Evernote Application Hangs on Windows 8.1

cjshaker

I've run into several occasions where the Evernote application hangs completely on Windows 8.1 (all latest updates from Microsoft).
Once it hangs, it never comes back. Windows says (Not Responding). I'll have to kill Evernote to see what version it is.

Evernote is 5.8.8.7837 (275837) Public, which it claims is the latest version.

Chris Shaker

• Level 5*

Hi Chris

I'm running Win 8.0 and 8.1 on separate laptops and had the same EN version for a while with no major problems that I'm aware of - not sure if I saw in a previous post that you were already uninstalling/ reinstalling Evernote,  but that may do it for you - updates can grow quite a lot of app "bloat" over a period,  where a complete removal and fresh install will get rid of the debris and start a new set of files.  (You get to keep the database though...)

If you don't have the detailed instructions for this,  please post back and we'll give you the full set.

When you post,  by the way - I'd leave out your email address.  This is a public forum,  and spammers can lean in and harvest your address for their own evil purposes - you could get a whole load of new friends that way...  you should be able to remove it from your posts if you want to.

• Level 5*

. . . updates can grow quite a lot of app "bloat" over a period,

where a complete removal and fresh install will get rid of the debris and start a new set of files. 

@Gaz:   Really??

Do you have any actual evidence of this?  Any documented reports?

So, do you do a clean reinstall for every Evernote update?

Or is "bloat" just some anecdotal rumor you heard somewhere sometime that you throw out when you don't really know what's causing the problem?

It's very interesting.  Evernote is the ONLY app that in recent years that I ever have to do a clean reinstall.

I've even had MS Office 2011 running for 4 years now, with  at least 5 or 6 major updates, and many dozens of minor updates.

Yet, I've never had to reinstall it, let alone a clean reinstall, on any of my Macs.

I also have run MS Office Win on Win7 (and all prior versions) for many, many years, and I never had to reinstall it

Yet I have seen many examples in these forums of where a clean reinstall of Evernote does in fact resolve a number of issues.

And this is on all platforms.  I do see more Evernote issues on Win 8/8.1 than I do on Win7.

So what does this mean?

Well, IMO, it has nothing to do with "bloat".  Since Evernote seems to be the only app in modern times to have this issue, it points to a flawed installer/updater used by Evernote.

So please, stick to the facts, and spare us your wild guesses.

• Level 5*
Yet I have seen many examples in these forums of where a clean reinstall of Evernote does in fact resolve a number of issues.

Hi JM - just so I get this straight;  you agree with what I said,  just not how I said it?  (And you took a lot more words to contribute your opinion too)

Stunning.

• Level 5*

Hi JM - just so I get this straight;  you agree with what I said,  just not how I said it?  (And you took a lot more words to contribute your opinion too)

Stunning.

To set it straight, I do NOT agree with what you said.  I thought I made it very clear that "bloat", IMO, has NOTHING to do with the Evernote issues.

Gaz, if you want to just say "As a last resort if nothing else works, you can do a clean reinstall of Evernote because it often fixes the issue" without any BS commentary as to why, then I would have no objections.

• Level 5*

So.  Let's try not to clutter up this thread with further meaningless disagreements shall we?

Sure, but is not clutter if I am correcting your erroneous statements.  As long as you stick to the facts about Evernote that you are actually sure about, and don't pontificate about things that you have little actual knowledge of, then I'll have no reason to respond.

But, like in the image thread, if you make statements I know to be false or grossly misleading, then you can expect a response so that other readers won't be mislead.

• Level 5*

I don't respond to rants like that in the interests of keeping to the actual point of the thread - which in this case (if you remember) was "the Evernote application hangs". 

It'll be interesting to hear from the OP - if he wasn't too disconcerted by the big fuss - as to whether a reinstall works.

I'd suggest your time might be better spent exercising your much touted Macspertise on posts like this one.  It's currently 4 days old and counting...

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/85635-cannot-open-forwarded-email/#entry364220

• Level 5*

@Gaz:  You said you do not want to clutter with "further meaningless disagreements", yet you do just that.  Why don't you take your own advice?

You seem to be missing the point:  My comments about your posts are precipitated by your erroneous, misleading remarks.

If you truly do not want me to respond, then stick to well established facts about how to use the Evernote product, not guessing about how/why Evernote makes decisions, nor about how the product works internally.

So.  Let's try not to clutter up this thread with further meaningless disagreements shall we?

I updated to the Beta version on Windows 8.1. So far, no hangs.

But the 'format/simplify formatting' tool does not seem to work correctly. It does not remove multiple lines of whitespace, and it does not create hyperlinks for URLs.

Chris Shaker

• Level 5*

Hi Chris.  Glad to hear the update works after a fashion;  I'm not sure the 'simplify formatting' feature ever did remove whitespace,  but I do know that there's a problem with URL recognition in the new version,  which hopefully EN will fix soon.

Archived