Right Click to Search Your Own Evernote

Hi everyone, I'm sort of new to Evernote. I apologize if this has already been discussed-

I create many links between notes. This and tagging are the things that make Evernote truly function like an auxiliary brain (for me). I think a way to expand on this would be to have the ability to right click on a word/phrase in a note and have the option to search for it in one's notebooks. This would actually obviate the need for many links and would be a quick way to see the connections between things. It also doesn't seem like a lot of heavy lifting codewise since the search function is already so good. What do you guys think? 

• Level 5*

Actually that's not a bad feature request,  though I think Evernote would say it's already covered.  If you go to Tools > Options > Context and make sure you selected all the options,  Evernote should automatically list any similar notes in your database for your information.  How effective that is may depend on your account level.

In the absence of such a feature (at least 2 clicks after selecting your search phrase), there is the keyboard shortcut triad:

1. Ctrl+C

2. F6 (positions the cursor in the search box)

3. Ctrl+V

I think for a more direct shortcut to be much quicker, I'd suggest a feature where one could highlight a phrase and hit a keyboard shortcut in a single action to search.

BTW, this can be achieved via PhraseExpress on Windows and a similar utility on Mac. Once you've set it up, it runs in the background and you can forget that it even exists. You just execute the keyboard shortcut while in Evernote.

• Level 5*

I'd actually forgotten about Phrase Express in this context.  Good call!  (Actually I might implement that shortcut idea to run a google search on a chosen word or phrase....)

Fantastic @Gaz!

Often I need to look up the definition of a word or double check on the correct spelling (because built-in spell checks are not all encompassing), etc... and Google is my go-to for such cases. 

I'm going to set up a PhraseExpress shortcut to run a Google search on any phrase I've selected. Nice one!

This is a 1-step thing using a PhraseExpress keyboard shortcut:

I select the phrase and then hit Alt+S...

Highlight%20and%20search.gif?dl=1

In PhraseExpress, there are a number of ways to set this up. I did it by setting up the following string:

Hit Ctrl+K to open the "Simulate a Keystroke" dialogue box.

1. Create a Ctrl+C simulation

2. Next, create an F6 key simulation

3. Finally create a Ctrl+V simulation

If you want to search an exact phrase, you can set up your keyboard shortcut (or an additional) to wrap your phrase in quotation marks... you could also include the "intitle:" operator... or any number of other goodies.

@Gazumped,

Just a heads up with PhraseExpress...

If one tries to set up a keyboard shortcut by simulating a series of keystrokes while invoking Google.com, it doesn't quite work since a new tab or window causes a slight delay, which cannot complete the process one sets up... BUT... I found that PhraseExpress has a built-in utility for this:

1. Select your phrase

2. Hit Ctrl+F8   (a list of sites will open that you can choose from. Google is at the top)

3. Hit Enter

Google%20search%20phrase%20express.gif?d

• Level 5*

BTW, this can be achieved via PhraseExpress on Windows and a similar utility on Mac. Once you've set it up, it runs in the background and you can forget that it even exists. You just execute the keyboard shortcut while in Evernote.

Great idea Frank!  I have done the same using Keyboard Maestro on the Mac.

I also setup the Google search macro, so that the search is always done using Chrome.  Otherwise, Safari will be used.

Great idea Frank!  I have done the same using Keyboard Maestro on the Mac.

I also setup the Google search macro, so that the search is always done using Chrome.  Otherwise, Safari will be used.

Thanks @JMichael... both you and @Cal gave me a push into the world of text expanders. It's a lifesaver when it comes to writing in markdown text - it speeds things up immensely. I'm more than stoked. 

Whoa you guys are awesome! I forgot about text expanders. I'm a mac user so I set something like this up with keyboard maestro also. I believe there's a way to do it with quicksilver also but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. But this is a fantastic workaround for the moment. Thank you all

Archived