Can you update a Xcel doc from a shared Notebook?

My wife and I want to have the ability to edit and share one Excel doc (from a share Notebook) and then upload it to EN.  Then all users with access to the shared notebook can see the new Excel doc version. Is this possible?

For example,

I share my notebook containing the "Budget" Excel doc.  Wife opens notebook, downloads the Excel doc, edits the doc and then upload the new version into my shared notebook. I open my shared notebook and download the new version of the Excel "Budget" doc and can see my wife's edits.

That is possible. You cannot edit it simultaneously, but all users who have View and Edit privileges will be able to view and edit the excel spreadsheet, and these changes will be visible to all other users who have access to that shared note/notebook. 

That is possible. You cannot edit it simultaneously, but all users who have View and Edit privileges will be able to view and edit the excel spreadsheet, and these changes will be visible to all other users who have access to that shared note/notebook. 

So after you make the changes, upload the version that is on my pc and delete the one that is in EN?

not exactly. I assume that you have the Excel file attached to a note. The procedure for editing that excel file would be:

1) Open the note with the Excel attachment.

2) Double click on the attachment, which will open the file in excel

3) Make your changes and hit save, which will save the changes directly to Evernote, and these changes are subsequently uploaded and synced across all of the shared users' devices.

4) Close the excel file. 

There is no need to save the file to a separate location, and re-upload it. Simply open the excel file from within the note you've attached it to. 

Ah, you hadn't mentioned you were using the web interface. 

Yes, if you are using the web interface you'll have to do it the way you described.

If you are on a windows or mac machine and you have permission to install applications, I'd strongly encourage you to install the Evernote application on it and perform your tasks from there because it is a lot less clumsy and you'll reduce the possibility of making an error that results in data loss. 

Archived