Upgrade your team sidebar nag and hard to dismiss overlay?

ScottLougheed

Idea

Since the change to the paid tiers took place, there seems to be a non-removable sidebar nag to "upgrade your team", even for me, a premium user. When clicked, you are presented with an overlay describing Evernote Premium for Business. This overlay can only be dismissed by pressing the escape key. It cannot be dismissed by clicking outside of the overlay, nor does the overlay itself has an "x" or "close" button. 

Have other Premium users encountered this sidebar item and overlay? Have you been able to remove it from your sidebar?

For EN staff who might come across this:

1) It does not make sense to thrust this advertisement on Premium users. There is no guarantee that a given premium user is part of a team, or is in a position to make such decisions even if they are part of a team.

2) This sidebar item needs to be removable. Why allow premium users to remove Market and Announcements and Ads, but not this? Where's the logic in that. 

3) The hard-to-dismiss overlay is frustrating and a bit aggressive. 

Overall this is a disappointingly forceful move on Evernote's part. 

12 replies to this idea

I also saw where they addressed this in the latest beta, which is great. But I'm still curious as to why Evernote systems aren't more intelligent when it comes to "group" features. They also touted the Work Chat thing very heavily, and it has a default spot on the top bar. IMO, the system should know I am not part of a team, so I have no one with whom to start a work chat (so stop asking). I also could not upgrade said non-existent team even if I wanted to, because — apart from the obvious — I have no authority over my company's IT department.

Granted, these are minor annoyances from a user perspective, but I still don't get trying to sell team features to a one-person team.

I also saw where they addressed this in the latest beta, which is great. But I'm still curious as to why Evernote systems aren't more intelligent when it comes to "group" features. They also touted the Work Chat thing very heavily, and it has a default spot on the top bar. IMO, the system should know I am not part of a team, so I have no one with whom to start a work chat (so stop asking). I also could not upgrade said non-existent team even if I wanted to, because — apart from the obvious — I have no authority over my company's IT department.

Granted, these are minor annoyances from a user perspective, but I still don't get trying to sell team features to a one-person team.

It's difficult to know whether a user is part of a team or not. I am not part of a team, but I do share several notebooks, as well as a number of individual notes, with my partner. For this we use Work Chat, since that is how two evernote users share notes and notebooks. 

However, Evernote has no way of knowing whether my partner and I are part of a "team" or simply just coordinating household affairs. Therefore, Evernote would have no way of knowing whether it should or should not serve me up an ad to "upgrade my team". 

I also think we should avoid conflating Work Chat and Evernote Premium for Business. These are two different things entirely. Work Chat is something that ALL Evernote users, regardless of their subscription, must use if they want to share with another Evernote user (whether they are part of a "team" or not!). Evernote Premium for Business almost only ever would make sense in the context of an actual "team" or business. Thus, work chat concerns every Evernote user that has a need to share a note or notebook with another Evernote user, whereas Evernote Premium for Business only ever concerns people who are involved in a business (or similar). 

Good points. I was essentially conflating "team" with "a group of Business users." As you pointed out, it would be easy to tell who was part of a team and who wasn't if being on a team meant you were a Business subscriber. I didn't realize one could use Work Chat outside of the Business environment (in my defense, the name Work Chat is somewhat misleading).

So far, I've been kind of a one-man-band with Evernote among my immediate circle of contacts, so I've never been able to take advantage of the team features. I always just assumed I would need to be part of a Business crowd for those to work.

We just released 6.0.12 for direct download customers which has fixes for the weird Mavericks scrolling issue and the ability to hide the Upgrade button for Plus and Premium users.  Please upgrade if you would like either of those issues fixed.  You can read more about it and follow any discussions at the 6.0.12 release forum post.  http://bit.ly/1B8EucM.  

Good points. I was essentially conflating "team" with "a group of Business users." As you pointed out, it would be easy to tell who was part of a team and who wasn't if being on a team meant you were a Business subscriber. I didn't realize one could use Work Chat outside of the Business environment (in my defense, the name Work Chat is somewhat misleading).

So far, I've been kind of a one-man-band with Evernote among my immediate circle of contacts, so I've never been able to take advantage of the team features. I always just assumed I would need to be part of a Business crowd for those to work.

I'm with you. I was able to get my partner on board, but as far as colleagues go, no such luck, but I've since stopped using Evernote for work related tasks anyhow, so its a good thing I never onboarded my colleagues anyway! 

We just released 6.0.12 for direct download customers which has fixes for the weird Mavericks scrolling issue and the ability to hide the Upgrade button for Plus and Premium users.  Please upgrade if you would like either of those issues fixed.  You can read more about it and follow any discussions at the 6.0.12 release forum post.  http://bit.ly/1B8EucM.  

Great, thanks for the update Marcus! 

On 5/18/2015 at 8:14 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

Is it a bug that there is no option to remove the Upgrade button for Plus users on the current Mac version, 6.11.1? 

• Level 5*

Hi.  I don't believe so - Evernote Marketing Department have a reputation to maintain... 

By the way please don't post twice on the same subject -

We're a mainly user-supported forum,  and the extra traffic doesn't make the point any more strongly...

Archived