Chrome Web Clipper only getting pdf link, not document

Sharon P

Idea

I just noticed that when I clip a pdf in Chrome, Evernote only shows the link, not the document. I tried it on two different pdfs from different sites and it's the same thing.

Now that I look back in time, it seems ALL my pdf's have been converted to these links. Anyone know what that is? I'm sure it used to show the entire thing in a window, one page at a time. But as far as I can tell from skimming, there isn't a single one left that hasn't been turned into a link.

Anyone know what's going on with this? Haven't seen anyone talk about it here.

Thanks...

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I'm not sure what is happening in your situation, but another approach is to download the PDF to an Evernote Import folder.

If you right-click on the link to the PDF, and choose "Save link target as...", you should be able to then select your EN Import folder.

If you are viewing the PDF in Chrome, just click on the popup SAVE button at the bottom of the window, then choose your EN Import folder.

HTH.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Chrome clipper options include some settings for clip type,  which can be the PDF,  a bookmark,  or a screen shot of a section. 

In Options you can change the way that clips are taken - either always as PDFs,  or just in the same way that the last clip was taken.  If you changed the clip type to Bookmark,  that might be the reason for it persisting now as the same type.  Next time you clip,  change it to PDF and you should be back to normal...

post-63053-0-68974100-1434128003_thumb.j

Ahhh, JMichael, that's a good workaround to know. 

But, gazumped, I just checked and I do have the pdf option selected. I think I was misleading in my original post. It's not just a link that's showing up in EN, more like a button, I've attached a picture so you can see what it looks like in both the card and the note.

I also clipped a separate pdf using the bookmark option to verify that's not what's going on, and in that case it does just show a title and a plain link.

Thanks to both of you for the help and any more ideas you can come up with!

Sharon

post-224412-0-60865100-1434140368_thumb.

• Level 5*

Ahhh, JMichael, that's a good workaround to know. 

I also clipped a separate pdf using the bookmark option to verify that's not what's going on, and in that case it does just show a title and a plain link.

Thanks to both of you for the help and any more ideas you can come up with!

Sharon

@Sharon:

The icon you see (shown below) in your EN Note is a link, but a link to the PDF stored in your Evernote folder/database.

You should be able to the following in EN Win:

1. Double-click on it to display the PDF file in your default PDF app on your computer
  2. Right-click and "View Inline" to show the PDF displayed in your EN Note.

(NOT available in EN Web client)

If you can't do both of these, then something is wrong.

You might start troubleshooting with:

1. Sign out of Evernote Win
  2. Restart your PC
  3. Sign back in to EN Win

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Screenshot of PDF Attachment Icon in EN Win

EN-Win-PDF-Icon.gif

Ahhh, yes, @JMichael, I can open it in Foxit but there is no "view inline" option. Signing out/rebooting is a great idea I will try to tomorrow when it's no longer 94° in my apartment :-(

Thanks!

Archived