(Archived) Why is AUTO CATEGORIES *unselected* on import?

Why is AUTO CATEGORIES unselected on import in the PC client? Seems like it should be selected by default (or that my settings should be remembered between sessions).

This is not clear to me, either. I always manually check the "Auto Categories" check-box when I import EN 2.2 databases into EN 3.0 Beta notebooks.

We do not encourage importing autocategories from EN2 bases, because we will soon have the 'search by attributes' feature which will mostly do what old good seed autocategories did in EN2 (i.e. searching by specific clip source, or by date, by to-do state, etc.).

We do not encourage importing autocategories from EN2 bases, because we will soon have the 'search by attributes' feature which will mostly do what old good seed autocategories did in EN2 (i.e. searching by specific clip source, or by date, by to-do state, etc.).

I do note that the search capabilities are vastly expanded in EN 3.0 Beta versus EN 2.2, with the ability to look for or exclude tags in addition to looking for textual patterns. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I hope that the switch to 'search by attributes' in EN3 to the 'seed autocategories' method used in EN2 does not disable the ability to assign a tag/category to a specific (or multiple) search string(s). I use this feature all of the time to make custom tags in the text (e.g. J:: for a journal entry) - saves me a lot of clicking and dragging.

Archived