Evernote and its intended uses

I have been an Evernote premium user since 2010, and my usage patterns have not massively changed in that time.

I have just recevied an email from Evernote:

"Please note: Evernote and its intended uses"

There’s been an extraordinary amount of activity on your Evernote account.."

Has any other user had this email from evernote? And no, I do not use EN it to backup my laptop, store RAW images etc - just word docs and PDFs mainly.

Yes.

7 weeks ago.

"Unlimited Upload" isn't unlimited - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/83923-unlimited-upload-isnt-unlimited/?p=358540

I think I got five or six over the weekend

It was 9 GB not 7. It took me one week to clean my Evernote account and computer (the reason why it was happened was a huge backup in wrong folder.

I lost 3 important notes totally. All was recovered 6/6 from an ENEX archive. I do backups very often since 1996

• Ex Employees

I have been an Evernote premium user since 2010, and my usage patterns have not massively changed in that time.

Has any other user had this email from evernote? And no, I do not use EN it to backup my laptop, store RAW images etc - just word docs and PDFs mainly.

This is an automatic email that goes out whenever we detect a high amount of upload in a short period of time. I apologize for any confusion that the automatic email or the support response created, but it was mostly a friendly reminder of account health and best uses. As you already know, we do have user guidelines that can be referenced if you find yourself running into this issue again. 

Everything should be fine in your account, but if you please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or additional concerns. 

This is an automatic email that goes out whenever we detect a high amount of upload in a short period of time. I apologize for any confusion that the automatic email or the support response created, but it was mostly a friendly reminder of account health and best uses. As you already know, we do have user guidelines that can be referenced if you find yourself running into this issue again. 

Everything should be fine in your account, but if you please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or additional concerns. 

It alerted me so I stop the rest of the 29 GB... :blush:

What does high amount of upload mean?

Numbers of new / changed notes?

Size of data exchanged?

please clarify - thank you

• Level 5*

Agreed, GB is the focus in the new "infinite" world.  I was just trying to stress for a free user you can eat up 60MB pretty quickly, a few good PDFs or images will make it happen.

I have been a Premium Member since 2010. I recieved the wonderful news that this premium service now includes unlimited uploads and 200 mb notes!

I was so excited i almost dropped my evernote triangle commuter bag which holds my evernote thermos!

Today after i uploaded 3 notes for a grand total of 260 MB  i recieved this same "friendly reminder".

Please tell me what the limits are and i will stay within them, i dont need a reminder.

Wow...got this email too.  Was loading PDFs (along with web pages) found on the net as part of a short term project.  Been using a save now, screen and delete later approach, since sources have several related topics, and it is easier to categorize and store them for later review offline than to review and then save, real time. 

Would prefer the ability to select the pages within the PDF to save (It is either whole doc, or a select single section to image), which might mitigate this issue, but that does not exist.

BTW, was monitoring the "Usage" meter on the Desktop, but it seems to no longer have the meter...it just shows the Account Info.  Maybe ran over the limit, but how to know without this?

I got a warning email after uploading roughly 100MB this morning. It is very frustrating for Evernote to not give any estimates or guidelines for how much data is too much, remove your ability to track how much you're using (the monthly usage meter is now completely gone for Premium users), and then scold you with an unaccountable email about "extraordinary use" after a morning of, actually, very ordinary use. It fosters resentment to not only be told "you're using this wrong" as a paying customer who's using the software as advertised, but to also not have any method of tracking whether or not you are using it wrong, nor options for recourse if you're actually using it right.

The Intended Use/Unsupported Use distinctions added to the User Guidelines on April 29th get even weirder if you really try to discern what they do and don't want you to do. Evernote's Auto-Import Folders feature... is that unsupported use because it's used for "automatically archiving emails or files"? The FileThis web app... is that unsupported use because it, likewise, is used for "automatically archiving emails or files"? I find the lack of clarifications unsettling.

Can you find any other uses of official Evernote features, services, or apps that could be considered "file backups" or "automated content archiving?" I'm sure Evernote would like to be alerted to such violations of the User Guidelines, considering "Certain bulk activities such as file backups and automated content archiving are unsupported and may cause temporary service interruption."

It's only amid discussions of whether the Intended/Unsupported distinction is meant to be a legal one, protecting Evernote against claims of lost data as a "productivity" app rather than a "storage" or "backup" app, that I notice it really seems like they dropped the whole "Remember Everything" slogan, didn't they?

• 4 weeks later...

I got the note. 

I am a premium user as well. This month my usage shows 1.3GB of 4 used, with 20 days to go. So it's not really obvious to me as I'm on a runrate to just hit the limit.

I use the service to scan finance articles for future reference. PDFs that run 5-7MB per page  and 2-3 page average. 

Maybe the burst of activity, the 1.3GB was over the last couple days, is what tripped the note. I was just surprised to see this. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the very same email for the second time in a month.  My reaction was this: I've been a premium user for YEARS, faithfully lining the pockets of Evernote executives & having no annoying problems over all this time.... I *PAY* them to let me use this service.  What the HELL do they care how much I upload in a damn month or if I'm using it as a storage account or not?  What the hell else would people really use it for that they would need the amount of storage that we were promised as premium users?  It's NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS how I use my account, given that I don't do anything overtly "against the rules."  (<wtf ARE the rules, anyway??) 

I had a computer crash in late June and it took with it a LOT of stuff that did not "sync" like I thought it had on my Evernote account.  I was able to use a data recovery program & get a bunch of important files back.  So I loaded Evernote onto my NEW computer, & proceeded to add the "missing" files that I had previously put on my Evernote desktop version (again, that never did Sync...not sure what the bug was there....).  So yes, as I was setting up my new computer & re-establishing all of my files, a LOT of data probably did hit their server.  But again, how the hell is that their CONCERN if I am a long term paying customer??

Evernote: let me just share with you this, lest you think that you can ANNOY loyal customers without a second thought- you are not even CLOSE to the only "cloud" or organizational service out there anymore.  There are LOTS of other apps & programs these days that are just as convenient as Evernote...many of which are FREE!  So it would be a really good thing if you would BACK OFF & just leave me alone, & never you mind about how much data streaming I do at any ONE given time, as long as I am not over the GB limit set by my premium subscription. 

I should go now.... I think I hear DropBox & Microsoft calling me.... (or was it Wunderlist?  or Trello?? hmmm.....)

• Level 5*

It's NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS how I use my account, given that I don't do anything overtly "against the rules."  (<wtf ARE the rules, anyway??) 

I agree these emails about uploads, when you are a Premium user with "unlimited" uploads, are a PITA.

IMO, the Evernote process that determines when emails are to be sent needs serious review and revision.

Having said that, in fact all commercial software/services come with a license agreement, and many with severe restrictions.

That's just part of the price for using their SW.  If you don't like the agreement, then you don't have to use the SW.  That is one of the reasons I don't use many Google products.

In answer to your question about rules, see User Guidelines | Evernote

Archived