Mobile is a client for devices running MS Windows Mobile, see more at http://www.evernote.com/download/beta/#windowsmobile

* We also have a Mobile Web interface - "website" optimized for mobile devices (http://www.evernote.com/support/beta/mobileweb.php)

* EN Portable is a desktop client for MS Windows XP and Vista optimized to run off portable devices.

Will there not be a version of EN Mobile that will work on a PDA and keep the data "in" the device? I hope I have this wrong, not having the data "in" the device would make EN useless to me except for EN Portable...

Currently Evernote for Windows Mobile doesn't store your notes locally. When you have network connectivity, you can access your notes thru Evernote 3 Mobile Web interface. We are also adding IMAP/POP gateway for synchronizing notes to your mobile device - you'll be able to use you device's email client (for example, MS Pocket Outlook) to download and store your notes and have them available on a plane, train or mountain trail.

As for extending Evernote for Windows Mobile itself to store the data locally, we are thinking about this, but don't have any specific plans yet. For now we encourage people to give EN IMAP interface a try. See http://www.evernote.com/support/beta/imap/ It's about iPhone, we still need to write up instruction for Windows Mobile, but they are pretty similar.

Currently Evernote for Windows Mobile doesn't store your notes locally.

Some days I feel especially dense :) - Sorry for the additional questions and needed clarification.

I thought the purpose of EN for Windows Mobile was to be able to carry your notes with you. In reading the EN for Windows Mobile forum, I run across these statements that made me this that was exactly what it did:

This is unbelievable. I just opened a 32 meg database on my Cingular (AT&T) Blackjack. I thought I would crash it, but it is working unbelievably well. I have images, text notes, etc... All of them work. This is the best thing to ever happen to my smartphone.
I've opened (and do so regularly) ENbases in the range of 120 megs on my Dell Axim X51v.
Clearly having to copy the databases manually is limiting but I'm sure you will produce a conduit
It pulled across my 4mb EN database without a hitch and is truely amazing that the mixed data there can be viewed and edited so well on the PPC

and from the EN page about EN for Windows Mobile: http://www.evernote.com/products/evernote/technology_preview/:

Access all your notes anytime: Your notes are stored locally on the mobile device and can be accessed anytime

John

You are referring to the Technology Preview program that we ran in the fall. It did have local storage, but we hit a number of serious limitations of Windows Mobile platform when dealing with large amount of data.

What we released into this Beta program and will release as a finished product is different - its purpose is to capture notes. It works in tandem with:

* Evernote Mobile Web interface that gives you access to all your notes when connected; and/or

* IMAP interface for downloading your notes into your email client for off-line access.

We are investigating other options for providing local storage on different mobile platforms.

I know it just officially launched a day or two ago, but perhaps google gears for mobile could help with the local storage problems. It would allow for those who need offline access to their files to use it without completely redesigning your existing Evernote 3 infrastructure. You could even use it to allow for access to specific notebooks or offline access for just a specific period of time in the past.

You are referring to the Technology Preview program that we ran in the fall. It did have local storage, but we hit a number of serious limitations of Windows Mobile platform when dealing with large amount of data.

What we released into this Beta program and will release as a finished product is different - its purpose is to capture notes. It works in tandem with:

* Evernote Mobile Web interface that gives you access to all your notes when connected; and/or

* IMAP interface for downloading your notes into your email client for off-line access.

We are investigating other options for providing local storage on different mobile platforms.

Well I guess I am in a holding pattern for that PDA now... Looking forward to the "other options"

John

Put me down for the Windows Mobile Client, storing my files on the client (The Technology preview model). I spend too much time disconnected to do it otherwise. I don't care if I have to copy the file using Activesync as opposed to full synchronization.

Cheers,

Phil

I've had the technology preview on my ppc for a while now. I have removed it so I could try the 3.0 beta and I must say I am really struggling without the features of the technical preview, and ever day I am realising how important it has become to my work (and play). I feel like I have taken a huge step backward to the point where I may just load the tech preview back on and stick with 2.2.

I bought the first version of Evernote only because of the picture of the Treo 600 running Evernote, and I have bought every upgrade to support Evernote in getting a Palm/PPC client out there. And you finally did it. But now you are taking that away and I have decided that I will not be upgrading without the PPC client being available or the implementation of a local sync to something like the PPC tech preview. The tech preview is the main reason I use Evernote instead of OneNote even though OneNote is a far superior tablet PC program.

I really do like the new look of Evernote 3 and although I didn't think I'd care I've become very fond of the internet sync functionality for my computers. It really works better than local sync, although 2.2's local sync is still very good. I'm not using all the features of Evernote, just the one's I need and I realy like it. The lack of local storage especially on the PPC is a deal breaker for me.

And pleeeeeeaaaaaase can we have a way to annotate on an image. Maybe we could use a copy of a picture or file as a "background" that we could ink on. You know, a "send to Evernote as a background" context menu function.

Gordon

And pleeeeeeaaaaaase can we have a way to annotate on an image. Maybe we could use a copy of a picture or file as a "background" that we could ink on. You know, a "send to Evernote as a background" context menu function.

If you are talking about Windows client here, not PocketPC, then you have the ability to draw over the screen in Universal Clipper, and send screenshot with annotations into Evernote. The annotations are not ink (you can't edit them), but still this is a nifty option.

If you are talking about Windows client here, not PocketPC, then you have the ability to draw over the screen in Universal Clipper, and send screenshot with annotations into Evernote. The annotations are not ink (you can't edit them), but still this is a nifty option.

I don't think any serious Tablet PC user would disagree with me when say (with the greatest respect), "Nah, It aint". I tried it and it's no where near to being truely useful like editable annotations are. I have as many notes in OneNote as Evernote soley as a result of the ability to have mixed notes. Even if ir were text, not ink, being able to annotate revolutionises the way you take and store and information. I can't imagine any student or professional using Evernote over OneNote without this feature.

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

New to the Forum, But I loooove the "see my notes everywhere"concept.

I Also NEED off-line access to my notes on a portable device, I sometimes need my notes in the cellar of the building. Imap might be sufficient.

So:

I chime in for am local store for Evernote portable, even if it is "view-only"

furthermore:

I am experimenting with Imap. but it stops "importing" at 100 items, although I have 156 notes at the moment.

Did anyone have that problem?

Tom

Hello. Is anybody else having trouble getting the pocket pc version to run? I uninstalled the old preview version and installed the new one. It starts to run, but then shuts down. I never actually see the program. I uninstalled it from both my PC and pocket PC, leaned the registry on the Pocket PC of any Evernote entries and then tried installing it again. Everything goes fine, but then it will not start. I've been trying to get this to work for a week or so and I am getting a little frustrated. I would like to try the new features, but I may just have to give up[ and go back to the preview, which always worked fine. If anybody has any ideas I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks, Nick

Archived