Evernote Desktop and Windows 10

• Level 5*

A few Evernote users seem to be trialling EN and W10,  with varying but generally positive results. 

As it's a new OS,  no doubt there will be some bugs and hiccups.  You could do some Google searches (a web search will also turn up Forum posts) to check on progress - or just install Evernote and see whether it works for you.

A quick search for "Evernote Windows 10" (without the quotes) time-limited to the past year gave me hits including

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/81516-web-clipper-with-windows-10-and-ie-11/
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/82189-font-smoothing-windows-10/

I've been running Windows 10 as my PRIMARY desktop machine for a couple of months now - I use EN all the time for all my notes (syncing with various mobile devices and other Windows computers/laptops).  I have found NO Windows 10 specific issues.

I have been running Win10 on a backup machine.  No issues with EN, more issues with Win10 and graphics adapters, but that is another story.  :(

I concur  - be prepared to spend a lot of time sorting Win 10 graphics .. especially if you are using multiple monitors.  I have EN open all the time on a second monitor, so I can take daily notes whilst I'm working.  It took a while to get the Win 10 configuration to behave, but finally got there .. but IMHO it was worth it - probably Microsof'ts best OS for quite a while.

• Level 5*

I have been running Win10 on a backup machine.  No issues with EN, more issues with Win10 and graphics adapters, but that is another story.  :(

I concur  - be prepared to spend a lot of time sorting Win 10 graphics .. especially if you are using multiple monitors.  I have EN open all the time on a second monitor, so I can take daily notes whilst I'm working.  It took a while to get the Win 10 configuration to behave, but finally got there .. but IMHO it was worth it - probably Microsof'ts best OS for quite a while.

Thanks for the information.  I tested on an older laptop with a second monitor.  Couldn't get it to play nice at all, neither screen resolution nor extending to the second monitor.  I'm assuming at this point it was the age/capability of the driver on that machine.  I will wait for the final release until I try it on my main machine.  And true, EN performed just fine during the test.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is Windows 10 specific or a problem with the  Evernote_5.8.8.7837.exe installer. When I try to install on Windows 10 (Build 10130) the installer tries to find the Evernote.msi in C:\Users\david\AppData\Local\Temp\ which does not exist. When I search my machine for Evernote.msi it does not exist anywhere. It then says "The older version of Evernote v 5.8.8 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. I removed it using Windows uninstall and then for good measure purged it with iobit uninstaller to make sure it was all gone. No joy though as the installer just exists with (.\Bootstrapper.cpp:918) 0x643:Fatal error during installation.

Anybody seen and fixed this problem?

• Level 5*

No previous posts that I'm aware of on that specific error or Windows 10 - something similar here -

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-fix-evernote-unable-to-uninstall-install-or-update/ for a possible fix...

User Nicolas Dorier posted this - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36401-windows-error-code-2732-workarounds/

I'd suggest you report this by choosing "login/account access issue" in the first dropdown after logging in here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action - or reach out on Twitter @Evernotehelps (include the forum thread URL for extra background)

Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.

Thanks have now done that.

Fixed - or at least got around the problem by deleting EN entirely, restoring EN 8.1 first checked EN was using AppData by un-hiding it  and then installed EN 8.8.

Actually this process showed me I am not really a fan of the Windows desktop version as the browser gives me more or less everything I need.

• 1 month later...

I upgraded last night and Evernote Desktop Premium is behaving very erratically. Among other things, links in notes used to open browser window and go to page linked, now just does nothing. Program also crashes every few minutes. Surprisingly enough every single other thing and program on my computer working flawlessly, a minor miracle for MS. I logged out of EN, uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, same story. Redid that cycle three times same story, ran as administrator same thing. Ran compatibility test and it said Evernote not compatible. On the upside, Evernote support has been very responsive and trying to get to the bottom of it.

post-265234-0-92499400-1438291970_thumb.

I upgraded to Windows 10 and I installed evernote. It mostly works well. The only bad thing is in tablet mode, when I select an area in a note to enter text, the onscreen keyboard doesn't show up. There also isn't a button to display the onscreen keyboard by default. You have to enable it going into:

All settings

System-> Tablet mode -> Hide app icons on the taskbar in tablet mode OFF

Then when in tablet mode, press and hold (right click) the taskbar and say show touch keyboard button

Now you can manually trigger the keyboard in evernote. It is a minor annoyance. Otherwise, everything I tried works great!

