(Archived) How to determine/set LOCAL ONLY ENbases?

I was told that there would be an option (per note and per ENbase) to mark notes/ENbases as LOCAL ONLY (no sync).

How do I determine that setting in the PC client? Or is that in a future build?

I am not going to import my "main" ENbase until I can mark it LOCAL ONLY (and until EverNote3 can import more than 500 records without hard-crashing), and that will limit my testing a bit.

I was told that there would be an option (per note and per ENbase) to mark notes/ENbases as LOCAL ONLY (no sync).

How do I determine that setting in the PC client? Or is that in a future build?

I am not going to import my "main" ENbase until I can mark it LOCAL ONLY (and until EverNote3 can import more than 500 records without hard-crashing), and that will limit my testing a bit.

I am in the same boat. So far I am only bringing very innocuous stuff over into EN 3.0 Beta, as right now if someone has the URL they can see my database. I currently consider the EN 3.0 Beta web service to be wide open to people and search engine web crawlers. (I might be wrong, I'm assuming the worst.)

There will be a notion of 'Local Notebook' (i.e. which stays forever on the client it was created). Currently, Windows client doesn't support that (while Mac client does), and will jhave this feature implemented a bit later.

There will be a notion of 'Local Notebook' (i.e. which stays forever on the client it was created). Currently, Windows client doesn't support that (while Mac client does), and will jhave this feature implemented a bit later.

In that case we are going to need local backups.

Similarly, if we have an EN 3.0 notebook with content that violates EN's Terms of Service (and I do have such), we can't put it onto the EN 3 web server, so there is no backup on the web. Accordingly, for localized (or NDA issues) EN 3 notebooks, we are going to need local backup and restore of notebooks (please).

So far I am only bringing very innocuous stuff over into EN 3.0 Beta, as right now if someone has the URL they can see my database. I currently consider the EN 3.0 Beta web service to be wide open to people and search engine web crawlers. (I might be wrong, I'm assuming the worst.)

Well, we do keep your private notes private - you have to be logged in to see them. Also, private notes are not crawled by search engines. All your notes are considered private unless you explicitly published the notebook they are in (see Web client's notebook settings). Note that if you make a notebook public, and some search engine crawls it, and then you make it private, it will take a while for that to disappear from the search engines.

I think you're missing the point here dstav:

1. I've signed an NDA before that wouldn't even let me leave my laptop in my trunk, unless it was cable locked to the car. Do you really think that company would let me keep any information in a program that is going to put it in the cloud, regardless of how safe you say it is?

2. I've got over 7000 notes in my main database; I have no desire to push the majority of my information up to the cloud. It doesn't need to be synced to other machines or my phone. It just needs to be accessible to me.

I too was reassured that we'd have a way to keep some notebooks local only. I agree that we can do our own backup solution (I've always done this ever since the EN backup left me weeping more than once.) But we ***need*** the ability to keep stuff separate from the cloud.

Although iafanasyev's message said that the Windows client doesn't support that, I find the message ambiguous. Will Windows support the local notebook, or will just the Mac version support this?

In that case we are going to need local backups.

We decided not to invent the bicycle here: you can freely backup/restore your local storage file (.exb) using any software and other means you want.

So now I only have a unicycle with a broken axle and a flat tire, as EN 2.2 used to politely make local-only copies of my database on my local hard drive for me, but now you want me to do that manually for EN 3? :evil:

I use EverNote for NDA-restricted materials. There is no way I dare put a copy up on EverNote's EN 3 web server. (This only pertains to a few of my many EN databases.)

I too was reassured that we'd have a way to keep some notebooks local only. I agree that we can do our own backup solution (I've always done this ever since the EN backup left me weeping more than once.) But we ***need*** the ability to keep stuff separate from the cloud.

Although iafanasyev's message said that the Windows client doesn't support that, I find the message ambiguous. Will Windows support the local notebook, or will just the Mac version support this?

Your concern is understood. Yes, Windows client will have an option to make a notebook local.

2. I've got over 7000 notes in my main database; I have no desire to push the majority of my information up to the cloud. It doesn't need to be synced to other machines or my phone. It just needs to be accessible to me.

I am in the same boat here, with 11,000+ notes. I don't need to synchronize the vast majority of them via the cloud.

I need the ability to keep a totally local-only EN 3 notebook on an encrypted partition or hard drive (think hardware encryption on a USB drive or TrueCrypt).

Yes, I realize this is only the early Beta, so I am not getting upset. I do want to join Crane in noting that we need (eventually) a way to have totally local-only EN 3 notebooks.

I think you're missing the point here dstav:

1. I've signed an NDA before that wouldn't even let me leave my laptop in my trunk, unless it was cable locked to the car. Do you really think that company would let me keep any information in a program that is going to put it in the cloud, regardless of how safe you say it is?

