Evernote + Universal Type Client font conflicts

Sami J

Idea

I've been an Evernote user for over 4 years now and never experienced crashes until I installed it on my iMac at work. I'm running Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) and I can get it to open and sync (some notes), but as soon as I click on a note, it immediately crashes. I've completely un-installed (according to these directions) and re-installed it both from the App Store and as a direct download several times and nothing has fixed it. However, during my most recent re-install, I'm now getting an error that reads:

Missing required fonts

The following fonts are required for Evernote to function properly. Please add or enable these fonts, or the app may crash.

Helvetica Neue Bold, Helvetica Neue Light, Helvetica Neue Medium

This is the only clue I've gotten as to why it might be crashing. The tricky thing is - I work in a Creative department and we use Universal Type Client to manage our fonts, so I can't install the Helvetica family locally. 

Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and (hopefully!) a resolution. Otherwise, I'll have to continue using Alternote.

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

@Gaz:  I very much doubt that updating to Ver 6.0.12 will fix the problem.  The fonts noted as missing are Mac OS provided fonts, and evidently Evernote expects them to be there.

@Sami J:

Sorry, I don't have any experience with "Universal Type", but I doubt that you will be able to use EN Mac without the missing fonts.

My best advice is to request that these fonts be added to those provided by Universal Type.

If you are a Premium or Business account owner, you can also request help directly from Evernote Support, either by EN Chat or Online Ticket.

See Evernote Chat Support., available business days 7am-7pm US CST. 

(Chat option appears AFTER you click “Continue” on initial “Evernote Support” page.)

See Submit an EN Support Ticket

I've been an Evernote user for over 4 years now and never experienced crashes until I installed it on my iMac at work. I'm running Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) and I can get it to open and sync (some notes), but as soon as I click on a note, it immediately crashes. I've completely un-installed (according to these directions) and re-installed it both from the App Store and as a direct download several times and nothing has fixed it. However, during my most recent re-install, I'm now getting an error that reads:

Missing required fonts

The following fonts are required for Evernote to function properly. Please add or enable these fonts, or the app may crash.

Helvetica Neue Bold, Helvetica Neue Light, Helvetica Neue Medium

This is the only clue I've gotten as to why it might be crashing. The tricky thing is - I work in a Creative department and we use Universal Type Client to manage our fonts, so I can't install the Helvetica family locally. 

Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and (hopefully!) a resolution. Otherwise, I'll have to continue using Alternote.

@gazumped - yes I tried using AppDelete, AppZapper, and manually un-installing as described in my original post. None of these worked. I've also upgraded to the latest version, and that also did not work.

@JMichael - Universal Type Client is a font management system typically used by creative teams and agencies to manage fonts across a network. Essentially, it ensures we've all got the same fonts installed so when files are passed around to different team members, we don't have to worry about installing fonts locally, because they are installed on the network. The Helvetica family is installed and active in our Universal Type Client, but it seems that Evernote does not recognize it.

Or there could be a totally different issue that I'm unaware of that keeps making my Evernote crash! Sigh.

• Level 5*

@Sami J:

Looks like you have covered most, if not all, of the possible fixes.
I'd suggest that you submit a bug report at this time.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".
  • Level 5*
Sadly,  while bug reporting is already available to all users, it's not a fix.  

IMPORTANT FOR BASIC USERS: Going forward, we are focusing on self-support for free users. In the future, this is what support free users should be able to expect: 

• Continually improving Community, guide, and self-help (knowledge base) resources
  • Support from our agents for login/account access issues
  • Support from our agents for payment issues
  • Ability to report bugs to our developers (although we will only reply if more information is needed to identify the bug)

It may help to upgrade to premium for a month or so to secure active help...
  • Level 5*

Sadly,  while bug reporting is already available to all users, it's not a fix.  

Gaz:  Your statement is not completely accurate.

A bug report may not be an immediate fix, but it may result in one when the developers receive it.

If no one reports a bug, it may never get fixed.

IMO, the more people that report a bug the more likely it is to be fix, sooner rather than later.

So, I encourage everyone who suffers from a bug, to report it.

• Level 5*

The Helvetica family is installed and active in our Universal Type Client, but it seems that Evernote does not recognize it.

Or there could be a totally different issue that I'm unaware of that keeps making my Evernote crash! Sigh.

Sami, I had another idea:

If you can get one of your colleagues who also uses UT to help you, maybe they could install Evernote just to test for your font issue.

If Evernote works for them, but not you, then that narrows it down to something on your Mac.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for all the help! I had a co-worker (who also uses Universal Type Client) install the latest Evernote and it worked perfectly fine for him, so I'm forced to conclude it's an error with my computer or possibly account. I have A LOT of notes so I wonder if trying to sync them all is the real issue.

• Level 5*

so I'm forced to conclude it's an error with my computer or possibly account. I have A LOT of notes so I wonder if trying to sync them all is the real issue.

Some things you might try:

1. Ask a techie (like from your IT dept) to take a look at your UT install/setup.
  2. See if you can properly view all of your Notes on another machine (Mac or PC).
  3. See if you can view all of your Notes using the EN Web client at Evernote.com
  4. If all else fails, then you could try a clean reinstall:

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

Archived