Set Default Notebook for Shared Links?

drkokandy

Idea

I love the function that allows me to use Android's system-wide "Share..." feature to clip an article I'm reading in Chrome, for instance.

However, it's driving me a little crazy, because Evernote 100%, all the time, without fail, puts a newly-clipped article in one particular wrong notebook. You'd think the system would put it in the most recently used notebook, or try to guess at the context like the web clipper does, or maybe just add it to my original, default, came-with-my-account notebook ... but instead it puts all new articles in a notebook I have for a particular specific niche set of notes.

I do not want new web clippings in this notebook.

It's getting to the point that I'm now using Pocket for clipping some things for later, because it's a miserable experience to re-file a bunch of notes in the Evernote Android app (3 taps to move notebooks, and you can only refile one clip at a time), and I don't want to have to remember to sort all my new clips on my computer when I get home.

I've been through the few user-accessible options in the Android app, and there seems to be no way to set a default notebook for new web clippings on Android.

Please add this feature. Or, if it's already there, please make it easier to find - I've been searching for it a few times.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Don't think this feature exists yet..  Is the inappropriate notebook you;re referring to set as your default?  Have you had a look at the settings in your preferred desktop browser clipper?  If you're a premium user,  it's worth a support ticket to find out,  otherwise we can only hope that an Evernote Android Guru will lean in and share their thoughts on this...

Hi. I believe I know what you're referring to and it had me stumped for the longest time.

When you use the Share function on your android to clip something from the internet, you'll see - briefly, so watch for it - a round elephant icon with a spinner going around it. Tap the elephant before it stops spinning. This will bring up a box showing the your Notebook default and under that, an area where you can add Tags.

* To change the destination Notebook tap on it and it will bring up your Notebook Menu, where you can choose an exiting one or create a new one. Then click OK at the menu bottom.

* If you want to add Tags after choosing your Notebook, then tap the Tags area to bring up your Tags Menu.

I love the function that allows me to use Android's system-wide "Share..." feature to clip an article I'm reading in Chrome, for instance.

However, it's driving me a little crazy, because Evernote 100%, all the time, without fail, puts a newly-clipped article in one particular wrong notebook. You'd think the system would put it in the most recently used notebook, or try to guess at the context like the web clipper does, or maybe just add it to my original, default, came-with-my-account notebook ... but instead it puts all new articles in a notebook I have for a particular specific niche set of notes.

I do not want new web clippings in this notebook.

It's getting to the point that I'm now using Pocket for clipping some things for later, because it's a miserable experience to re-file a bunch of notes in the Evernote Android app (3 taps to move notebooks, and you can only refile one clip at a time), and I don't want to have to remember to sort all my new clips on my computer when I get home.

I've been through the few user-accessible options in the Android app, and there seems to be no way to set a default notebook for new web clippings on Android.

Please add this feature. Or, if it's already there, please make it easier to find - I've been searching for it a few times.

Haha, certainly not a guru, especially compared to you, Gaz!

This was a problem I grapppled with for the longest time. I even asked about is several times on the Forum, but wasn't able to clearly express what the problem was. Then a few months I responded to an Evernote Blog post in my Facebook feed and mentioned it in my reply. An EN staffer noticed and played 20 Question with me until he realized what I'd been missing the whole time... The green Elephant! Until then, I thought is was just a way to decorate the spinning disc, so never even thought to try tapping on it!

• Level 5*

Guru or not I totally missed the Elephant-tap until someone else pointed it out before - @Jefito originally I think.  Spinning "I'm thinking" icons don't usually say "Tap Me!" to me..   ;)

Archived