Reminders search grammar assistance - not returning correct dates?

• Level 5*

Hello all! I hope I don't embarrass myself with this question, but I am struggling on my own, so here goes nothing!

I'm trying to use the Reminders search grammar for the first time, and I'm not getting it to behave. When I follow the Search Grammar's instructions:

reminderTime:[datetime] - matches notes with a reminderTime attribute that is equal to or later than the argument datetime. reminderTime is the time at which the user has requested a reminder about the note. E.g.:

• reminderTime:day
    • Matches all notes with a reminder set for today
  • reminderTime:day+7
    • Matches all notes with a reminder set for the next 7 days

I don't get the search results described. A search of reminderTime:day pulls up notes that all have dated reminders, but the dates are all over the place (through July). Same thing happens when I search reminderTime:20150512 or reminderTime:day+5. I really hope I'm just doing it incorrectly, and would love it if someone could point me the right way. Thanks in advance :)

Photos below to explain better than my words.

GubJk_YUkD-3000x3000.jpeg

lXTNLgUnL_-2000x2000.png

5iNzqoOneF-2000x2000.png

QgEuNVwbRO-3000x3000.png

• Level 5*

Yeah, the documentation is not so good on this one.  remindertime:day returns all reminders from today on, including any future reminders you may have marked as done.  If you want only open reminders for today try remindertime:day -remindertime:day+1 -reminderdonetime:20100101

Side note, the day parameter only started working in the last couple of releases, forget which one exactly,  Prior to that it was useless.  As such I created some PhaseExpress hotkeys using the dynamic date logic therein for my reminder searches.  Funny thing is even after day got fixed I have stuck with the hotkeys.  Win-Alt-T for today's open tasks is faster than the saved search mouse work for me.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

Try this for showing ONLY the Reminders due TODAY:

remindertime:day -remindertime:day+1

Thanks for the reply! That works! I never would have figured that out from the way the Search Grammar is written...

It also shows completed reminders, and now I can't find a way to modify that. All completed reminders are in one notebook, but adding -notebook:"W-!Completed" doesn't work. Harumph...

• Level 5*

Yeah, the documentation is not so good on this one.  remindertime:day returns all reminders from today on, including any future reminders you may have marked as done.  If you want only open reminders for today try remindertime:day -remindertime:day+1 -reminderdonetime:20100101

Side note, the day parameter only started working in the last couple of releases, forget which one exactly,  Prior to that it was useless.  As such I created some PhaseExpress hotkeys using the dynamic date logic therein for my reminder searches.  Funny thing is even after day got fixed I have stuck with the hotkeys.  Win-Alt-T for today's open tasks is faster than the saved search mouse work for me.  FWIW.

Ah, and there's my solution, thank you! Yeah, the Search Grammar really does not clarify the ACTUAL process for this. Saying that reminderTime:day will return items due today seems blatantly false.

I also love PhraseExpress (and TextExpander on Mac) so I'll give this a go! My only concern is mobile use, which is about 1/3 of the time I'm in Evernote. I can't get the TextExpander keyboard to work on my iPhone (it keeps replacing my phrases with what seems to be the default keyboard's spellcheck. Grr!). Lately the sync between the two desktop apps has been off as well, so I'm ending up with 3-4 TextExpander files in my PhraseExpress. Not sure which one is causing the issue, but it's truly a minor concern. Thanks for the tip!

• Level 5*

You are welcome.  Understand the iDevice issue with text expander apps.  Perhaps a few strategic saved searches in the synched shortcuts bar will do the job now that the day parameter works (not possible before).  I have 7 hot key reminder searches (don't ask) and only Today made its way to the search bar.  FWIW.

I use PhraseExpress on Windows and the plain old Shortcuts feature buried deep in the iOS Settings menu. Works for me and syncs between iPad and iPhone... although it could be more accessible.

• 4 months later...

Archived