"Your local Evernote data is being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the latest version"

I've been using Evernote for over a year now (on my iMac, Macbook and iPhone), and lately, when I try to open the program on my iMac, I get this error message:

"Your local Evernote data is being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the latest version"

I have read many forum responses to this and followed their advice:

1) I used AppZapper to get rid of my current version.

2) I deleted evernote files that were in the trash

3) I looked for these files:

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper

but could not find them

4) I rebooted my computer

5) I downloaded and re-installed the latest version.

STILL, I get the same error message.  Not sure what to do.  PLEASE HELP!

• Level 5*
@Matthew DePasquale:

Make sure you have emptied the Mac Trash to permanently delete the Evernote files, including the app.

AppZapper may not find all files.

There are several Mac app uninstallers available, but some do NOT search hidden folders/files.  My preference is AppDelete Mac App Uninstaller,  as it seems to be the most comprehensive.  See the user reviews at MacUpdate.com

• 1 year later...

I'm trying the AppCleaner now... fingers crossed. And believe me I've spent hours trying to get this thing reinstalled, and I've tried restarting and emptying the trash a bunch of times. 

computer restarted... trash emptied... computer restarted again... fresh version downloaded (i'm not taking any chances on this one). Evernote unzipped, reinstalled, log in and....

YESS! IT WORKED! THANK YOU *kisses face* THANK YOU APP CLEANER *begins sobbing from joy*

On 9/14/2016 at 0:20 PM, kmacwi said:

I'm trying the AppCleaner now... fingers crossed. And believe me I've spent hours trying to get this thing reinstalled, and I've tried restarting and emptying the trash a bunch of times. 

computer restarted... trash emptied... computer restarted again... fresh version downloaded (i'm not taking any chances on this one). Evernote unzipped, reinstalled, log in and....

YESS! IT WORKED! THANK YOU *kisses face* THANK YOU APP CLEANER *begins sobbing from joy*

For reference, AppCleaner is the app we recommend in cases like these ;).

Quick note: Always make sure you have verified that all of your notes appear on the web version at evernote.com and that you have exported any un-synced or local notebooks before using AppCleaner!

Archived