Evernote, Windows, and Stylus

librewolf

I've searched and found no answer so I am hoping this question / problem fits here.

I have a Dell 7000 2-in-1 and a Dell active stylus (and a passive one as well), and I am running under Win 8. For the life of me I cannot write with the stylus in a note. I know that the stylus works and I can write - either through the keyboard function, Paint, or OneNote. So, is this

1 a computer issue (you can't do it with the computer I have);

2 a stylus issue (you can write with a stylus in Evernote, but you need to use 'x' styli);

3 or an Evernote issue (it doesn't have the capacity (yet) to do that with a PC.

If you can only write IN a note with specific stylu (say Jot 3), will that stylus work with the computer I have?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

• Level 5*

Hi.  We're a user forum here,  so app-specific tech questions tend to be above the (un)pay grade - if you're able to get Dell support you could maybe try them,  and if you're a premium subscriber you can raise a support request by choosing the appropriate option in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

You'll also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.

If you're a free user you'll have to depend on other Dell users with that stylus (I have a Dell,  but no stylus) to comment on possible work-arounds.

I can only suggest that you uninstall both Evernote and (if possible) the stylus,  then reinstall Evernote first,  then the stylus.

(Backup your databases folder to your desktop first - Tools > Options > General for the location,  then File > Exit before you backup.)

There may be some stylus settings you can play with (see Dell for that) - but Evernote will accept input from Jot Script stylii,  so it does work for some...

Thanks for redirecting me. I did speak with Dell tech support before coming to this forum and they had told me that they couldn't tell me what would (or would not) work with various applications. I saw this as an Evernote function / feature question and not as tech support. Sorry.

Spoke with tech support and the answer is that Evernote ONLY supports handwritten notes from iOS, and Android MOBILE operating sustems. Windows is OUT. Just in case anyone else wonders about some aspect of this issue.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the feedback,  and I'm glad you got clarification though - speaking as a Windows user - it is a bit of a pain.  I hope whatever quirk of the Windows OS (or Evernote's internal decision making) prevents them from adding this gets resolved at some stage in the reasonably near future.  Like HD and Touch screens,  handwriting tech is an expected add-in and I'd like to be able to join the party...

Hi Liam. I am not quite sure what you are asking. As far as I know, the stylus does serve a mouse function, but also a "finger" function. So "ink note" I presume means that it is serving in a "writing" function which can then be converted to typewritten text if one wants. One Note does that. You write in the note field, circle to select the note, and then select convert. However, I don't think that is what you are pointing out.

So "ink note" I presume means that it is serving in a "writing" function which can then be converted to typewritten text if one wants. One Note does that. You write in the note field, circle to select the note, and then select convert. However, I don't think that is what you are pointing out.

In the Windows EN client, you can specifically create an 'Ink Note'. On a normal PC the mouse pointer becomes a drawing tool and you can write straight into the note. Simple shapes can be cleaned up too (EN will recognise roughly-drawn circles, rectangles and triangles). It's pretty pointless with a mouse, but you might find that it works nicely with your stylus.

There's no option in this mode to translate hand-writing to text though.

Archived