Feature Request: Sticky Notebooks

bpcookson

Feature Request:

Create a setting or preference for "sticky notebooks" such that Evernote does not forget my selected notebook when I change my tag selection.

Reasoning:

I think of Notebooks as containers. This is how we segregate entire groups of notes. And then Tags are identifiers. I use them to filter what I'm looking at and switch between various tag configurations frequently.

When I use EN, I typically work in only one notebook at a time and jump across numerous tags to organize my work and get things done. Selecting a Notebook in EN5 no longer sticks, such that every time I change tags I need to reselect my Notebook "container" over and over. I have set up some shortcuts for my most frequently used tag combinations, but this only gets me halfway there at best. I just want EN to remember which Notebook I'm working in when I change my tag selections.

It is currently very frustrating and time consuming to have to constantly ctrl+click the same notebook again and again and again. Seems odd to me that "identifiers" are given the exact same functionality as "containers" when they are clearly different things. For example, you cannot create a new note that lives only in a tag; it MUST live in a notebook and a tag is a secondary attribute that may be associated.

• Level 5*

Feature Request:

Create a setting or preference for "sticky notebooks" such that Evernote does not forget my selected notebook when I change my tag selection.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, this feature already exists.

If you have selected a Notebook, you can then search on only those Notes in that NB, using Tags or other search criteria.

Just make sure in the Search Box it says "Search Current Context".

This can be set/changed by clicking on the Search magnifying glass icon.

Try using the "Jump to Tags" window using SHIFT-ALT-T

Feature Request:

Unless I am misunderstanding you, this feature already exists.

If you have selected a Notebook, you can then search on only those Notes in that NB, using Tags or other search criteria.

Just make sure in the Search Box it says "Search Current Context".

This can be set/changed by clicking on the Search magnifying glass icon.

Try using the "Jump to Tags" window using SHIFT-ALT-T

I've already set "Search Current Context" in the search box, but that's really only useful when you know exactly what you're looking for. The same goes for the "Jump to Tags" function. You really need to have a specific thing in mind before that becomes a useful workflow.

When you're reviewing multiple tags, jumping back and forth, or generally just browsing through different sets of notes, the left explorer bar is the only visual representation you have that offers a complete model. Clicking a new tag here will actively deselect the notebook you were working in. So between each desired data set (a given list of notes I'm reviewing), I have to click my notebook (now I see ALL notes, conceptually disruptive), and then CTRL click the desired tag(s).

I just want an easy (i.e. fast) way to browse multiple different tags or tag sets within a single notebook. The current model seems to assume that you set your notebook and tags and then don't really have to change them; or, if you do need to change them, it is only to further narrow your search.

For the record, I have already set up a number of saved searches for my most common tag sets. This is useful, but limited: you can only have so many saved searches before they become cumbersome.

• Level 5*

I've already set "Search Current Context" in the search box, but that's really only useful when you know exactly what you're looking for. The same goes for the "Jump to Tags" function. You really need to have a specific thing in mind before that becomes a useful workflow.

This may not work exactly how you would like it to, but, IMO, it works reasonably well.

IAC, it is the best available until/IF Evernote makes the specific changes you would like.

Here is what I do to maintain search context, and apply tag filter to my selected Notebook:

1. Select a Notebook filter, either by clicking on a NB in the Left Panel, or via the "Jump to Notebook" menu/shortcut
  2. Add one or more tag filters
    1. Click the Tag Filter icon, or "Jump to Tags" menu/shortcut
    2. This shows a dropdown list of tags that exist in Notes in the selected (from #1) Notebook
    3. You can scroll to view all tags
    4. You can start typing a tag name, and it further filters the tag list to tags that start with what you have typed.
    5. After you find/select one tag, hit ENTER, and you can add more tags to the tag filter.

The ONLY limitation this has from using the tag list in the Left Panel, is that the dropdown list of tags (in #2.2) is shorter.

But, this is more than made for, IMO, by the fact that the tag dropdown is showing ONLY tags used in the selected Notebook.

You might give this a try to see if it will work for you.

Archived