Note links not opening desktop client app

Recently Evernote note links (not with sharing, just private links to notes) stopped opening the desktop client when clicked. I used to click on them, and they would open in a browser tab, then immediately launch the desktop client and show the note. Now, they just open the browser tab. This likely changed after a recent version upgrade.

Any ideas to get note links working smoothly with the desktop app again? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Wow. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Fifteen flipping steps just to put a link on my desktop to a note. Additionally, my browser has to open up as well before it can redirect back to the desktop client. Thanks Evernote for the biggest circle jerk around I have ever seen using a PC in the last 30 years. I would have expected more from Evernote. You must have had some serious rocket sciencing going on in the lab to come up with this kind of fiasco. i have a suggestion, since you repurposed the "Copy Note Link" function obviously much to the dismay OF NUMEROUS EVERNOTE CUSTOMERS. Howabout you add the function "Add Shorctut to Desktop". Do you think that would impose to much on your lab's job security? Do you think that they could squeeze that into their rocket sciencing? I won't hold my breath, but thank you for your consideration.

• 2 years later...

It’s odd. So, when I use the EN web clippper IN Chrome to clip a website page  into an EN note and then click on that link it creates, it immediately opens up the note in my EN native app. However, when I create a private link by right clicking on the note preview of the desktop app, selecting “copy internal link” and then copy it in word doc for example, if I click that link it just opens the note up in Chrome and doesn’t redirect back to the native app. We do everything in my office from the native app and when an guest user sends us these http private links I would love for chrome to redirect back to the native software. 

I noticed this just recently when we had a guest collaborator that works with the online version so I don’t know exactly when it started happening but it was 2015 when I know for a fact it used to redirect automatically

• Level 5
On 2/18/2018 at 5:30 AM, 351530 said:

However, when I create a private link by right clicking on the note preview of the desktop app, selecting “copy internal link” and then copy it in word doc for example, if I click that link it just opens the note up in Chrome and doesn’t redirect back to the native app.

When you do that action, Evernote will create a link with the form https://www.evernote.com/shard/.... That link, if used within Evernote, will appear as the title of the note, underlined and in green, and when clicked will open the corresponding note. If pasted into a Word document or used to create a shortcut in Windows, it will open the note in your Web browser, as you've experienced.

However, if you hold down Ctrl while clicking "Copy internal link," you'll get a link with the form evernote:///view/.... That link, used within Evernote, will function the same as the other type. But used elsewhere, it will open the note in the Evernote program rather than the browser. Word may not format it as a link automatically, and may warn you about security issues when you Ctrl+click it. But it will work as you wish. This type of link can be used in any program or document that supports hyperlinking, and in the Windows Run command dialog. It's also handy for creating shortcuts on the desktop or in a folder.

Hope that helps!

On 2/18/2018 at 3:30 AM, 351530 said:

It’s odd. So, when I use the EN web clippper IN Chrome to clip a website page  into an EN note and then click on that link it creates, it immediately opens up the note in my EN native app. However, when I create a private link by right clicking on the note preview of the desktop app, selecting “copy internal link” and then copy it in word doc for example, if I click that link it just opens the note up in Chrome and doesn’t redirect back to the native app. We do everything in my office from the native app and when an guest user sends us these http private links I would love for chrome to redirect back to the native software. 

I noticed this just recently when we had a guest collaborator that works with the online version so I don’t know exactly when it started happening but it was 2015 when I know for a fact it used to redirect automatically

Mine has not stopped working. When I use the link as you describe, either in Chrome or MS Word, it opens in Chrome, but then immediately automatically opens in the Evernote application. I'm on Windows 7, if that makes a difference.

It has been behaving this way since my original post in 2015 with the link above, to the moment I tested it just now. Perhaps you're saying that using the steps at my link does not enable a new PC to work in this way? Or are you saying that a PC previously configured using the steps in my link suddenly stopped redirecting to the app?

If you use the keyboard, you get the App link.

LCtrl+LAlt+L

I don't know why but that's how it works. 

I accidentally discovered it because I have a text expander for it and the note links I save that way has the evernote:// link to it and opens it in the Evernote application when I click from a Todoist note. If I select the note and use the mouse to copy the internal link option, then I get the www.evernote.... option.

Try it and let me know.

Yeah thanks, that’s what I discovered too and is a decent work around. 

My issue is that I use Slack to collaborate both internally (with users that use the native app) and external users (which use the online version of EN. So ideally we’re all just sharing the private link starting with http: and when clicked on it takes the user to whichever environment they use.

i just don’t understand why an http link created in the Evernote Web Clicker is able to open the native app and why one created in the native app doesn’t trigger the same redirect on Chrome. Any thoughts?

7 hours ago, mz123 said:

Mine has not stopped working. When I use the link as you describe, either in Chrome or MS Word, it opens in Chrome, but then immediately automatically opens in the Evernote application. I'm on Windows 7, if that makes a difference.

It has been behaving this way since my original post in 2015 with the link above, to the moment I tested it just now. Perhaps you're saying that using the steps at my link does not enable a new PC to work in this way? Or are you saying that a PC previously configured using the steps in my link suddenly stopped redirecting to the app?

That’s the dream. I’ve cleared my cache and taken all those steps and still nothing.

Archived