Updateing from 5.8.5.7193 to 5.8.8

Nickh01

Hello

My system tells me that i need to upgrade to 5.8.8. After multiple attempts I get a recurring error message when trying to uninstall the previous version that it cant find evernote.msi on the CD/DVD drive. Not having ever installed via this route and now having no option to either update or uninstall and start again, am slightly confused as to how I can either stay with the current product you provide without the constant update messages or as to how I can uninstall so I can migrate to a competitors product if this cant be solved. I look forward to hearing from you.

• Level 5*

Hello

My system tells me that i need to upgrade to 5.8.8. After multiple attempts I get a recurring error message when trying to uninstall the previous version that it cant find evernote.msi on the CD/DVD drive. 

If EN Win 5.8.5 is still working for you, then I'd suggest that you NOT update for a while.

If it is not working, post back here, and we'll try to help.  You might also want to submit a bug report (see below).

I believe that EN Win is telling you that a new version is "available", not that you "need" to update.

IME, it is best to wait for at least a week after the release before updating, checking this forum for user reports of problems and/or bugs before you update.  

Usually Evernote will post a new thread here announcing the update, and you can see responses from users who have tried the update.  However, I have not seen, nor can I find, the announcement for EN Win 5.8.8.  The last announcement for a production (GA) version is for  EN Win 5.8.6 Update.

Unfortunately, Evernote does NOT do the proper internal testing of their updated before releasing them.  So, very often, we see new problems and bugs with an update.

If you wish, you can

submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to have this with every single update.

My theory: You install Evernote and it stores the evernote.msi somewhere, which you will need at any point you want to uninstall/upgrade. It puts it in your temp folder so if you ever, quite rationally do a cleanup, it's gone.

You get a notification that there's a new version and you click the ok to proceed.  The updater downloads the new msi, which is also called evernote.msi, and puts it in the same place as the old evernote.msi, overwriting it if it still existed, and therefore not even making it available in the recycle bin.

The installer then goes to uninstall the old version using evernote.msi, but it's a different version of the msi and cannot proceed.  You quit, reopen Evernote, find the exact version you have, enter that in google and hope you can find an evernote.msi for that exact version. If you succeed, you are lucky. Otherwise you find some sort of cleanup utility to remove all traces of Evernote from your system, then download the new version and install.

You make a note that next time you're going to make a copy of this particular evernote.msi for next time this happens, but you don't.

.... you eventually find that filehippo keeps older versions http://filehippo.com/download_evernote/60652/

Now to see if that will let me do anything.

FYI - downloading the version I already had, plus the new one, and installing them one after the other seems to have worked. 

Reinstalling the old version basically repairs the MSI internal database and allows it to be cleanly uninstalled. Odds are high something deleted the cached version from <windows>\Installer. Do not ever delete files from that folder if you ever want to uninstall/upgrade that program.

The copy left in TEMP can be safely deleted.

BTW: When the autoinstaller upgrades, we do download a copy of the installer exe into %LOCALAPPDATA%\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate. You may be able to find the old version there.

Archived