iOS Classic Note Link Option Please

Iain669

Idea

Hi All,

is anyone with me that this functionality would be really powerful. I have a number of apps in iOS that would share these links but I cannily create the web enabled versions and this just slows down my workflow.

Any thoughts?

• Like 3

28 replies to this idea

Hi there,

thanks for taking the time in offering thoughts. 

I suppose my main thing I am trying to overcome is having to wait to open a note via a web browser when I am using an EN link from outside EN. To explain I am a big Omnifocus (task manager) user along with EN for all reference material etc. So I often place a EN classic ink in a Task in Ominfocus to reference a Note in EN. So on the laptop all is good and even in Omnifocus on iOS the link opens the EN iOS app and shows me my note. No need to go to the Web. 

However, I can not repeat that process if I am away from my Laptop. On my iPad I have no way to pass Omnifocus a link that bypasses the need to go to the web. This is what I am trying to overcome.

Hope I have explained this well enough and I hope you can see why i am asking for the ability to create Classic Note Links via iOS.

Iain

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

AFAIK creating a 'classic' link directly to a note stored on the device would be fairly pointless on mobile devices since notes are not normally permanently stored there...

• Level 5*

Yeah, but as soon as you access the note (if it is not in an offline notebook) you will download it.  Or am I missing the point of the thread?  It's happened before.

• Level 5*

We might need to know more about what process is imagined here.  Surely a 'classic' link points directly to the disk space that a note occupies.  Which doesn't exist on a mobile device. 

If you copy a link to a note on a mobile device,  you (presumably) get one of the new links which goes to the server copy of the note,  and will download that copy to the device.  If the note has been specified as 'offline searchable',  maybe you get the local link too - I don't do that sort of linking,  and haven't checked. 

It is possible to copy note link / add shortcut to home page from an (Android) mobile,  so presumably also from iOS.  Is there a special reason that needs to be a 'classic' link?

• Like 1

+1 for lain669!

I use it the same way  with OmniFocus, and creating a classic link on Mac also opens the right note in Evernote for iOS.

- As I understodd the links they don't point to the disk space, but the unique note-ID, gazumped -

But creating a classic link on iOS itself is missing!!!

- I think it onced worked on iOS as well.

Hope it will come to the iOS-version soon!

• Like 2

I would VERY MUCH like to see a native iOS Classic Link function included in the iOS app.  It wouldn't be difficult for Evernote to include in a future release.  The coding isn't difficult to change a Web Link to a Classic Link.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I voted this up too

The link process seems complicated, but I guess EN is trying to cover internal access, external access, external public access .....

Regardless, in IOS, when you're retrieving the note link - you get two choices  - Public Link and Private Link
I'd like to see a third choice - Classic Link

@gazumped >> Surely a 'classic' link points directly to the disk space that a note occupies.  Which doesn't exist on a mobile device. 

The link seems to work ok for mobile devices.  I don't know how or why, but its connected with the data on the web server since on the desktop you have to sync before obtaining a link

• Level 5*

@DTLow - It appears I may have been mistaken back then.  Still not exactly sure how this works,  but apparently notes have a UID which the 'new' note links interpret as a web address if you don't have a local database handy,  or a link to the actual note,  if you do - and that database happens to be the account to which the note belongs,  or you have permission to view/ edit it. Basically it shouldn't matter which version of the link you get - but it must matter which app you're initiating it from,  because Evernote apps can open the correct version of the linked note,  whereas other apps tend to go for either the web address every time,  or the local file.  I agree it would be much easier if 'copy note link' gave you a sub-choice of a link to a local database or one to the web.  Seems to be the usual thing of EN trying to be 'smart' and save you a keypress - and generating reams of confused explanations like this one...  :unsure:

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Winston Chiu said:

Any plans on getting this idea to Evernote for iOS?  The web URL just doesn't cut it when I need a direct app URL to my calendar.

That's my problem too - I'm doing this quite often.
However, the request has only been up-voted 9 times (top of this list)

• Level 5*
On January 31, 2016 at 0:23 PM, DGW said:

Do you have Workflow for iOS?

Re; Getting Classic Link in IOS

A little too complicated for a simple function.  There are other work-arounds, but I usually just copy the private link.

I agree DTLow. It is too complicated. Which is why people on this thread are trying to get Evernote to include a native function for classic links. 

Just copying the private link doesn't obtain a classic link. It is a web enabled link. 

To obtain a classic link in iOS, you have to use a 'complicated' workaround. 

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, bpwhistler said:

Just copying the private link doesn't obtain a classic link. It is a web enabled link.

Yes, I realize that; if you paste outside the Evernote application you get the web link.
I just live with that in the IOS environment for now
I did up vote this request - its at 9 now

On 31. Januar 2016 at 9:23 PM, DGW said:

Do you have Workflow for iOS? There have been several Workflows that have been created to get the classic note link. I had trouble getting some of them to work, but finally was able to set up my own Create Note Link To Evernote, based in part on what others did. 

Can you please explain the details of every step? I doesn't work the ways I tried.

Okay, hope this isn't confusing but when you set it up, to find your Evernote id, you need to copy the PRIVATE link of a note, paste it somewhere and look for the pattern. My instructions in the workflow say PUBLIC; that part is wrong. But after you have put your id in the Workflow, when you run the Workflow from Evernote, select PUBLIC link not private.

• Level 5*
On April 10, 2016 at 5:57 PM, JuSchu said:

Can you please explain the details of every step? I doesn't work the ways I tried.

I don't understand the issue

I retrieve the link using the share menu

I paste the private link into a note - it pastes as a classic link
To get the classic link
- press on the link, then copy the classic link

I agree it would be easier if the first dropdown included Classic Link.

IMG_1245.jpgScreen Shot 2016-04-12 at 10.21.23 PM.png

IMG_1244.jpg

• Like 1

Obviously a workaround, but it is somewhat annoying to have to paste the note into a note, get out of the editing mode, copy the link, then go to the app where you want it. With the Workflow, you run it and the classic link is put in your clipboard.

On April 13, 2016 at 11:10 PM, DTLow said:

I don't understand the issue

I retrieve the link using the share menu

I paste the private link into a note - it pastes as a classic link
To get the classic link
- press on the link, then copy the classic link

I agree it would be easier if the first dropdown included Classic Link.

IMG_1245.jpgScreen Shot 2016-04-12 at 10.21.23 PM.png

IMG_1244.jpg

To go along with the screenshots....

This produces a 'Classic Link' for note to note linking within Evernote
Open the note you want a Classic Link to
Share the note 
Choose 'Copy Link'
Choose 'Private Link'
Paste the link in another Evernote note

This produces a 'Classic Link' for linking to an Evernote note from a 3rd party app
Open the note you want a Classic Link to
Share the note 
Choose 'Copy Link'
Choose 'Private Link'
Paste the link in any Evernote note (even the note you want the link to)
Stop editing (close the keyboard)
Hold your finger on the newly pasted link until the options appear
Choose 'copy'
Open the desired 3rd party app
Paste your Classic Link
  • Like 3

I've made another workflow based on what @DGW mentioned. This works in Offline Notebooks without Internet connection, and doesn't require any additional input of S-Codes or User IDs.

https://workflow.is/workflows/87dbe36dd5614c448c28bf34c736c326

FWIW, I've also used Workflow to attach attachments to my Evernote on my iPhone (since that feature is totally absent from iOS), so I think it's well worth understanding how to use such a powerful tool.