Smartphone interoperability

I'm ready to upgrade my smartphone, currently a Droid Razr Maxx.  Until I get that chip implanted that  hard-wires me asynchronously to my Evernote, I'd appreciate Premium users'  (even developers') thoughts on which smartphone works best with Evernote, and of course, why.

• Level 5*

Good (and interesting) question!  I'd think bigger screens would be better than smaller - currently using a Samsung GS3 but about to upgrade myself.  Looking at a Note 4...

• Level 5*

I'm ready to upgrade my smartphone, currently a Droid Razr Maxx.  Until I get that chip implanted that  hard-wires me asynchronously to my Evernote, I'd appreciate Premium users'  (even developers') thoughts on which smartphone works best with Evernote, and of course, why.

IMO, iPhones seem to be the best supported by Evernote.  EN iOS often has more features, and is more frequently updated.  I have seen a number of Android users complain about the lack of parity with EN iOS.

I have an iPhone 6+ and love it.  I really enjoy the larger size, but some people find it "too big".  It's personal thing.  You might test out the look and feel at an Apple Retail Store.

Having said all that, I don't think I would let Evernote drive my choice of smartphone.  Whether iPhone or Android, get the phone you like best for other reasons.  I don't think there is a material difference between EN Android and EN iOS.  Both are well supported.

IMO, iPhones seem to be the best supported by Evernote.  EN iOS often has more features, and is more frequently updated.  I have seen a number of Android users complain about the lack of parity with EN iOS.

I have an iPhone 6+ and love it.  I really enjoy the larger size, but some people find it "too big".  It's personal thing.  You might test out the look and feel at an Apple Retail Store.

Having said all that, I don't think I would let Evernote drive my choice of smartphone.  Whether iPhone or Android, get the phone you like best for other reasons.  I don't think there is a material difference between EN Android and EN iOS.  Both are well supported.

Thanks for your thoughts.  The iPhone6+ is appealing, though I've been on Android forever.  As a power user (with EN for 6 years now, btw), I'm totally disappointed in my Droid's performance with this, my primary go-to app, let alone with Google Maps for navigation, and several streaming apps.  Maybe it's just the age of the thing (4 years), and all will be much better, whether it's a new Android or iOS device.  Frankly, I don't think the technological reality of even the best mobile devices comes anywhere near the expectation we users have of them.  But that's just me...and the reason for this topic posting.  Hope to hear a bunch more from other Premium users (and not necessarily just about EN either).

I used EN on a Galaxy SIII for two years and am now using a Galaxy S6.  Evernote has always been fine for me on Android, with the exception of the search that seems to be slightly unreliable.  The increased processing power of the S6 is obviously of benefit to not only EN, but everything else.  Having said that, I didn't have an issue with the speed of EN on the SIII.  The DROID Razr Maxx is getting a bit long in the tooth -  I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 with roughly similar grunt to the Razr Maxx and it struggles for processor speed now with many apps, although EN is quite workable.  Any upgrade to a mid-range or better phone is going to be a revelation for you!

I'd also agree that a bigger screen is advantageous, but this would mostly be of benefit for image and pdf-heavy notes rather than predominantly text-based where screen size doesn't matter so much.

I used EN on a Galaxy SIII for two years and am now using a Galaxy S6.  Evernote has always been fine for me on Android, with the exception of the search that seems to be slightly unreliable.  The increased processing power of the S6 is obviously of benefit to not only EN, but everything else.  Having said that, I didn't have an issue with the speed of EN on the SIII.  The DROID Razr Maxx is getting a bit long in the tooth -  I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 with roughly similar grunt to the Razr Maxx and it struggles for processor speed now with many apps, although EN is quite workable.  Any upgrade to a mid-range or better phone is going to be a revelation for you!

I'd also agree that a bigger screen is advantageous, but this would mostly be of benefit for image and pdf-heavy notes rather than predominantly text-based where screen size doesn't matter so much.

Very helpful comments, thank you.  You referred to "the increased processing power of the S6...," and that "Any upgrade...is going to be a revelation..."  I don't doubt any of this, but, all things being relative, could you expand on the processing aspect, and reference any sources (e.g. CNET) reviewing the S6, and other Android or iOS phones that make a point of the improved processing?  By the way, do you access EN on your device from the desktop (i.e. RAM), or from storage (benefiting offline use)?

• Level 5*

Evernote has always been fine for me on Android, with the exception of the search that seems to be slightly unreliable.  The increased processing power of the S6 is obviously of benefit to not only EN, but everything else.  

I have NOT used an Android, but I can say the EN Search on EN iOS (iPhone, iPad) works quite well, from both a performance and accuracy perspective.  I've never had a problem with EN Search on any of my iPhones, starting with iPhone 4S.  Currently I'm using iPhone 6+, iPad 2, and iPad mini.

Very helpful comments, thank you.  You referred to "the increased processing power of the S6...," and that "Any upgrade...is going to be a revelation..."  I don't doubt any of this, but, all things being relative, could you expand on the processing aspect, and reference any sources (e.g. CNET) reviewing the S6, and other Android or iOS phones that make a point of the improved processing?  By the way, do you access EN on your device from the desktop (i.e. RAM), or from storage (benefiting offline use)?

There are a number of reviews around for the S6 and its competitors, with some of the most authoritative (in my view) produced by Anandtech (Galaxy S6 review here).  GSMArena tests lots of new phones and are quite objective also.  Both sites use a number of benchmarks, but you can try GeekBench3 for yourself.  It's available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS so you can do cross-platform comparisons.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence.  All my notebooks are online, so when accessing EN from my phone, I am relying on my data connection and whatever caching strategy EN uses.  Here in urban Australia our mobile data is pretty reliable, with 4G available practically everywhere and I have Wifi at home and work, so there are few problems with this strategy for me.  If I've missed your point, please let me know!

There are a number of reviews around for the S6 and its competitors, with some of the most authoritative (in my view) produced by Anandtech (Galaxy S6 review here).  GSMArena tests lots of new phones and are quite objective also.  Both sites use a number of benchmarks, but you can try GeekBench3 for yourself.  It's available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS so you can do cross-platform comparisons.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence.  All my notebooks are online, so when accessing EN from my phone, I am relying on my data connection and whatever caching strategy EN uses.  Here in urban Australia our mobile data is pretty reliable, with 4G available practically everywhere and I have Wifi at home and work, so there are few problems with this strategy for me.  If I've missed your point, please let me know!

Thanks for those recommendations.  In ref. to my last sentence, I was focusing on one's ability to access notes without using the 4G, or having to connect to ambient Wi-Fi; rather, using EN offline.  If you go into device settings (in my case on Motorola Droid Razr Maxx), and locate EN under Accounts, there is an option to "Search offline: Search notes stored on your device without a network connection."  I have this option ticked, thinking that if I need to get to a note somewhere that I don't get a decent 4G signal, or if I don't want to risk my security by logging onto a public Wi-Fi network, I can do so.  However, even with this setting in place, note retrieval is unbearably slow, hence my interest in a new device.  An additional problem may be the limited amount of storage space on my SD card (EN takes up 250 MB currently while I apparently only have about 450 MB free).  Hopefully increasing storage to 16 GB on whatever new device will help.

Oh, I understood you correctly then.  As I said, this is not an issue for me.  There are few places I go in Australia on a regular basis where there is at least 3G!  I'm fairly sure having more memory will assist with accessing offline notes, but it is not a use case with which I have experience.

Archived