True safety of documents u der the care of evernote

Hi there,

I like to question the true safety of all our documents placed in Evernote.

Since for the life of me cannot get a hold of anyone even answering to my request for help after loosing literally all my important documents after an update, i would lek to start a new forum and want to expose a potential liability in putting all our financial, personal and private information in Evernotes care. How is it possible for documents to get lost so quickly and no one to answer for it?

Your reply is appreciated.

This is a user forum where regular users such as myself help each other out. Staff periodically read these posts, but this is not an effective way to contact Evernote staff. 

Have you contact support? Likely there's little they can do to recover your documents, but they should at least know it occurred and maybe your reports could help them figure out if there was an error on their end that needs fixing. You can submit a support ticket using the link in my signature. 

The reality is that putting your important information anywhere without a robust backup system is unwise. Even the best systems can fail, and while Evernote is good, it isn't the best system either. There is always the potential for downtime with online services and for data corruption. Syncing services  (as distinct, but related to, cloud services) also carry some risk (fairly small, sure) of data loss due to sync errors. 

If you have a good backup system, these errors aren't the end of the world, but they may be a pain.

I keep backups of mission critical stuff. I also do not use Evernote for my professional work. While I've never encountered an issue with data loss, I've seen others, and I don't want to chance it even with my very robust backup strategy (also, I can't legally keep my professional work on third-party servers, so that also precludes using Evernote).

Maybe while you wait for Evernote support to get back to you you can describe to us what led up to the data loss so we can maybe offer you some assistance? 

• Level 5

How is it possible for documents to get lost so quickly and no one to answer for it?

Your reply is appreciated.

As been stated many times in this forum: Back up your data frequently!

• Level 5*

Hi there,

I like to question the true safety of all our documents placed in Evernote.

Since for the life of me cannot get a hold of anyone even answering to my request for help after loosing literally all my important documents after an update . . .

While it is possible, it is unlikely that an Evernote update has caused the loss of all of your sync'd Notes.

I have seen reports of users not being able to see their Notes after an update, but all of the Notes were still in the Evernote Cloud.

You might try viewing your Notes using the EN Web client at Evernote.com.

If you can see your Notes using EN Web, then you might try reinstalling the Evernote client on your machine.

If you want more help, you will need to provide us with the versions of Evernote and OS that you are using.

Archived