I can't copy from the EN Desktop subject line. Paste into works fine, but none of the following copies to the clipboard: Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Ins, Menu > Copy, Menu-Cut. Oddly enough I can mouse click and grab it from the subject line into the clipboard (of course I have to move the text somewhere).

Build: 5.8.15.8352 (276352)

• Level 5*

The problem being the font of the text in the note?

Yeah, no matter what font I choose, text looks all messed up. Everything was fine on 8.1.

Same thing with anything else you put text into?  Might try File - Exit from EN and then start back up, to see if that might clear it.  No issues with any of my fonts on Win10 with EN, FWIW.

The Evernote Web Clipper does not work since upgrading to Windows 10.  I use Chrome as my browser.  Trying to clip from one open window results in content from other windows being selected and crossed up but the selected/active window is not included.   I have not been able to do a successful clip since upgrading.

I have been using Evernote (v5.8.13.8152) with the Windows 10 upgrade for a few days now on an Acer Aspire V3-517G laptop.

I have notice two serious issues:

1. The  note 'Presentation' mode does not work
  2. Note content will scroll of the top of the display area and leave it completely  blank. Sometimes I have to alternate between notes to get it to display again

These are some serious defect that Evernote should be trying hard to fix.

Evernote, there are no excuse to wait until Windows 10 is released to the public to start testing your software with it. You got to be ready for what is certainly coming!

In what way does it not work properly?

I can't select anything using the shortcut keys (WIN + Print Screen). There is a short screen flash, but selection box does not appear nor is anything sent/saved to EN.

Same here. Shortcut keys WIN + PrintScreen do nothing since upgrading to Windows 10 yesterday. That's a feature I've really utilized heavily in the past.

• Level 5*

Win-A doesn't work for me, either. I will see if I can get the other things that happen to stop happening - hard to retrain the brain when I have gotten so used to Win-A!

• Level 5*

I can't select anything using the shortcut keys (WIN + Print Screen). There is a short screen flash, but selection box does not appear nor is anything sent/saved to EN.

Go to Tools - Options - Hot Keys and set up your own hotkey.  I use Alt-P for capture screen.

Go to Tools - Options - Hot Keys and set up your own hotkey.  I use Alt-P for capture screen.

Duh, I thought about testing that, but hadn't gotten around to it. Thanks to you and csihilling for breaking me out of an "unconsious state."

Since upgrading to Win/10, I have all but lost handwritting capability.   I have a Samsung ProATV and nearly 90% of my input is via the pen.  Handwritting converted to text.  However, since moving to Wion/10, the input is very "Magic marker" like and

is not recognized by EN.  I completed nearly 40 minutes of Handwritting recognition with Win/10 thinking this would help to no avail.

I just upgraded to Windows 10. Made no changes to my system. The first time I started W10, Evernote re-synchronized all the files on my desktop. So now they are in the Evernote cloud two or three times. I am preparing to delete all of the duplicates but want to know if this is a problem that is going to re-occur or a one-time. If it's going to continue to occur (maybe every time Evernote loads up?) I'll wait for a fix before I delete all of the duplicates. It is annoying that the duplicates count towards my total usage though. 

Running Evernote v5.8.13.8152 under Windows 10 Pro and find each time I open Evernote my screens (two monitors) go black for ~ one second but then the screen images are restored. This only happens with Evernote (vs. every other program on my computer) and this was not present with Evernote under Win 8 or 7.

Pinning Evernote to the Taskbar doesn't work in Windows 10.  A second Evernote icon is shown instead.

Pinning to the taskbar has always been a problem with Evernote - in Windows 7 the pinned shortcut gets messed up every time Evernote upgrades itself.

post-265364-0-52452600-1439699703_thumb.

• Level 5*

I just upgraded to Windows 10. Made no changes to my system. The first time I started W10, Evernote re-synchronized all the files on my desktop. So now they are in the Evernote cloud two or three times. I am preparing to delete all of the duplicates but want to know if this is a problem that is going to re-occur or a one-time. If it's going to continue to occur (maybe every time Evernote loads up?) I'll wait for a fix before I delete all of the duplicates. It is annoying that the duplicates count towards my total usage though. 

