(Archived) Sync needs some education

I've imported a small (83 notes) ENbase into 3.0 on the PC client. This particular ENbase has lots of images, so Evernote (I still prefer "EverNote") is churning away indexing them. And synchroninzing between each-and-every note, which seems silly and wasteful to me.

I feel that the Sync should be 'educated' to know not to sync between each-and-every note when a large index is happening.

post-6645-131906061577_thumb.jpg

Drew -

Thanks for the feedback. It's a bit tough to figure out what the "right thing" to do is here. From an Ever[Nn]ote perspective, it would be a lot easier on us if we only synched to the server after a Note had been locally indexed, but we were a bit worried about how this would feel to the user. It would take a lot longer for their notes to appear on the server. It would also mean that you couldn't load a set of images into your desktop client, hit "sync", and then close up your laptop to get on an airplane without waiting a few minutes for them to index locally.

The way we're doing it now is: send up the note (hypertext + images/audio/etc.) as soon as you sync. When image indexing is complete, just send the index data on the next update. I.e. the images are not resent, just the index information about the images. So we send notes up to the server ASAP and then try to keep the traffic as low as possible for incremental updates later.

We'd be interested to hear users' opinions on this topic, however. Is it useful to you to see your notes on the server as soon as possible after they are created?

My thinking is that I want to import an ENbase (from 2.2.1) and walk away, come back after a while (after the indexing is complete) and find a friendly message on my screen that says, "200 note were indexed (it took 10:23) and 200 notes were successfully synced". Or somesuch.

When I saw EverNote3 synching after each-and-every note, I thought something was wrong...

Maybe if EverNote3 realizes that it's got more than, say, 25 notes to index, it automatically switches to "batch sync" mode?

For larger indexing jobs (say, after an import), I think I'd rather see it INDEX ALL first and then SYNC ALL, and have the sync do it all in one squirt rather than hundreds of individual syncs.

My thinking is that I want to import an ENbase (from 2.2.1) and walk away, come back after a while (after the indexing is complete) and find a friendly message on my screen that says, "200 note were indexed (it took 10:23) and 200 notes were successfully synced". Or somesuch.

When I saw EverNote3 synching after each-and-every note, I thought something was wrong...

Maybe if EverNote3 realizes that it's got more than, say, 25 notes to index, it automatically switches to "batch sync" mode?

For larger indexing jobs (say, after an import), I think I'd rather see it INDEX ALL first and then SYNC ALL, and have the sync do it all in one squirt rather than hundreds of individual syncs.

RTFM. :shock: You can control synchronization to happen:

• [*:e762c]not at all
    [*:e762c]every set time period (e.g. every 30 minutes, that is what I use, see the graphic)
    [*:e762c]after every change.

Account > Properties > Synchronization

As a side note, indexing in EN 3.0 seems to me to be a heck of a lot faster than I recall in EN 2.2.

post-1824-131906061581_thumb.png

I did RTFM, and was talking about default behavior -- regardless of settings -- of importing/synching.

I think I understand where you are coming from, but I have to ask why? When you are synchronizing to a USB stick, I agree those options make sense. But when you are continuously incrementally synchronizing to the cloud, does it matter (maybe it does, and I don't yet understand). I like the carefree hands-off model of EN 3 synchronization via the cloud. If I am working on a device and I wander off, the synthronizaion will proceed. If I am not fully synchronized, the next time I connect up the device to the web, synchronization will continue. It all gets done and I don't have to worry my little blond head about it. (Which I really like.)

If I understand the archtecture of the new "star" configuration (everything goes through the web server), there is no master copy of the database. There are only devices awaiting synchronization. I can readily see scanarios where I have updated notes on multiple devices, all awaiting synchronization via the web service (and I can even update notes directly on the web service via the web browser interface, without any device). Whenever I hook up a device that device gets updated with the most current data set known to the web server. Gloriously, I don't have to worry about this. (Yes, I have worked with big commercial databases for years, and yes, I know what pending and posting mean.)

If I am concerned about any one device, I can just press F9 to make the udpate completely happen before I disconnect the device from the web. I don't see a need to have all the CPU and network load from continuous synchronization, so I set synchronization to happen automatically every half hour.

If I am really concerned that everything stays up-to-date, I can set synchronizaton on my Windows client to update with every change. Then everything on the device stays up-to-date (in both directions) all the time.

If I had to carry the USB stick around myself, I would care tremendously about all of this. But with the automated EverNote 3 web service, I don't think this is a big deal at all. Am I mssing something vital here (it wouldn't be the first time)?

Archived