Can't open backuped file or edit it

I have premium, and have not done a personal local backup of any of my files. Just to Try, I exported three files as html, then tried to open them. The notes opened but without being able to edit, the link was not able to be viewed at all. I do not want to save the files as evernote files, but want to be able to pass them to another person who does not have evernote and uses onedrive (yuck!).

What's the solution?

Any assistance will be very appreciated! Thanks!

• Level 5*

@aileronguy:

You said:

the link was not able to be viewed at all.

What link are you referring to?

What app did yo use to open the exported HTML files?

HTML files are just text files, so you can open them in any text editor, like TextEdit (you may have to set TE Preferences to open HTML as code).

Had three files in there, one a full web page. Everything was exported as an html, including the web page. Safari couldn't open it, nor could Chrome. 

And as I said, I do want to be able to send the files as editable (and separate from evernote) to another person and to use as backup. Are there options/techniques I don't know about?

• Level 5*

Well, I'm not sure what happened when you did the export.

What versions of EN Mac and Mac OS are you running?

I just did a export to HTML test using EN Mac 6.0.11 running Mavericks (10.9.5), that contained one PDF file and one image.

It worked fine -- just as expected.

The folder it exported to (by default "My Notes"), contained the following:

• NoteTitle.html      (where "NoteTitle" is the Title of the Note in Evernote)
  • A folder named "NoteTitle.resources"
    • Inside this folder were the PDF and image files

In the Finder, I opened the "My Notes" folder, and double-clicked on NoteTitle.html

This opened the Note as a HTML page in Safari, with a link to the PDF file

I clicked on the PDF file link, and it opened.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Your 2 options for export are .enex which is Evernote's own version of XML or HTML. Being premium doesn't add any further options.

Evernote really isn't well set up to send notes for editing to people who don't use Evernote.

• 4 weeks later...

@aileronguy: I was exactly in the same position a few years ago. With thousands of notes and +50 notebooks (local and synchronized), being able to export/backup all my data in an open and shareable format (HTML) is clearly a major concern. I couldn't find any good solution to do it, so I finally decided to create my own App. My suggestion is obviously a little bit biased, but I though you may want to give it a try: http://www.exportevernote.com/.

• Level 5*

With thousands of notes and +50 notebooks (local and synchronized), being able to export/backup all my data in an open and shareable format (HTML) is clearly a major concern. I couldn't find any good solution to do it, so I finally decided to create my own App. My suggestion is obviously a little bit biased, but I though you may want to give it a try: http://www.exportevernote.com. 

What value does your tool add over the built-in tool Evernote has to export to HTML?

The main advantage of ExportEvernote over the built-in tool is that it keeps your notes organized: each stack, notebook, and note is saved into its own folder, like in Evernote. The built-in tool exports all the notes in a single folder. Another advantage is that each note is exported using a nice CSS template, making them more appealing and easier to read. Other features are also coming soon, including the export to PDF, and the support of links and tags.

Archived