Good call not to delete duplicates at this stage - if you decide to try it,  set up a test note and delete its duplicates first - keep Support informed of your issues.  You may be able to get some credit toward duplicated uploads if it was entirely down to W10..  Remember Twitter and @Evernotehelps!

Pinning Evernote to the Taskbar doesn't work in Windows 10.  A second Evernote icon is shown instead.

Pinning to the taskbar has always been a problem with Evernote - in Windows 7 the pinned shortcut gets messed up every time Evernote upgrades itself.

And i have this problem too.

• 2 weeks later...

Running Evernote v5.8.13.8152 under Windows 10 Pro and find each time I open Evernote my screens (two monitors) go black for ~ one second but then the screen images are restored. This only happens with Evernote (vs. every other program on my computer) and this was not present with Evernote under Win 8 or 7.

This same thing happens to me. 5.8.12.8127, windows 10 upgrade, identical issue. Only Evernote.

This same thing happens to me. 5.8.12.8127, windows 10 upgrade, identical issue. Only Evernote.

I wonder if Evernote is going to fix?

I installed Windows 10 a couple weeks ago and was disappointed to find that Evernote won't work with the new Edge browser. It would be so great to be able to scribble all over a webpage and then be able to clip it. Sigh. Isn't Evernote a Windows/Microsoft product?

Anyway, Evernote has been acting weird for me the past couple days -- after refreshes and reboots too. I'll typically have several webpages/tabs open at time. Now, when I go to clip one, Evernote makes duplicate copies . . . BUT it selects links from the surrounding tabs! So I'll have the clipping that I want, plus at least one extra with the same header but the wrong link that I have to delete.

Also, when I go to another tab, it has that clipping business that remains after a page is added to Evernote. Although sometimes it hasn't been added to Evernote!

This is bizarre, and I hardly know how to describe it. It's also getting annoying.

• 3 months later...

Greetings,

I am a relativity new user of Evernote and the Evernote ScanSnap.

I was evolving quite well in exploring it's uses and applications; everything was fine.

I downloaded Windows 10 last week and now i cant  scan. The green light is on and when I press it , it blinks approximately 4 times. If I press and hold it down, it goes into a blinking mode. I have downloaded again the Evernote 5.9.6.9494 to no avail. I have unplugged separately and collectively both power plug and USB cable. In all cases, the desired paper to be scanned doesn't move.

Can you offer any solutions?

Thank you in advance.

Steve

• Level 5*
On 24/12/2015 at 11:27 PM, Steve Grant said:

Greetings,

I am a relativity new user of Evernote and the Evernote ScanSnap.

I was evolving quite well in exploring it's uses and applications; everything was fine.

I downloaded Windows 10 last week and now i cant  scan. The green light is on and when I press it , it blinks approximately 4 times. If I press and hold it down, it goes into a blinking mode. I have downloaded again the Evernote 5.9.6.9494 to no avail. I have unplugged separately and collectively both power plug and USB cable. In all cases, the desired paper to be scanned doesn't move.

Can you offer any solutions?

Thank you in advance.

Steve

Hi.  Please don't post the same query twice - I think we already suggested;  uninstall and reinstall the scanner software / check the Help Center (see below) / contact Support on this...

• 4 months later...

[WINDOWS 10] The scroll bar is complete black and i am unable to scroll up/down. Is it problem with evernote in windows 10 or with any particular version of evernote, since this problem came only when i installed windows 10. 

• 1 month later...

On WIN 10 I cannot get the date & time stamp hotkey to display the current date in a note.  I've tried "CTR"+";" and also have tried "Shift"+"ALT"+"D".

When I use either of those hot keys, nothing happens.

Any ideas for alternatives?  I badly need the date time stamp functionality.  Thanks! 

• 2 months later...

I used to work a lot with the shortkey "win + print screen" to capture a part of the desktop.

With windows 10 this shortkey is defined by windows itself (=save a screenshot automatically).

Still Evernote's default for screen capturing is the same combo.

Anyone know how to disable the windows internal shortkey?

Archived