Evernote service status on May 18 2015

• Level 5*

If you didn't see problems flagged in the status report,  there were no problems of which Evernote was aware.  Temporary problems can be phone system or internet glitches in your area,  or traffic jams on the server.  Stuff happens.

• Level 5*

If you didn't see problems flagged in the status report,  there were no problems of which Evernote was aware.

Actually, there have been a number of cases of Evernote Service outage that was NOT reported on the Status site, at least not in a timely manner.

I'm not sure about the Evernote Service, but earlier today I was experiencing delays, and "Service Not Available" when trying to access these forums.

But since this Discussion site requires the Evernote Service to validate our logon, it could be related.

At the same time my test at Speedtest.net reported that I had > 100Mbps D/L speed.

• Level 5*

Any actual examples available?

If you will do a search on "outage" you will find several.

Here's one:  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36339-evernote-service-outage/

The problem, Gaz, is that you make statements like this as if you authoritative knowledge, which you do not.

If you want to post a guess, which is of dubious value, then say it's a guess.

If you didn't see problems flagged in the status report,  there were no problems of which Evernote was aware. 

• Level 5*

The one you quote is 2 years old,  but thanks for the suggestion - doing a web search I found a couple of websites that monitor whether various sites are currently available - 

http://www.currentlydown.com/evernote.com

and 

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/evernote.com.html

Although it's only a guess and obviously of dubious value,  I'd say those two sites will allow probably help users to determine whether it's their local systems or the internet causing problems,  or whether Evernote has actually thrown one of it's very occasional wobbly moments...

• Level 5*

The best indicator I have found of whether or not there is a problem with the service offered by any company/web site, is common sense:

1. Everything was working fine, and then, without any changes on my end, the service becomes intermittent or unavailable.
  2. I confirm my Internet access using tools like SpeedTest.net
  3. I confirm I can access other services and web sites.
  4. To cover all bases, I restart my PC/Mac.
  5. If the access problems continue, it is most likely a problem with the service.

Companies hate to officially confirm issues with their service and/or web site, so they will delay/deny any issues until the issue becomes evident to all.

I have known many companies that maintain a "status" web page, and virtually all are slow to acknowledge outages.

Gaz, as always, you are quick to take the side of Evernote without supporting facts.

I greatly value Evernote, and will defend them when the facts are on their side.

But I will not automatically assume that they are always right or without fault.

I try to keep an open mind and be objective, and to listen to the user's posts.

If I have ideas or suspicions that might be helpful to the user, I will share, but qualify my post as just that, and idea or suspicion or opinion.

I don't post my opinion unless I think it there is a good possibility it will be helpful.

I don't post my opinion about issues with Evernote clients and platforms that I don't use.

IMO, the worst thing we (experienced Evernote users) can do is to mislead other users.

JM - The fact I have a different opinion from yours doesn't make me an Evernote ringer or, necessarily, wrong. Do have a nice day now.

There's not a darned thing wrong or misleading in your posts Gaz. I don't know why JMiU must regularly argue with the other users he doesn't like. But it's distracting (NOISE) and takes the thread totally off topic.

@Gaz: You have contributed as much as anyone to "scaring the audience".

If you'll look back over the posts, I make a joke about reinstalling, and then suggested that the user submit a bug report.

It was you that started this whole debate about bugs by making the rebuttal comment "I don't think this qualifies as a 'bug'", when you didn't have the factual basis or logic to make such a claim.

You can move on by stop trying to make me look like the bad guy, and just deal with the technical issues as we agreed to earlier.

You do a darned good job of making yourself look like the bad guy. Let's see...this week alone, you've nitpicked with csihilling:https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80104-manual-sorting-and-the-design-objection/page-2#entry345419

Jefito & GM:https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41178-evernote-annoyance-creating-sub-folders/page-3

And Gaz. (And I've not even linked to the various threads - this week alone).

Maybe you should step away from the keyboard & take a lot of deep breaths, since you seem to be a huge contributor of (to use your term), noise.

And the madness continues...JMiU please stop arguing about and nitpicking EVERY SINGLE THING THAT someone you don't like says. MOVE ON.https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80104-manual-sorting-and-the-design-objection/?p=346772

If I have ideas or suspicions that might be helpful to the user, I will share,

Your opinion on Gaz (and all the other fellow users you take issue with) & his (their) posts is not helpful to users. Once again, please stop nitpicking on every leetle, teeny, tiny thing you don't like about other users. It takes the thread off topic and is not helpful at all.

• Level 5*

JM - The fact I have a different opinion from yours doesn't make me an Evernote ringer or,  necessarily,  wrong.  Do have a nice day now.

Gaz:  I didn't say you having a different opinion than mine meant any of that.

I have no problem with anyone, including you, presenting their opinion, as long as they don't represent it as authoritative fact (when in fact it is not) that could mislead users.  Being the long-time, experienced, Internet user that you are, I would have thought that you would know the well-accepted convention for identifying your statement as an opinion is to use "IMO" or "IMHO".  

By all means, please feel free to prontificate  as much as you like, while keeping on-topic.   ;)   

Archived