How do I scan business cards with my iPhone?

• Level 5*

Have you downloaded the Scannable app from the App Store?  I believe that is the current EN direction for mobile scanning of picture/document/business cards.

Actually, you don't need Scannable; almost all of its functionality is built right into the latest version of the iOS app.

Just place the business card on a contrasting surface (so the camera can easily detect its edges), open the Evernote app, select "Camera" (WITHIN the Evernote app, NOT the separate Camera app on your phone), and point the camera in landscape mode at the business card.

Evernote will frame up the picture AND snap the picture all by itself; you don't have to do anything else -- specifically, you DON'T have to press a shutter button to take the photo of the business card.

Evernote should (in most cases!) automatically recognize that it's a business card, and then create a business-card rolodex-style note for you, extracting the information (phone numbers, etc).

• Level 5*

Which it did you download?

I have scanned business cards with the EN IOS app and Scannable.  For me, when I have Scannable set to Manual it seems a bit quicker.  Neither is as accurate as I would like in plucking the fields from the card.  Funny the two apps don't work the same, being from the same company and all.  I end up editing most cards on my PC anyay.  But either does a passable job of getting the card to EN.  

• 1 month later...

Did you figure it out? With automatic off,  What I did was go to Evernote->photo then take a photo of the card in landscape mode. Then I clicked on the picture to bring it into focus, then tapped the "save as" menu in the lower middle of the screen, and selected "business card" . It OCR'd it and did a good job of recognizing the fields and the data. It missed a couple so I filled them in manually. 

It also works with "automatic" enabled. That is where you do the same thing, except it will detect the edges , ocr it, and let you select "business card" as the document type as well. 

Archived