Evernote for Mac 6.0.14 Beta Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Today we’re releasing 6.0.14 beta which includes a number of bug fixes but the 2 I’d like to highlight are:
  • Fixes for encryption with bullets or hyperlinks.
  • A fix for copying & pasting tables.  This should fix both copying and pasting tables within a note and also from other apps like Microsoft Office or Google apps.
In terms of new features, we are simplifying our sharing experience a bit because of the great feedback from these forums.  Instead of getting a “Work Chat” dialog when trying to share a note or notebook, you will now see a simpler dialog that is focused only on sharing the note and not about discussing the note (See the attached screenshot).  It still uses work chat under the hood because this is the way all of our sharing works but the chat aspect is now hidden.  Let me know what you think.

Also, please let me know if you find any major issues in the note editing experience or other areas of the product in this forum post which makes it easier for me to find the issues people are reporting on the beta.

As always, thanks for all your help and participation in the Evernote for Mac community.   You can download the beta from here

post-223937-0-95470300-1433889202_thumb.

39 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

@Marcus:

I'm a bit concerned by the focus of Ver 6.0.14 Beta.

IMO, and I think many others, there are two key BUGs that need to be fixed ASAP. 

Please don't let the new UI design of the Left Side Panel delay the release of Ver 6.0.14 to fix these bugs.

Both of these bugs were introduced with Ver 6.0.13:

These are the fixes you highlighted in your OP of this thread (see below).

Thanks.

Today we’re releasing 6.0.14 beta which includes a number of bug fixes but the 2 I’d like to highlight are:
  • Fixes for encryption with bullets or hyperlinks.
  • A fix for copying & pasting tables.  This should fix both copying and pasting tables within a note and also from other apps like Microsoft Office or Google apps.

@Marcus:

It seems you're team ist still busy updating and preparing a new beta.

Can you please give instructions how i can revert back to v6.0.11.

It has been almost a month ago since v6.0.13 broke my workflows with the table-copy bug.

This is urgent because v6.0.13 severely limits my use of Evernote which i really rely on!

(Installing betas is not an option for me)

Thank you very much!

Please tell me how to go back to what I had before.  I can't stand this.  It is wasting time, interfering with my work.  I use Evernote as a productivity tool.  It is interfering with my work.

Right click does not work.  Nothing happens.  I get the same right click pop up box I get when I click anywhere else on my Mac - nothing to do w/Evernote. 

Please - how do I get what I had before that worked??

Mac 10.9.5

• Level 5*

I was hoping that either @Marcus or @Jack would respond to the earlier request to downgrade to Ver 6.0.11, but since they have not, you can follow the below process.  It includes a link to Ver 6.0.11 download.  Ver 6.0.11 is the last version where copy/paste of tables still worked properly.

Since later versions may have changed the data structure on the Mac, the only way I know to be safe for a downgrade is a clean reinstall.  As stated in the below process, be sure to do a full backup before you start.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac

Please tell me how to go back to what I had before.  I can't stand this.  It is wasting time, interfering with my work.  I use Evernote as a productivity tool.  It is interfering with my work.

Two issues I'm seeing, both involving opening a PDF in annotation mode. 

1. When opening a multi-page PDF in annotation mode, the PDF opens in a new fullscreen window, but it automatically switches down to page 3 or 4 (depending on how many pages are in the PDF, I think). It's annoying to have to scroll back up to page 1.

2. When I have a PDF open in annotation mode in fullscreen, then I switch do a different desktop, the PDF in annotation mode closes itself. This makes it (obviously) hard to be looking at the PDF in one desktop an another note (or a website in Chrome) in another desktop, as the PDF closes whenever I move away from it. 

@JMichael:

Thank you very much for your detailed instructions and for helping out!

I was hoping that either @Marcus or @Jack would respond to the earlier request to downgrade to Ver 6.0.11, but since they have not, you can follow the below process.  It includes a link to Ver 6.0.11 download.  Ver 6.0.11 is the last version where copy/paste of tables still worked properly.

Since later versions may have changed the data structure on the Mac, the only way I know to be safe for a downgrade is a clean reinstall.  As stated in the below process, be sure to do a full backup before you start.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac

To me, it looks like the sidebar has completely lost its center of gravity with the new larger icons.

