(Archived) SLOWNESS

I installed EverNote3 on my PC upstairs and imported a couple insignificant databases to it. It sync'd fine with the server. I have 171 notes in there total, though a fair number of them include graphics.

Now, I've installed EverNote3 on my downstairs PC and am accessing it for the first time. The initial sync with the server is EXTREMELY (read: TOO) slow. It's been running for about 10 minutes and is only 11% done.

EverNote should explore some (encrypted) compression for server syncs to speed things up. This is so slow that people won't use it, and this doesn't even represent all my ENbases!!!

UPDATE: Just finished the initial download from the PC client. The log reports that it took 30m 11s... FAR too long for only 171 notes!!!

I installed EverNote3 on my PC upstairs and imported a couple insignificant databases to it. It sync'd fine with the server. I have 171 notes in there total, though a fair number of them include graphics.

Now, I've installed EverNote3 on my downstairs PC and am accessing it for the first time. The initial sync with the server is EXTREMELY (read: TOO) slow. It's been running for about 10 minutes and is only 11% done.

EverNote should explore some (encrypted) compression for server syncs to speed things up. This is so slow that people won't use it, and this doesn't even represent all my ENbases!!!

UPDATE: Just finished the initial download from the PC client. The log reports that it took 30m 11s... FAR too long for only 171 notes!!!

Hey, come on, this is the very first Beta code (and I mean the web service and the synchronization code, too, not just the desktop client code). I think the EN Development team is putting out the code now so they can get some user reaction and see where they need to concentrate their efforts. I agree, synchronization is tremendously slow so far. My 160 note EN 3.0 Beta notebook, imported from an EN 2.2 database, takes nearly an hour to synchronize (upload). I agree, that is really slow. But it is only a one-time issue. The more interesting test to me will be to see how long it takes my Windows Mobile SmartPhone to cross-synchronize half-a-dozen notes from the web service, once the WM device already has a copy of the notebook fully loaded.

So far in my Beta testing I see synchroniztion reliability and speed as being the biggest issues, plus (of course) the need for vastly larger databases. (Can you say, 10,000+ notes in 500+ MB? I knew you could.) :( But the day is yet young, so I am not getting my shorts in a wad.

Archived