Unable to Install Update or Uninstall current Evernote

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I have been trying to install the Update 5.8.4.6870 on my Windows 7 Home Premium computer. I receive the following error messages:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable

The file "C:\Users\stephen\AppData\Local\Temp' is not a valid installation package for the product Evernote v 5.8.1. Try to find the installation package Evernote.msi in a folder from which you can install Evernote v. 5.8.1.

The older version of Evernote v 5.8.4 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

(.\Bootstrapper.cpp:915) Ox643:fatal error during installation.

I backed up my existing data files to another folder, then tried to uninstall my current Evernote. When I clicked Uninstall, the exact same error messages came up.

My current version of Evernote is 5.8.3.6507

Has anyone out there had the same problem? Does anyone know a fix? Oh help, please, help!

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  Something clearly has gone wrong with the install (or uninstall) in this process.

User Nicolas Dorier posted this for a similar sounding error - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36401-windows-error-code-2732-workarounds/

For everybody having the following problem:

Error (2732) as installing 4.6.4.
Or .\Boostrapper.cpp:886 0x643 Fatal error during installation.

Here is the Ultimate Fix

-Go to 'C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi' and execute it

Here are other things I tried, but I'm not sure about the results.

Here is alternate fix, I reversed the Evernote msi, seen the logs and fixed what's going on.

Fix 1 (Try ultimate Fix above first)

-Go to folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote
-Execute the following command line in admin mode : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll
-Reinstall

Fix 2 (Try ultimate Fix above first)

-Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate
-Execute the last version. (it will probably fail again)
-Rexecute the following command line in admin mode, just to be sure : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll
-Install only for this user C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this error too not only in evernote but also on skype.. I believe it is something to do with my restoration from windows 10 back to windows 7..
I'm pretty sure there are more other software on my system is going to get the same error once an update is ready..  I hate this..

• Level 5*

It's an issue that arises when there's a problem with an install or uninstall,  and can be due to a missing or corrupted file (or files),  folder permissions,  or (in WIndows) registry entries.  It also applied to different OS's and different versions of OS's - so not a single issue,  though I'm sure Evernote can and will build in safeguards as and when they identify individual causes.  Meantime Revo will work on any software,  so it's worth a try if you're having problems with something else - though always,  always,  always back up any data that you don't want to risk losing first...

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

In my case, for some reason, the automatic update substituted the new evernote.msi file (version 6.0.6) on AppData/Local/Temp/ for the older version (5.8.13) that is needed for the uninstall. I tried the solutions in this thread, to no avail. Then I downloaded the older installer again (link here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/86114-new-evernote-for-windows-5813-ga-update/)  executed it, then uninstalled via Control Panel. Then I executed the new installer and, voilà, everything is running ok.

If you're running 5.8.13, this can solve your update problem.

Hope it helps.

• 2 months later...

I do not have the .msi file - nor will Revo work (I have Uninstaller Pro).  Revo wants the .msi file.

The above preferred trick does not work - no .msi file.  

How do you execute a command line in admin while in a folder?

Thanks, Casey

• Level 5*
On 8/15/2016 at 7:19 PM, scharven said:

I do not have the .msi file - nor will Revo work (I have Uninstaller Pro).  Revo wants the .msi file.

The above preferred trick does not work - no .msi file.  

How do you execute a command line in admin while in a folder?

Thanks, Casey

If you right-click on it in File Explorer, does the menu have a "Run as Administrator..." on it?

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, danpianoman7@gmail.com said:

Hi - I am unable to find a needed file. The app was not working so I deleted it and downloaded again. When I did, the file disappeared. I am unable to find "trash" on my iPhone. 

Can you please me to restore it?

Thank you!

Dan

This is a Windows forum - was the missing note on a PC or your phone?  In any case, I would log into EN on the web and look for the note (I'm assuming that's what you meant by file) to see if it is there.  If the note was a new note on your phone but had not synced before you deleted the app, the note is not recoverable.  If it was an existing note you were editing you can use the premium feature of note history to retrieve the most recent version of the note. 

Deleting the app from the phone will not delete an existing note.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, danpianoman7@gmail.com said:

Hi - I am unable to find a needed file. The app was not working so I deleted it and downloaded again. When I did, the file disappeared. I am unable to find "trash" on my iPhone. 

Can you please me to restore it?

By "file" do you mean note - I'd go to the web platform (www.evernote.com) for direct access to your notes.

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5*

Hi.  When having poblems with an update,  the usual fix is to uninstall,  restart and reinstall with the new version.  Google says your error translates as 'hang on' - does the system look like it's busy doing something?

Neither of the above methods worked for me.

The real cause was that I moved the TEMP folder to a RAM drive. Evernote seemed to "remember" the old TEMP folder, and I could not update, reinstall or install Evernote until I moved back the TEMP folder to its default location

• 10 months later...

This may be old, but still quite valid. In my case I hadn't used my Win10 tablet for a number of months, prompting windows updates and for space reasons an automated cleanup of the temp dir, which deleted the previous evernote.msi file. Upgrading wouldn't work, uninstalling wouldn't either.

For this situation I've found another workaround: find the installer for the exact version you have (help -> about) here on the forums (fortunately they're still downloadable, google gives better results, using a query like site:discussion.evernote.com 6.11.2 download), and run that installer again. The correct msi should now be present, after which you can uninstall it, and then install the latest version. I haven't tried immediately upgrading, but I assume that will work too now.

Note to the Evernote team: Win10 has a 'device performance & health' feature that by default is set to clean out the temp dir whenever windows requires it (more often if the user specifies so, for example weekly or monthly).

It would be helpful if the installer detects which previous version of evernote is present (which may be older than the second to last release), then downloads that specific msi to the temp dir. After that, both repairs, uninstalls and upgrades should work as intended again.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
On 5/26/2015 at 5:01 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Something clearly has gone wrong with the install (or uninstall) in this process.

User Nicolas Dorier posted this for a similar sounding error - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36401-windows-error-code-2732-workarounds/

For everybody having the following problem:

Error (2732) as installing 4.6.4.
Or .\Boostrapper.cpp:886 0x643 Fatal error during installation.

Here is the Ultimate Fix

-Go to 'C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi' and execute it

Here are other things I tried, but I'm not sure about the results.

Here is alternate fix, I reversed the Evernote msi, seen the logs and fixed what's going on.

Fix 1 (Try ultimate Fix above first)

-Go to folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote
-Execute the following command line in admin mode : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll
-Reinstall

Fix 2 (Try ultimate Fix above first)

-Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate
-Execute the last version. (it will probably fail again)
-Rexecute the following command line in admin mode, just to be sure : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll
-Install only for this user C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi

Thanks. Executing the file from Temp folder worked for me

• Like 1