The Work Chat icon looks particularly heavy-handed, especially so with it sitting alongside the light-weight Yosemite font. Laurel and Hardy sitting on a see-saw: Hardy after three christmas puddings, Laurel sipping through a straw.

Not a pleasant aesthetic experience.

Thanks for this feedback.  We're still working on the sidebar.  I'm hoping to have more changes in the next beta.  By the way, the goal for the changes are 2 fold. 1) To improve visibility of the selection and provide a little more color and 2) Provide some visual hierarchy between major buttons such as notes and notebooks and the sub-buttons underneath them. 

Thanks for the UI updates.  I for one am confused on the color choice of BLUE.  The icon is green, the site is green, the apps are green, why is the OS X highlight color BLUE?  Second item is when you select a notebook it does not highlight the notebook, just the NOTES icon.  Should highlight what you have selected.

Thank you

Thanks for the reply, Explorer and JMichael.  I'm a little terrified to uninstall and reinstall.  If I lose everything, I am so screwed.  I'm also swamped with work, so i really can't afford the time this is taking.  Maybe I'll tackle it this weekend (not happy about that use of a weekend).  I was so pleased with EN before this change - was using it a lot and telling friends and colleagues.  Now I'm working in GoogleDrive and Dropbox just to get stuff done and not lose it.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the reply, Explorer and JMichael.  I'm a little terrified to uninstall and reinstall.

You're welcome.   I understand uninstalling and deleting all of your important data is very scary.

A little bit of fear is good as it causes us to take proper precautions.  Too much fear is paralyzing.

Let me try to give you some reassurance, some comfort.

If you don't have any Local Notebooks, and all your Notes are sync'd, then they are all in the Evernote Cloud.

You could just as easily install EN Mac on a new Mac, and it would sync/download all of your Notes from the EN Cloud.

So, the first thing to do is make sure all your Notes are in the EN Cloud.

Go to Evernote.com and open the EN Web client (do NOT use the beta version).

Inspect your Notes carefully on there to convince yourself that all your Notes are in the Cloud.

Check the total Note count and the count by Notebook.  

So that's one of the great things about Evernote.  Your Notes are available to you everywhere, on any machine or OS (with few exceptions) that you'd like.

So once you've confirmed all your Notes are in the EN Cloud, you really have nothing to worry about.

However, being the cautious person that I am, would also suggest that you backup your Notes locally before doing the clean reinstall.   I would backup as follows:

1. Backup the entire Evernote folder on your Mac using Time Machine.
  2. Export to ENEX files all very important Notes that would be difficult or impossible to recreate if lost.

Details for doing this are in the reinstall link I provided in the above post.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck.

To me, it looks like the sidebar has completely lost its center of gravity with the new larger icons.

The Work Chat icon looks particularly heavy-handed, especially so with it sitting alongside the light-weight Yosemite font. Laurel and Hardy sitting on a see-saw: Hardy after three christmas puddings, Laurel sipping through a straw.

Thanks for this feedback.  We're still working on the sidebar.  I'm hoping to have more changes in the next beta.  By the way, the goal for the changes are 2 fold. 1) To improve visibility of the selection and provide a little more color and 2) Provide some visual hierarchy between major buttons such as notes and notebooks and the sub-buttons underneath them. 

Thanks for responding, Marcus.

This issue of 'visibility of the selection' is clearly an important one. and I find myself having to repeat a request I, and several other beta testers, have been making for such a long time.

Not wishing to keep repeating it on the forum, I had a pm conversation with Jack about it a long time ago - which I now quote:

'It's the old chestnut of selected tags no longer being highlighted in the sidebar since v5. Several people who I have turned on to EN have complained about this and I think it would be a lot less confusing if full highlighting were restored when a tag is selected. Since a GUI should offer as much instant recognition as possible, surely it would make sense to give us this back?

Jack responded by saying: '... your issue is absolutely on my roadmap.'

This exchange took place in September 2013! And since then, nothing has budged.

