Adobe Reader DC

jmf

Can I edit PDF files in Evernote using Adobe Reader DC? I can open Evernote PDF files in Reader DC, but when I make a change like rotate it is not automatically saved to Evernote like many other PDF readers that I use. Please advise, thank you.

jmf

• Level 5*

I think not.  Adobe Acrobat Reader is just that, a "reader", and does not provide for saving any changes.

This is not really an Evernote issue.  I use Acrobat Pro and make and save changes back to Evernote all the time.

• 10 months later...

Not true that you cannot save Adobe reader files into Evernote, it just takes a bit of set-up.

Here is at least one way to do it, there may be others. Essentially Adobe Reader opens a read-only copy of the pdf file, but you can make changes to it and save those changes. The key to making this work is to simply replace your original pdf with the one that is edited in Adobe, each time you open, edit an save it. 

This works for EN desktop, not sure if it would work if you only use online edition.

1 - Save pdf to Evernote

2 - Make sure adobe reader is set to be the default pdf reader/editor (use "Set Default Programs" in Windows settings, no idea for Mac)

3 - click on pdf in Evernote, it will open the pdf in Adobe.

4 - to test make a change like highlighting the title, so that you will see it in EN, which shows the first page of pdf attached to the note

5- Click save in Adobe, and a "Save As' box will open. It should be pointed to your Evernote attachments file (C:\...\Evernote\Databases\Attachments) 

6 - Sort the attachments file by last modified, and if you just placed the pdf into EN, it should be at the top

7 - Highlight the pdf file you just opened in the Save As box, and then click save (sometimes downloaded pdfs will have a cryptic name. )

If you now go back to EN, you will see that your changes show up in the pdf contained in the note.

Archived