The NDAs I see these days insist on an encrypted hard drive never out of my control. Leaving it in my car would never happen. It is on my desk and in my sight, in my messenger bag on my shoulder, or in my (huge honking) safe.

Your concern is understood. Yes, Windows client will have an option to make a notebook local.

I am only following the current development on the forum (no EN3 beta tester). From other posts I learned that there are no more unique databases but only one all-embracing one, even though there is a concept of notebooks to separate the notes. Did I understand that correct?

How will EverNote ensure that one will not enter accidentially a note to the wrong notebook so that it will get synched with the cloud?

-Jens

I am only following the current development on the forum (no EN3 beta tester). From other posts I learned that there are no more unique databases but only one all-embracing one, even though there is a concept of notebooks to separate the notes. Did I understand that correct?
How will EverNote ensure that one will not enter accidentially a note to the wrong notebook so that it will get synched with the cloud?

Yes, instead of having multiple database files, you will have multiple notebooks, which are lot easier to use.

Evernote will not (and why should it?) ensure that the user will put right data into the right place. Only user knows about where he is going to put the note. Evernote just preserves the selection on a notebook wherever possible in any operations, including pressing the 'All notes' button. So, you just select the desired notebook, and work with it for as long as you need, then manually select another notebook and work with it from now on -- all clips will go into the selected notebook.

If the user has mistakenly put the note into the wrong notebook, he can drag the note into the right notebook and resync.

Yes, instead of having multiple database files, you will have multiple notebooks, which are lot easier to use.

Actually, right now, in this very early version of the EN 3.0 Beta code, multiple notebooks are not (yet) easier to use than multiple EN 2.2 databases. If/when we can de-select some notebooks and make them completely vanish from view in the UI (no uniquely associated tags visible, no uniquely associated saved searches visible), I can envision how a single EN 3 database (synchronized with the web server, even), multiple (dozens or hundreds of) de-selectable notebooks, and many Out-Of-Tape (OOT) notes would be easier to use and manage than a host of different EN 2.2 databases.

Right now, in a purpose-specific EN 2.2 database, all of my other databases' contents and categories are NOT in my face all the time. In the current EN 3.0 Beta code, all of my notebooks and their Tags and Saved Searches ARE ALWAYS in my face all the time. The visual clutter is overwhelming my tiny blond brain. Even with a mere 3 notebooks and a total of 160 notes in EN 3 I am suffering from superfluous information overload when I only want to look at (and think about) one specific selected notebook.

But I know that the EN 3. Beta is extremely young (it is just a baby that we have had for a day or two, it is not reasonable to complain that it has not yet graduated from Harvard with both a PhD and an MD). I'm trying to wrap my head around the possible use models.

Way back in EverNote 1, the dream was a single database with everything in it. That idea foundered on the reef of performance and synchronization with USB stick issues. So then we moved to multiple databases (where we are today with EN 2.2). Then we got those wonderful Out-Of-Tape notes so we could see many notes from a single database simultaneously. So now I see the EN developers returning to the original dream of "all your notes in one place". I think the vision can make sense, assuming we can all overcome storage, bandwidth, synchronization, and access issues.

From another perspective entirely, there is no way I dare put NDA material into a local-only notebook in a database along with other notebooks that could get shared onto the cloud. I suspect that the way to overcome that problem is to have multiple accounts, with some accounts (I said accounts, not databases) being local-only and others being shared with the cloud web server. I'm sure we can work that out. I see that the EN 3.0 Beta code already has what I think is support for multiple accounts (Account > Close and Account > Switch), so I get the impression the EN developers have already thought that issue through.

Evernote will not (and why should it?) ensure that the user will put right data into the right place. Only user knows about where he is going to put the note.

Actually, right now, with multple EN 2.2 databases, EverNote does ensure that the user will only put the right data into the right place. I open one EN 2.2 database and start clipping. My clipping will not accidentally go into any of my other EN 2.2 databases, which I have purposely not opened to avoid any possibility of data going into them.

Why should EN assure that the user will put the right data in the right place? Because it is vital that the data not go into the wrong place (especially not up to the cloud, where it could be seen by other people and by web spiders). When I have a client-specific database it is essential that I not put any of that client's data into the wrong place.

Here on the ENUF today we have people who are consultants, people who work for more than one boss in more than one organization, people who work in law offices, people who work in government, MDs managing patient files, etc. All of these people need to be certain that the data they are entering into EverNote does not go to the "wrong place".

Perhaps in EN 3 there might be a way to temporarily not only de-select but to fully disable all of the notebooks except one? I'm just thinking out loud here, I suspect that the current answer is to have multiple EN accounts.

Archived