In the light of what you are saying about visibility, I do wish you'd bring highlighting tag selection in the sidebar back to the roadmap. It's very odd that when a tag is selected, not only is it not highlighted, but the All Notes title above notes does not even change to be replaced by the selected tag name as it used to in earlier versions of EN.

Very unintuitive.

We're looking at it but it's not as easy as it may appear.  What happens if you click on a note in a notebook that doesn't appear on the side bar or is collapsed.  Do we highlight the stack that the notebook is in?  What if the note has 4 tags.  Do we also highlight the 4 tags.  Or do we only show selection when you actually click on the item and ignore if you get to a note by other means.   Also what do we do when you click on a shortcut.  Does it get highlighted too?  Part of the issue is the way the data is structured and the way the sidebar is currently designed from a code perspective so we can only do so much without a complete rewrite which I'm trying to avoid.  Anyway, we're looking at it.

Thanks for the reply, Explorer and JMichael.  I'm a little terrified to uninstall and reinstall.  If I lose everything, I am so screwed.  I'm also swamped with work, so i really can't afford the time this is taking.  Maybe I'll tackle it this weekend (not happy about that use of a weekend).  I was so pleased with EN before this change - was using it a lot and telling friends and colleagues.  Now I'm working in GoogleDrive and Dropbox just to get stuff done and not lose it.

Hello caisner

I did revert from v6.0.13 back to v6.0.11 on two Macs yesterday.

It was a straightforward process with the help of the excellent instructions by JMichael.

And the great thing of Evernote is, that all synced Notes are automatically downloaded.

(which takes a moment, but you can work with Evernote in the meantime)

• Level 5*

@Marcus:        Encrypt/Decrypt Issue

I'm not sure whether this is a bug in EN Mac and/or EN Win, but there have now been quite a few reports like the one below:

Hi,

I am using Windows 7 in Office.  And have a Mac Mini at home.  When I encrypt text in windows and after sync on Mac mini the unencrypt text does not work.

Thank you.

Regards,

Prem

We're looking at it but it's not as easy as it may appear.  What happens if you click on a note in a notebook that doesn't appear on the side bar or is collapsed.  Do we highlight the stack that the notebook is in?  What if the note has 4 tags.  Do we also highlight the 4 tags.  Or do we only show selection when you actually click on the item and ignore if you get to a note by other means.   Also what do we do when you click on a shortcut.  Does it get highlighted too?  Part of the issue is the way the data is structured and the way the sidebar is currently designed from a code perspective so we can only do so much without a complete rewrite which I'm trying to avoid.  Anyway, we're looking at it.

Sorry it's taken so long for me get back to you, Marcus, especially after your kind response listing the complexities involved here. (Been busy.)

I think, to simplify matters a little, the EN sidebar should just behave as it used to up to v5, where selecting a tag visually highlighted that tag and we saw all the notes with that tag as expected. 

At this point I don't think we need to consider notes that, for whatever reason, don't appear on the sidebar or, for that matter, any other variables.

I'm just presupposing that our full list of tags is showing in the sidebar, like albums or playlists in the iTunes sidebar, and when we select a particular tag it becomes highlighted – again as is a given with playlists in iTunes.

Let's just get that back. Shortcut highlighting we can perhaps discuss later (even at the risk of meanwhile having to accept a less than pure vision with regard to uniformity).

Since shortcuts appear at the top of the sidebar, and there are, we can assume for most users, far less of them than there are tags, the issue of highlighting these shortcuts seems far less crucial.

• Level 5*

BUG/CRASH REPORT:  Unstable Column Widths in List View

EN Mac Ver 6.0.13 (1st Reported in 6.0.5)

Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.5) & Yosemite (10.10.3)

@Marcus:  This issue needs your attention, please.

Version 6.05 on iMac 27 with 10.10.2.

Using the Search function causes the column widths for the current notebook to be reset to match the search results column widths.

With the "side list" view and three columns displayed (Sync status, Title, Updated), enter a Search argument.  Canceling the Search will cause the Title column to be set very very narrow in the current notebook.  If you follow through with the Search and select a note, when you close the Search, the columns in the notebook containing the selected note will be set to the search results column widths.

Net result, if you search, you have to reset your column widths every time.

