Searchable PDFs from Android smartphone

I've had a go at taking photos of cookbook indexes with my Android smartphone (Nexus 4). I'm aiming to get a searchable PDF in Evernote so I've tried Document and Camera options on the Camera menu but when the images get uploaded to Evernote, they are never searchable even after waiting for a couple of weeks. I've tried dragging the images to my desktop and they seem to be JPGs. I'm an Evernote Premium member and have been for a while. Where am I going wrong here?

• Level 5*

Hi.  The document camera option on your Android should give you a searchable result,  though it may not give you a PDF file unless you're copying more than one page.  You shouldn't have to wait more than a day for an OCR to complete - but a successful OCR depends a lot on the size and clarity of the text.  Try taking your pictures in the best possible light and make sure they're correctly in focus,  and the document is within the guidelines you see on screen.  If this is a fine-print Index,  maybe try taking half a page at a time - experiment with how close you need to be to the document to get a searchable result.  It is possible!

Archived