Evernote won't open after update

Ayoeyuki

Idea

Hi all

So for the last four updates for Evernote I've had this problem: I update evernote and the icon immediately turns from the cute elefant logo to a grey metallic icon with some tools on it. I click it and it won't open cause it's been "damaged". Until now I've just fixed it by deleting the program and reinstalling it from the Evernote website, but I'm starting to feel like it really shouldn't be that complicated to update Evernote. Has anyone else had the same problem and did you find a way to fix it?

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*

@Ayoeyuki:

This is a known issue, particularly with the EN Mac AppStore version.  I have rarely, if ever, seen it reported for the DirectDL version (from Evernote.com).

So, I would suggest:
  1. If you are using the AppStore version, switch to the DirectDL ver.
  2. Submit a bug report, so Evernote will have the details of your setup, and add more pressure for Evernote to fix the bug.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

I can't say for sure that this will fix your issue, but the AppStore version has had problems in the past that the DirectDL version did not.

How to Switch from Mac App Store Version to Direct Download Version

According to Jackolicious (EN VP of Desktop Products), you can easily switch to the DirectDL version:

• "We actually built a conversion [between AppStore and DirectDL] function into recent versions of Evernote."
  • If you have any Local Notebooks, export each NB to ENEX just in case.
  • Exit the Mac Evernote.app, and the EvernoteHelper in the Mac menu
  • Move the Evernote.app to the Mac Trash, and permanently delete (important for Spotlight indexing)
  • Restart your Mac
  • Download EN Mac from Evernote.com
  • Install Evernote and run for at least a few hours.

Archived