The graphics show Before, Search, After.

Yeah, it's still a bug in 6.0.13.  That's 8 releases and no fix?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS.... Every time i adjust the column width Evernote 6.11 CRASHES.  ... thats crazy unusable. I've sent a crash report each time (no one has responded to those).

Premium Paid User!

Filing (dragging and dropping) a note over to a shortcut causes a crash (i am on 6.0.14 beta and OSX 10.10.3)

Happens 100% of the time and appeared in 14 beta.  I file this way all the time and its just cropped up.

I did the update, and now I can't find anything.  I want to go back to how it was before.

How do I do this?

Thank you

Can you be more specific and tell us more why you can't find anything?  Is it because the UX has changed and now has bigger icons or is it because the search feature isn't working either via spotlight or some other mechanism.  I'm just not sure I understand the issue.  Thanks.

What's up with those huge new sidebar icons? They look completely outlandish compared to the small shortcut/recent notes icons and the freakishly tiny and barely distinguishable note editor icons.

• Level 5*

What's up with those huge new sidebar icons? They look completely outlandish compared to the small shortcut/recent notes icons and the freakishly tiny and barely distinguishable note editor icons.

Would you mind posting a screenshot for those of us who don't plan on updating to the Beta?

Thanks.

• Level 5*
@pgdahl:

Thanks for posting the screenshot.  Sorry it was so much trouble.   :(

So, are you saying that you like, or do NOT like, the larger size icons?

I for one kinda like them.  It would be even better is they were in different colors to make recognition faster.

Off-topic Side Note

BTW, attaching an image to this forum is not intuitive, nor easy.  So, long ago, I started posting screenshots using the "Image link" tool in to toolbar to a screenshot file stored in the public folder of my Dropbox.  I also use SnagIT (one license both Mac and Windows) as the tool for screenshots (images and videos) and great annotations.   I have  used SnagIT for years on both platforms and love it.

Tagging via AppleScript still seems to be an issue.

Here is what I observed using the following command:

set theItem to create note from file theFile notebook targetNotebook tags taglist created createdFileDate

1) I created a new note in an existing notebook with 2 NEW tags ("new1" "new2") --> worked fine

2) I created a new note in the same notebook using the now already created tags ("new1" "new2") --> the note did not get tagged at all. The tags got renamed to "new1 1" and "new2 1"; the first note has the renamed tags

3) I created a new note in the same notebook using the tags ("new1" "new2") --> The tags got renamed to "new1 1 1" "new2 1 1". The new note got tagged with these; the first note now has the renamed tags; the second note does not have any tags

Hope this helps in finding the bug.

@pgdahl:

Thanks for posting the screenshot.  Sorry it was so much trouble.   :(

So, are you saying that you like, or do NOT like, the larger size icons?

I for one kinda like them.  It would be even better is they were in different colors to make recognition faster.

Off-topic Side Note

BTW, attaching an image to this forum is not intuitive, nor easy.  So, long ago, I started posting screenshots using the "Image link" tool in to toolbar to a screenshot file stored in the public folder of my Dropbox.  I also use SnagIT (one license both Mac and Windows) as the tool for screenshots (images and videos) and great annotations.   I have  used SnagIT for years on both platforms and love it.

I dislike the disproportions of icons. Or rather, I dislike that they do not address the glaring obvious usability issues with the ridiculously small editor toolbar icons. The old icons were good enough. I suspect the only motive for making these huge icons is to make the new "Update"-button stand out more and WorkChat - if enabled - steals more focus ...

Here's a side by side comparison 

image.png      image.png

I didn't realise it yesterday, but it seem the highlighting has changed too.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Regarding images: Yes, I use the image link function as well. And Skitch has a very convenient option to share a link to the direct URL of an image. Sometimes it even works. Yesterday it didn't hence my sour remark.

FWIW, I like the new icons too and prefer them over the previous, smaller ones. I think the new icons are easier to distinguish from each other and from items under "Recent Notes" and "Shortcuts". I also prefer the more pronounced highlighting when the sidebar item is selected. Much improved.

Right click on Notebooks doesn't give me options in Evernote, just in Mac menu.

