Mandarin Chinese pinyin

todd5433

Idea

I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to add pinyin conversions for mandarin characters easily inside of Evernote either as you are taking notes or after the fact. I'm a Chinese learner and would really like to find an easy way to do this. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated if there are any other users who regularly use mandarin and English side by side. Thanks

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to add pinyin conversions for mandarin characters easily inside of Evernote either as you are taking notes or after the fact. I'm a Chinese learner and would really like to find an easy way to do this. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated if there are any other users who regularly use mandarin and English side by side. Thanks

Hi. What are pinyin conversions? If you mean typing in pinyin and having the characters appear (馬 / 马), it ought to work the same as it does in other programs. If you mean inserting the accent marks, there are ways to do that with the keyboard, just as you would elsewhere (mǎ). Could you be more specific with your problem and what you are trying to achieve? 

To clarify, I take lots of notes in traditional characters. Most of the time I know what I'm writing, but what I would like to fine a solution for is the characters and phrases I don't know, to be able to add a pinyin pronunciation i.e. Highlight and right click, convert to pinyin, something like apple pages provides. I want both, the characters and the pinyin. If there was a way to integrate a dictionary, that would be great also. As you are taking notes inline, there just isn't enough time to switch back and forth between programs cutting and pasting. Does that make more sense?

It took me a little while, but I found a solution that works for now. It's not optimum, but until evernote builds in a solution or a plugin....

Apple Pages has a great built in feature that will add the pinyin pronunciation guide to chinese characters. After you type the characters, you can right click on them and add the pronunciation. So I'll just copy my existing notes that I want to pages, then import my Pages documents into Evernote. Not ideal, but....

Archived