Feature request, just email filtering rules in EV

it would be simple as possible to code IMO.

if brody@nowhere.com writes to you en email to evernote than -> go to @brody #newmail  notebook

if sarah@example.us  writes to you en email to evernote than -> go to @sarah #personal notebook

otherwise go to @default notebook.

this features would be great in helping me to tidy up my notebooks and my email.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Hi.  If you use an email client like Outlook,  it's possible to set those rules up to send to your Evernote email address...

Yes, it is possible, but not easy to do this in Outlook.  I know, I have done this.

The main hurtle is that you have to create an OL rule that can call a script that changes the Subject on the forwarded mail to add the Evernote codes for NB and Tags.

Of course, if you don't use OL, then all bets are off.   ;)

IMO, what we really need is the ability to invoke scripts on Evernote Notes that would be run on the Evernote Cloud servers.  This makes it independent of the EN client being used.

• Level 5*

"If you use an email client like Outlook" - there are quite a few options - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_email_clients - and some of them also have "rules" or scripting capabilities like Outlook and Gmail. 

One of Evernote's core beliefs used to be "we don't mess with your data" (Phil Libin might have expressed that more conventionally at the time..) but unless that changes,  it seems unlikely scripting within Evernote to manipulate notes or their content will be a priority.  I could easily be wrong.

The OP's request was specifically for email handling too - EN's servers must be pretty busy as we speak.  Running major email traffic through them on top of routine syncs could have some adverse effects on speed and reliability.

• Level 5*

EN's servers must be pretty busy as we speak.  Running major email traffic through them on top of routine syncs could have some adverse effects on speed and reliability.

I doubt it.  Most of these rules execute very quickly, and the HW today is very fast.  In fact Evernote is already doing this to some extent.  Their web clippers apply much more difficult rules that analyze the web page contents to propose a Notebook and tags.  The email-to-account does a similar thing.

Finally, Exchange Server has been executing rules on the server for decades now with no noticeable impact on performance.

Archived