I'm not sure what is meant by the right click doesn't give you options in Evernote.  The right click menu works everywhere in Evernote.  If you're not seeing it then there might be a bug.  

Specifically to turn on the notebook list go to the Notebook button on the sidebar and right click to get the menu to turn on the note list.  If you don't see the right click menu then you can always go to the main View menu in the menu bar and select Sidebar Options : Show Notebook List.  

If you aren't seeing any right click menus can you tell me what version of MacOS you are running?

Tagging via AppleScript still seems to be an issue.

Here is what I observed using the following command:

set theItem to create note from file theFile notebook targetNotebook tags taglist created createdFileDate

1) I created a new note in an existing notebook with 2 NEW tags ("new1" "new2") --> worked fine

2) I created a new note in the same notebook using the now already created tags ("new1" "new2") --> the note did not get tagged at all. The tags got renamed to "new1 1" and "new2 1"; the first note has the renamed tags

3) I created a new note in the same notebook using the tags ("new1" "new2") --> The tags got renamed to "new1 1 1" "new2 1 1". The new note got tagged with these; the first note now has the renamed tags; the second note does not have any tags

Hope this helps in finding the bug.

Thanks for the detailed notes.  We recently fixed a number of areas where we were accidentally allowing for duplicate tag names and by making this more stringent it appears we broke AppleScript.  We're investigating.  

Thanks for responding, Marcus.

This issue of 'visibility of the selection' is clearly an important one. and I find myself having to repeat a request I, and several other beta testers, have been making for such a long time.

Not wishing to keep repeating it on the forum, I had a pm conversation with Jack about it a long time ago - which I now quote:

'It's the old chestnut of selected tags no longer being highlighted in the sidebar since v5. Several people who I have turned on to EN have complained about this and I think it would be a lot less confusing if full highlighting were restored when a tag is selected. Since a GUI should offer as much instant recognition as possible, surely it would make sense to give us this back?

Jack responded by saying: '... your issue is absolutely on my roadmap.'

This exchange took place in September 2013! And since then, nothing has budged.

In the light of what you are saying about visibility, I do wish you'd bring highlighting tag selection in the sidebar back to the roadmap. It's very odd that when a tag is selected, not only is it not highlighted, but the All Notes title above notes does not even change to be replaced by the selected tag name as it used to in earlier versions of EN.

Very unintuitive.

Hm, trouble figuring out how to respond.  This thing is not intuitive!
Before it changed, I could clearly see my notebooks on the left side.  I could be working in an open one, but could easily look over to the left and click on another notebook and switch.  Now I'm having trouble finding my other notebooks.  I have to look it up in search by the name of the notebook.  Crazy - I don't even remember the names of the notebooks, and I'm losing track of my work.
Does this help.
Really, is there a way I can go back?  I seriously want the old way back.

Thanks

• Level 5*

By the way, the goal for the changes are 2 fold. 1) To improve visibility of the selection and provide a little more color and 2) Provide some visual hierarchy between major buttons such as notes and notebooks and the sub-buttons underneath them. 

I like your goal.  :)

Proper use of color, along with icon design, really helps the user to quickly recognize the object.

While we're talking about the Left Side Panel, could you please restore the right-click context full menu choices that we once enjoyed.  IMO, they should be the same choices you have when the Notebook and Tags view is shown.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Before it changed, I could clearly see my notebooks on the left side.  I could be working in an open one, but could easily look over to the left and click on another notebook and switch.  Now I'm having trouble finding my other notebooks.  I have to look it up in search by the name of the notebook.

If I understand you correctly, you are looking for the list of Notebooks and Tags that used to be shown in the Left Side Panel, correct?

If so, well, they are still there, they are just initially hidden.

Right-click on "Notebooks" [or "Tags"] in the Left Side Panel, and then click on "Show Notebook [Tag] List".

@Marcus:

It seems you're team ist still busy updating and preparing a new beta.

Can you please give instructions how i can revert back to v6.0.11.

It has been almost a month ago since v6.0.13 broke my workflows with the table-copy bug.

This is urgent because v6.0.13 severely limits my use of Evernote which i really rely on!

(Installing betas is not an option for me)

Thank you very much!

Archived